What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

KjellNN replied on 10/02/2024 23:27

Posted on 10/02/2024 23:27

Today we have had a visit from the 2 little terrors, otherwise known as our grandchildren Callum and  Nathan.  Mummy needed a couple of cupboard doors altered to fit a cupboard they were never intended to be used on, meaning the hinges had to be moved, so, having prepared everything, I needed her to come and hold the doors level and straight while I drilled new hinge holes.

They came for lunch and were here till about 3.30, then I took them, and the doors, home so I could start fitting the hinges to the   cupboards.  One done and one to go.  Will finish that on Wednesday.

Otherwise, I have been turning honey dippers, a lady that sells honey  and other "bee related" products has asked me to make 6 honey dippers for her.  DD is still getting  the occasional order for spurtles, so that  all keeps me busy.

HelenandTrevor replied on 11/02/2024 08:30

Posted on 11/02/2024 08:30

I'm trying to sort our car insurance Helen. The combined percentage increase over both cars amounts to 72% surprised Don't think we'll be renewing somehow.

Wow, that's quite an increase,  my car insurance isn't due until the summer, as I don't use it that much I think I may consider selling it.

We had a call from a friend yesterday who lives on our estate to say her car had been stolen during the night,  mind you she had left her door unlocked and apparently they came in and stole the keys!  Not sure who would want to steal a 13 year old Micra. 🤔

Sorry to hear about your caravan park being flooded again DEBSC, our river had also flooded in town again.

Quiet day yesterday, bit of shopping and then sewed some buttons onto the baby cardigan I've just finished knitting. Will have to find another project now. 

DEBSC replied on 11/02/2024 10:14

Posted on 11/02/2024 10:14

I keep watching and the Avon river at Stratford it is going down but very slowly. OH gets a running report from me a few times a day on its height. It was high again, we were sent photos of the town, the bandstand in the Park is an island surrounded by water again. Swans are gliding along the water covered footpaths and right up to the edge of town as the water appears to have reached the first road of the town itself. I think the local houses and villages were ok but it was touch and go and such a worry for them. The staff on site can’t access the office to make any checks and that is situated on high ground at the entrance and is on stilts. I watch the river cam, which shows the town bridge, there was very little space between the top of the river and the bottom of the bridge, you definitely couldn’t get a boat of any type under it. Yesterday suddenly all that was available to see is a wooden plank in front of the camera, I’m guessing it has fallen over in the flood and can’t be adjusted as they can’t yet get to it.

KjellNN replied on 11/02/2024 17:45

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:45

For anyone who buys their gas and electricity from Octopus..................

they now have a 12 month fix that is less than the standard capped rate, with no early exit fee, so looks like a risk free good deal.     We will move on to it at midnight today.  They call it "Loyal Octopus".    Worth considering.

DavidKlyne replied on 11/02/2024 19:15

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:45 by KjellNN

they now have a 12 month fix that is less than the standard capped rate, with no early exit fee, so looks like a risk free good deal.     We will move on to it at midnight today.  They call it "Loyal Octopus".    Worth considering.

Posted on 11/02/2024 19:15

Kj

What happens in April when Ofgem are rumoured to be reducing energy prices by 10%+?

David

KjellNN replied on 11/02/2024 19:40

Posted on 11/02/2024 19:40

Then you can go back on the regular tariff without penalty if it is lower.   Meantime you get at least 6 winter weeks at less  than the cap.

Did you look at the prices?    They are not the same over the whole country, but for us the cap is ......

electricity  60.02 ppd + 28.161 pp kWh

gas   28.485 ppd + 7.371pp kWh

on the fixed tariff

electricity   60.02ppd + 24.69pp kWh

gas  27.47ppd + 5.88pp kWh

so more than  10% below the cap on the kWhs.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/02/2024 20:04

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:45 by KjellNN

Posted on 11/02/2024 20:04

I signed up for it a couple of days ago, inspired by an email from EDF advertising their new fix below the cap, but it turned out higher than that offered by Octopus!laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 11/02/2024 20:20

Posted on 11/02/2024 20:20

Hope that your caravan is ok, Debs. It seem that the major flooding is along the rivers in the Midlands this time, the Aven, the Trent, the Nene, the Geat Ouse and of course the Severn. Fingers crossed that few, if any, properties are flooded. Plenty of flood alerts, rather than warnings, in and around York too.

KjellNN replied on 11/02/2024 22:27

Posted on 11/02/2024 19:40 by KjellNN

Then you can go back on the regular tariff without penalty if it is lower.   Meantime you get at least 6 winter weeks at less  than the cap.

Did you look at the prices?    They are not the same over the whole country, but for us the cap is ......

electricity  60.02 ppd + 28.161 pp kWh

gas   28.485 ppd + 7.371pp kWh

on the fixed tariff

electricity   60.02ppd + 24.69pp kWh

gas  27.47ppd + 5.88pp kWh

so more than  10% below the cap on the kWhs.

Posted on 11/02/2024 22:27

I can see now that I have one number wrong!

The  existing standing charge for gas is 27.47 ppd, and that is not changed in the fix.

No idea where I got 28.485p from, especially as OH commented that neither of the standing charges were any less, only the kWh costs.

KjellNN replied on 11/02/2024 22:49

Posted on 11/02/2024 22:49

OH suggested a while back to DD that she should switch to Octopus, but  she never got around to it.

Apparently the 12 month fix for new customers is not as good as for existing customers, unit prices are a little higher, but still no fee to leave the tariff early, which is good.

She, and we, would also get £50 each credit using our referral code.......even better!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook