What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Rufs replied on 12/04/2024 11:03

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:03

"Also had some good news a couple of days ago as her application for a Blue Badge has been accepted and should be here soon"

Good news, it took almost 3 months for ours to arrive by which time my wife was much more mobile than when we applied, however, it is very useful especially on the occasions when we use the wheelchair.

We carry this in the boot of the Sorento and you can always park in a good spot for easy access etc using the blue badge, but a note of warning, where we live you get free parking using a blue badge and you dont have to be in a disabled bay, these are now becoming much more difficult to find, however, we found down in the west country, Devon, you had to pay for how ever long you thought you needed but there was a discretionay 1 hour added to give you time to return possibly late without being penalised.

Best to read the notice, it would appear there are lots of annomolies,

gorgeous, day 2 lots of washing out and i have just cut the grass, bring it on cool

DSB replied on 12/04/2024 11:09

Posted on 10/04/2024 21:40 by DSB

I'm really making ths same  consideration, Rufs.  I can keep the sides 'topped up' eith a dry wash, but the roof is another matter....  I keep putting it off... 🙂

Best of luck with the Drs appointment David.  Hope ghey managecto sort you out.

David

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:09

The dreaded page 5929....

Before the error page, some of us were talking about getting caravans professionally cleaned.  Someone suggested a company in, I think it was Nottingham or Leicester, who also do ceramic coating.  I thought I'd made a note of the company, but, for the life of me, can't find it!!  I think the post came before page 5929, but I can't get back any further than this error page (without starting at page 1 and going forward 5000 odd pages...  I can't remember who posted the info.... it might have been Rufs??

Should anyone spot this post and could re-post the name of the company, I'd be really grateful... 🙂

David

DSB replied on 12/04/2024 11:29

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:03 by Rufs

"Also had some good news a couple of days ago as her application for a Blue Badge has been accepted and should be here soon"

Good news, it took almost 3 months for ours to arrive by which time my wife was much more mobile than when we applied, however, it is very useful especially on the occasions when we use the wheelchair.

We carry this in the boot of the Sorento and you can always park in a good spot for easy access etc using the blue badge, but a note of warning, where we live you get free parking using a blue badge and you dont have to be in a disabled bay, these are now becoming much more difficult to find, however, we found down in the west country, Devon, you had to pay for how ever long you thought you needed but there was a discretionay 1 hour added to give you time to return possibly late without being penalised.

Best to read the notice, it would appear there are lots of annomolies,

gorgeous, day 2 lots of washing out and i have just cut the grass, bring it on cool

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:29

I find the Blue Badge really helpful.... even after having 2 new knees and 2 shoulders!!  I find it necessary to open the car door fully in order to get out of the car.  With the size of some of the parking spaces, and having a really large car it is quite a task.  The important thing for me is the size of the parking space rather that specifically its location 

Renewal for me was really easy.... The last time, I did my application late one evening, on-line, and I had an email back from them before 7.30pm the next morning to say it had all gone through and that I'd get the badge within 7 days.....

I really wonder whether it depends upon the resources of individual local authorities....???   My 92 year old mother-in-law, has been asked for Drs reports and has had to go for a physical assessment etc., before they eventually agreed to renew her badge.... her need if far greater than mine....  I think there is 'a lot of inconsistency'....

David

Wherenext replied on 12/04/2024 11:30

Posted on 24/03/2024 13:25 by richardandros

David - Tourershine is the company that did mine last year and Paul (the owner) did a fantastic job - I did post some pictures on here of his handiwork. Thoroughly professional, although, as you say, not cheap - but well worth it in my opinion.  He's been in the business for 30 years - caravans and auto re-finishing and certainly knows his stuff and gave me some useful tips for maintaining the van in pristine condition. He's based in Leicester but travels all over the country.

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:30

DSB - Here's Richards post with the name of the company you are looking for. Hope it helps.

richardandros replied on 12/04/2024 11:42

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:42

DSB - David, here's a link to his website.  I think the coating can only be applied to brand new caravans.  Paul's a really nice chap - give him a ring and have a chat with him about what you need doing.  Good luck! (And if you can mention I recommended him - 'Richard from Hornsea' - that might help me in persuading him to come all the way out here again, if I need him in the future!!)

Takethedogalong replied on 12/04/2024 13:29

Posted on 12/04/2024 13:29

Couple of photos from our trip out the other day. Ladybower, Derwent and Howden dams all full to the brim, hence fantastic cascade down wall of Derwent Dam. The Dambusters Museum is in the right hand tower, only open selected times.

Francis replied on 12/04/2024 20:33

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:33

We arrived on site early afternoon weather ok but site surprisingly not busy thought it would have been as it’s the school holidays. Dinner from the chippy tonight, not much planned tonight just a few drinks and telly in the van 

Hope everyone else has a nice weekend 

nelliethehooker replied on 12/04/2024 22:07

Posted on 12/04/2024 22:07

Enjoy your trip up North. Do let us know how you're doing.... and fingers crossed that the weather gets a bit brighter

David, we have been having rather mixed weather!! It rained and blew so much last evening that we lost all Wi-Fi signal!! Having continued for half the night before becoming calmer and it was dry in the morning. We had a couple of walks yesterday in Kissock Forest and at New Abbey before the rain came. Today we had a walk in Dalbeattie Forest before lunch, with the intention of a second one at Kippford after lunch, but wind and rain stopped that and we returned to the forest for our afternoon walk as it was well sheltered there. More heavy rain this afternoon and again in the evening. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Enjoy your weekend away, Francis. We will be heading up towards the Ayr coast in a few days time.

Good to read that you have been able to get out for a bit WN, and hopefully the Blue Badge will arrive soon to enable you getting in more trips.

Tda, grand photos from your trip around the Derbyshire reservoirs.

KjellNN replied on 12/04/2024 22:46

Posted on 12/04/2024 22:46

Now on the second site of our trip after spending 8 nights in York with DD and the boys.

Weather was pretty poor, so much rain and very strong winds too, had to add extra pegs to the awning!

We arrived at our York site to find a MH on the hardstanding pitch we had requested, leaving us with a HS for the van but only muddy gras  for the awning, not good when DD likes to eat in the awning for the safety of the  caravan carpet and upholstery!   Nobody around to speak to so we sited the van and waited for DD to arrive.

Just as she did, so did the occupants of the MH so we had a word with them  to ask if we could swap as they were not using an awning.  Turned out they had not actually booked a HS, but when they arrived shortly before us and found the  full HS vacant, had understandably taken it.    As the smaller HS was wide enough to allow them to exit their MH onto the gravel, they immediately said they would swap, so that was a relief.

They left on Monday and on Tuesday their pitch was completely flooded, both grass and HS, so just as well we had not had to use it.  Flood had subsided by Wednesday and another MH arrived on the pitch, however after a couple of hours they disappeared, and were later spotted parked up at on a short bit of tarmac off the end of the access road.  Presumably the flooded pitch had still been very wet.

Despite the weather, we had a good stay. Visited the Railway Museum, plus Cliffords Tower and the Shambles.  Also the Aircraft Museum, Flamborough Head, the Designer Outlet, a second visit to the Aircraft Museum to see more things, and the swimming pool at  Monk's Cross.

DD went home on Thursday, which turned out pleasantly warm and sunny, and we got all packed up dry in the afternoon.  CL here in Wales is also very wet, they have had a lot of rain.  Grass pitches are roped off, but HSs are fine.  Farmer complaining as his cows are still inside.

Tomorrow we have a brunch invitation from our friends near Ruthin, who are excellent hosts, we never need to cook ourselves a meal when here!

Traffic on the M62 was very heavy, first time we have used that road.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook