What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Wherenext replied on 13/02/2024 15:28

Posted on 13/02/2024 14:24 by DSB

Raining, wet, damp here in N Warks.  In the meantime, our daughter and son-in-law, in the Outer Hebrides have bought a converted horse box for the back garden...!  You couldn't make this up!!!  It looks like they're trying to copy Johnny Vegas: Carry on Glamping..... !🤣🤣🤣

David

Posted on 13/02/2024 15:28

I'd consider as a base for exploring the island. Looks great.

Is it for their own use or will they be hiring it out?

DavidKlyne replied on 13/02/2024 16:24

Posted on 13/02/2024 16:24

We had a nice lunch with my cousin and his wife today. Sadly we both have to go to the funeral of one of our other cousins on Monday which got us discussing family history. I knew that one of my uncles, on my mothers side,  was killed in the war on Malta but didn't know the ship he was on. Geoff, my cousin,  was able to tell me it was HMS Kingston (interestingly built on the IOW) The ship was involved in all sorts of action in the Mediterranean during the early part of the war. Although there were some sailors killed in action many were actually killed when the ship was in dry dock in Malta whilst on shore during an air raid, including it seems my uncle. He is buried in the Imtarfa Military Cemetery on Malta. I just wish I had been inquisitive enough to ask all these questions and make notes years ago!!!

David

DSB replied on 13/02/2024 17:19

Posted on 13/02/2024 15:28 by Wherenext

I'd consider as a base for exploring the island. Looks great.

Is it for their own use or will they be hiring it out?

Posted on 13/02/2024 17:19

I think the idea is to rent it out when they get things sorted....  it's early days yet though.  The photos are from it's previous owner, but it looks the same - they are not picking it up until Friday.  Then they will need to landscape etc.  They do have quite a bit of room, but I think, eventually, they want to buy another plot of land locally where they can site a variety of different units.... a la Johnny Vegas Glamping.   I guess that will be a few years down the line.... who knows!!!  🤣🤣

David

HelenandTrevor replied on 13/02/2024 18:57

Posted on 13/02/2024 18:57

Glad you got thr car insurance sorted Wherenext,  I've started shopping around for our home insurance the premiums vary so much cheapest at just over £100 but never heard of the company,  🤔 up to almost £300 😱

I posted the other day a friend phoned  to say her car had been stolen, turns out she had visited a friend parked it at her house then caught the bus into town, she then caught a bus home forgetting she had left her car at her friends. We did laugh 🤣🤣🤣 

Been a thoroughly miserable day weather wise, rain on and off all day.

Love the converted horsebox DSB. 🙂

Hope everyone enjoys their pancakes tonight 😋 

Tammygirl replied on 14/02/2024 16:11

Posted on 13/02/2024 14:01 by DSB

I dread to think what my insurance premium will be on the Disco when it comes to renewal....  I think I have a few months to think about it....   I always spend time checking all tbe price comparison sites, as well as some who aren't on the price comparison.  

David

Posted on 14/02/2024 16:11

According to Martin Lewis the best time is 3 weeks before it's due. Same for house insurance they go up the nearer to renewal day it gets.

DSB replied on 14/02/2024 16:31

Posted on 14/02/2024 16:11 by Tammygirl

According to Martin Lewis the best time is 3 weeks before it's due. Same for house insurance they go up the nearer to renewal day it gets.

Posted on 14/02/2024 16:31

Yes, that's right TG.... I have my diary set so that it reminds me a month before the policies are up to give me the time to 'do the rounds' to get the best price.  However, I do like to stick with the CAMC for house insurance as I've found it generally gives me better cover - especially with regard to leaving your house unoccupied....

David

Tammygirl replied on 14/02/2024 16:39

Posted on 14/02/2024 16:39

Miserable day here as well H&T. We did manage a couple of hours in the front garden on Monday when it was nice. Took everything to the skip this morning, bins all ready for the next good day.

Off to a meet up with our friends from the West coast tomorrow. Meeting at a restaurant on the outskirts of Stirling as usual. It's a nice place that has a nice lounge we can go an have coffee in afterwards and a good chat. Works out just about half way for us both, though they take a little longer to get there due to the route they use. Haven't seen them in the flesh since September last year, think it will be a very long lunch. 

We can now look at booking our ferry for April, I've been holding off as I had to do a repeat mammogram. Went to the main hospital in Dundee yesterday and all is well, phew! 

Still not fully committed to a route but I'm fancying driving through Switzerland, then to the lakes. The German holiday is earlier this year due to an earlier Easter so will have to watch where we are when it starts. 

Would like to get away in the van first once we get some dry weather, all the fields are still flooded, rivers are high and everywhere is just so dirty with it washing onto the roads at times. The gritters were out the last 2 nights but we haven't had frost. 

It's our second eldest grandchilds birthday today, he is now 16. I know we all say it but where did the time go. He is currently in Italy with his school having his first skiing holiday. Wasn't enjoying it to start with but now enjoying it. Yesterday he managed to make it from the top to the bottom without falling over 😅 his sister (14) is doing well with her karting and has been taken on by an academy, her timings are good and hopefully now she is getting professional tuition they will continue to get even better.

WN, good to hear MIL is working through it. As you say a long process. Hope you and OH are looking after yourselves too. Take care.

KjellNN replied on 14/02/2024 20:51

Posted on 14/02/2024 20:51

Pretty miserable in Glasgow too, lot of rain, but at least the strong wind has gone.

Had a 09.00 appointment with the cardiologist, several tests, and he sees no reason why I should not have the parathyroid op, so no idea why it was cancelled back in December.   Now back on the waiting list.......no doubt it is highly likely this will result in us having to cancel our Easter trip to York with the grandchildren........or our trip to my sister in Norway's 80th in July.    Bound to be one or the  other!

Wherenext replied on 14/02/2024 21:22

Posted on 14/02/2024 21:22

Long day in the saddle for Mrs.WN today. Had to be at the hospital before 11 am and wait with her mother to be transferred by ambulance to the main hospital at Wrexham for an eye consultation. Transference took place at 1, back at 4.30.

Worth it though as Optometrist diagnosed 2 things wrong with the left eye. Can't remember technical terms but one of them described as a wobbly eye ball and the other as dizziness inducing. Not pleasant for MiL. At least she's been given permission to "correct" Physios instructions about looking dead ahead.

Back in 4 weeks to see if any improvement. 

Thought I take OH out for a meal. Forgot it's Valentines Day. Oh well it's the thought that counts. Pizza and a bottle of donated bubbly red Shiraz made do. Appreciated.

Hope you have better luck with your meal tomorrow TG.

DSB replied on 14/02/2024 21:40

Posted on 14/02/2024 21:40

Enjoy your meals out TammyGirl and Wherenext.... and anyone else who is going out this,evening.  We've decided it's back on a diet for us!!  😀

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook