What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DavidKlyne replied on 17/01/2024 09:51

Posted on 17/01/2024 08:27 by Tinwheeler

Funny you should say that about the TPMS, David. Our Hyundai warning came on yesterday and stayed lit despite checking and adjusting pressures. According to the garage, although being set to 32, the warning will activate if pressure drops below 35. Inflated all the tyres to 35 and the warning went out. Crazy😵‍💫

Posted on 17/01/2024 09:51

TW

On the Kia Forum somebody suggested inflating to just above the recommend pressures in order to resolve the problem. I will check again today and perhaps add a little more pressure to see what happens. Some Kia Niro's have a reset button but on my model everything seems to be electronic so not the option for a manual override. I suspect the problem is also  to do with only rarely getting the tyres up to temperature as I do a lot of short runs in the car.

David

Tammygirl replied on 17/01/2024 10:41

Posted on 17/01/2024 10:41

Lovely bright sunny day here. We had a bit of snow yesterday late afternoon but not a lot. Very cold overnight and set to be even colder tonight - 8c is forecast. We will have to be leaving here about 05.15 to drive to Edinburgh airport given the conditions. Just hope we make it and the plane goes. I've spent too much time at airports in Scotland waiting for planes to be de iced.

My sister suffers from tinnitus and I think I have the very start of it, only occasionally thankfully. 

Good to hear the caravan is OK Debsc.

WN, nice that MIL is in a better place. 

milliehull replied on 17/01/2024 10:53

Posted on 17/01/2024 10:53

WN so pleased to hear that your MIL has been moved to a calmer hospital with a dedicated team to help her. I hope she now makes good progress. Good to hear that Mrs WN got her new coat.

Glad to hear that your caravan is OK DEBSC but it sounds as though you will have a lo of cleaning and clearing up to do when you can get proper access.

Best of luck with you journey to Lanzarote TG. I hope you have a lovely time.

Back to the Cathedral yesterday after 2 months off (OH in hospital and then recovering and me with shingles). I have decided on a different volunteering role. Having been a Welcomer for nearly 7 years I decided that I had had enough of standing for 3 hours by the cold front door so I am now volunteering in the lovely new shop. I think I got the hang of the till yesterday wink. It is nice to have a change of scene but still keep in touch with the other volunteers and staff that I have always worked with.

Not so sunny today but still freezing cold.

DEBSC replied on 17/01/2024 11:22

Posted on 17/01/2024 11:22

We have been looking for a new fire and surround for the living room. Only managed to find one shop selling them, and that was a journey, none in stock that we liked. Looked online but I find it very difficult to see exactly what they are like, one we liked online was in the store but when we actually saw it it was not as we thought. We didn’t want to order one online and then not like it and have to live with it. So a bit stuck. I’m not keen on all this online shopping, I like to really see what I am getting. The reason we wanted to change it is because the surround was dark wood and doesn’t fit in with the living room anymore. I wanted to try and paint it but worried I’d spoil it. OH said that if we were going to take it out anyway why not have a go. 5 tester pots later and I found the perfect cream colour, it now looks lovely, like stone and completely transformed. I sent WhatsApp photos to Son and daughter and daughter replied that she loved our new fireplace, she really thought it was new. Just about to put the final coat on. 

Middle granddaughter staying once a week, she is having driving lessons and difficult getting a driving instructor to collect her from Woolacombe so now she’s picked up from here. Nice to have her company and she seems to be doing well, even with the parallel parking.

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2024 11:37

Posted on 17/01/2024 11:37

Very sunny here but bitterly cold, was -6 at 9am.

OH had a wasted trip to theGuide Hall to meet up with one of the leaders and Open-reach, who were coming to install broadband.     Nobody told them, and they did not ask, that there is no phone line there.  There used to be one,  but  it was taken out  at least 20 years ago.   You would have thought BT should have known that!

OH had assumed that this was to be a new connection dug to a box nearby, but apparently there isn't one.   And the telegraph poles have been moved since back then, so now a cable to the building would hang too low over the road to be safe.  No idea what can be done, we were not involved in arranging any of this.   Sounds expensive to sort, so may be ruled out.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/01/2024 12:21

Posted on 17/01/2024 12:21

Oops, best laid plans K😕 Hope it all gets sorted. Well done on the fireplace renovation as well Debsc, that’s the sort of approach we often have.

I seem to be smitten at the moment, thankfully not COVID, just some sort of horrible cold like virus. Will have to mask up to look after Mum, and keep my distance as much as I can. Still doing most things ok, just wheezing a bit at times. 

Enjoy the shop Millie, I recall it being very nice, can’t quite recall what I bought from there last time we were in. It might have been a misericord wall plaque as I collect these.🤔

Tinwheeler replied on 17/01/2024 13:11

Posted on 17/01/2024 09:51 by DavidKlyne

TW

On the Kia Forum somebody suggested inflating to just above the recommend pressures in order to resolve the problem. I will check again today and perhaps add a little more pressure to see what happens. Some Kia Niro's have a reset button but on my model everything seems to be electronic so not the option for a manual override. I suspect the problem is also  to do with only rarely getting the tyres up to temperature as I do a lot of short runs in the car.

David

Posted on 17/01/2024 13:11

The strange thing with ours is that recommendations are 32 with 2 people on board but 40 with 4 people. The TPMS isn’t manually adjustable so how does it know which is appropriate? It’s my guess that it’s actually set somewhere in between, hence the 35. 

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2024 13:21

Posted on 17/01/2024 13:21

OH now looking into mobile broadband, Vodaphone seem to have a good signal in the area, and no need for any digging or cables.

We ourselves have 3 home broadband, but the 3 signal is not great where the guide hall is.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/01/2024 15:07

Posted on 17/01/2024 15:07

Not sure how expensive it is K, but we use a cottage in Borders where wifi connection options have been very limited. Last time we visited, they had opted for some kind of satellite system (haven’t a clue how it works). This had improved things hugely in terms of wifi, but we still had to climb half a mile up a hill for a decent reliable phone signal. Wouldn’t have been a problem normally, but OH needed to talk to a consultant as a matter of some urgency, and had to go out and wait for an incoming call. 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/01/2024 15:28

Posted on 17/01/2024 13:11 by Tinwheeler

The strange thing with ours is that recommendations are 32 with 2 people on board but 40 with 4 people. The TPMS isn’t manually adjustable so how does it know which is appropriate? It’s my guess that it’s actually set somewhere in between, hence the 35. 

Posted on 17/01/2024 15:28

I have successfully got the warning light to go out! Whilst Margaret was at the hairdressers this morning I took the car for a run at high speeds over about 10 miles. It seemed to partially work with only the nearside rear still showing less that perfect pressure. Got my little machine out and added more air all the way round, another run and all seems to be well. Just have to wait until tomorrow to see if the cold temperatures overnight cause the same problem. I use a mains inflator and I did notice that once it stops and you wait a while that the pressures take a moment to settle and I may have been removing the pump too soon? Also realised that the digital pressure gauge I have seems to be misreading so will have to buy another.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook