What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DEBSC replied on 10/04/2024 16:32

Posted on 10/04/2024 16:32

No chance of us cutting our grass yet, can’t even step on it as so waterlogged. Photos in local paper of cars being flooded in large car park near the estuary with the storm and the spring tide. They have closed the road at a nearby beach due to flooding. I’ve got chippings waiting to be laid/spread on the garden paths but it really hasn’t stopped raining since Sunday. Pouring at the moment. At least one of the local caravan parks has decided to close their large touring field. I know Devon is a wet county but I cannot ever remember anything like this before in spring. Ironically I do remember in lockdown and at this time of year in spring the weather was so hot we were sunbathing in the garden, today we have had the heating on all day. The birds however, are just getting on with spring as usual here, the feeders are going down extremely slowly as they are busy nesting.

DSB replied on 10/04/2024 16:59

Posted on 10/04/2024 16:59

Grass is also waterlogged here at Putts Corner CAMC site.  Just caught the edge of the grass with 'nearside' wheels of the car..... made a bit of a mess...  😢😢  tried my best!!

David

Rufs replied on 10/04/2024 17:14

Posted on 10/04/2024 16:32 by DEBSC

No chance of us cutting our grass yet, can’t even step on it as so waterlogged. Photos in local paper of cars being flooded in large car park near the estuary with the storm and the spring tide. They have closed the road at a nearby beach due to flooding. I’ve got chippings waiting to be laid/spread on the garden paths but it really hasn’t stopped raining since Sunday. Pouring at the moment. At least one of the local caravan parks has decided to close their large touring field. I know Devon is a wet county but I cannot ever remember anything like this before in spring. Ironically I do remember in lockdown and at this time of year in spring the weather was so hot we were sunbathing in the garden, today we have had the heating on all day. The birds however, are just getting on with spring as usual here, the feeders are going down extremely slowly as they are busy nesting.

Posted on 10/04/2024 17:14

we normally spend a month just outside Tavistock, September, hopefully things will have dried out by then, but last year we left 2 days early due to storms coming in and lots of rain, site has good hard standings but drainage is not great if weather is severe and the grass field used for tenting/ caravans/motorhomes can be a bit of a nightmare, hate having the awning up when the ground inside is all quelchy. yell

HelenandTrevor replied on 10/04/2024 18:04

Posted on 08/04/2024 21:06 by nelliethehooker

Helen, we just have a basic airfrier, so no special settings, and OH just sets it initially at 12 mins at 190. She test the cake and then adjusts time depending on consistency. One thing that we have found is that the cakes rise even better than in the oven!!laughing

Posted on 10/04/2024 18:04

Thank you  Nellie, I will give it a try.

HelenandTrevor replied on 10/04/2024 18:15

Posted on 10/04/2024 18:15

Day started sunny,  and did a food shop early, but rain arrived late morning. Completed payroll year end successfully at work, which was a relief. 

OH has almost completed cleaning the caravan, he cleaned all the skylights and now only has the front to do, don't think I've ever seen it as clean. 🤔

I know what you mean about vets Ttda, the animal shelter in Cheltenham where Polly came from had there own vets, they did special rates for people who couldn't afford normal fees.

Bakers2 replied on 10/04/2024 19:42

Posted on 10/04/2024 19:42

Monday was a bright day, spring on its way? Filled my barrels and transplanted my sweetpeas into them. Tucked them in a sheltered corner. Good job - back to grey windy and damp Tuesday. Today started with a beautiful sunrise, soon to be more hazy. 

Lovely walk over the fields which are actually drying out, only got mucky on the green land where there were a couple of new 'fords', leeching their water. I haven't walked that way since Christmas as it was very wet then!

Weather changed completely mid morning, grey, damp and quite a breeze now........

On the upside our treated grass areas are coming along nicely. One more week and I'll be moaning along with others about rain needing to stop! 😉

triky auto replied on 10/04/2024 20:04

Posted on 10/04/2024 20:04

undecided Withdrawal symptons just hit  !! I.o.W booked for ten days from Saturday laughing.Just getting over the blown down gates& post disaster from January's return !! Gale force S.W 9 ,doing back in lifting out of way etc..( just one of three trials ,so far this year ) Time for chilling & relax me thinks !! cool.

DavidKlyne replied on 10/04/2024 20:47

Posted on 10/04/2024 20:47

Rufs said:- Got some professionals coming to clean the van on the 16th, feel very guilty about it, i am going to cut out my 1 can of beer per day to pay for it, well that is what i told my wife cool might have to spend some time sat in the caravan 1600 - 1700 hrs daily.

Not sure you should feel guilty about it. I should probably do the same! Given there has only been, at the very best, a marginal improvement in my knee problem I have been considering getting someone in the cut our front hedge, its about a metre high and about 20 metres in length. Thought I would get a quote especially as my brusher upper is having problems with her hip! I might have changed my mind as the quote I got was £150 and given that it needs at least two cuts a year I might have to struggle on!

Miraculously I have managed to book a face to face appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning at 8.00am. Don't know if he will still recognise me as I haven't seen him since before Covid!!! Most appointments at our surgery are either made by phone on the day or queuing up at the surgery at 8.00am. A very few appointments are put online to book and I imagine the 8.00am one is never taken up if relying on a phone or personal booking on the day?

David

DSB replied on 10/04/2024 21:40

Posted on 10/04/2024 20:47 by DavidKlyne

Rufs said:- Got some professionals coming to clean the van on the 16th, feel very guilty about it, i am going to cut out my 1 can of beer per day to pay for it, well that is what i told my wife cool might have to spend some time sat in the caravan 1600 - 1700 hrs daily.

Not sure you should feel guilty about it. I should probably do the same! Given there has only been, at the very best, a marginal improvement in my knee problem I have been considering getting someone in the cut our front hedge, its about a metre high and about 20 metres in length. Thought I would get a quote especially as my brusher upper is having problems with her hip! I might have changed my mind as the quote I got was £150 and given that it needs at least two cuts a year I might have to struggle on!

Miraculously I have managed to book a face to face appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning at 8.00am. Don't know if he will still recognise me as I haven't seen him since before Covid!!! Most appointments at our surgery are either made by phone on the day or queuing up at the surgery at 8.00am. A very few appointments are put online to book and I imagine the 8.00am one is never taken up if relying on a phone or personal booking on the day?

David

Posted on 10/04/2024 21:40

I'm really making ths same  consideration, Rufs.  I can keep the sides 'topped up' eith a dry wash, but the roof is another matter....  I keep putting it off... 🙂

Best of luck with the Drs appointment David.  Hope ghey managecto sort you out.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 10/04/2024 21:40

Posted on 10/04/2024 21:40

The day started off fine and we were able to get the van packed in the dry. It just started to rain as we were setting off and then rained on and off during the journey. Heavy rain as we passed Gretna but had just about stopped when we go to the site, so set up without getting wet. Since then we have had a couple of heavy rain showers, drizzle and mist, but it is dry at the moment so might just get our last walk in the dry. Many of the fields that we have passed on route look more like lakes!!

Helen, OH has also made cupcakes in the airfrier and we have taken cake ingredients with us to try. making some when we are away. Hope your cakes are a success.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook