What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Wherenext replied on 02/05/2021 20:28

Posted on 02/05/2021 18:52 by

We have shopped throughout and at no time felt threatened by it. However we started to go very early for the pensioners hour  8 till 9 and have stuck with it.These days there are few customers  but many many order pickers and as it was a 25% discount week on wine it occured to me that these online order customers would very likely be unaware of it.

Posted on 02/05/2021 20:28

We have a 3 week Click and Collect system going and have had it for quite some time now. Helps with cutting down time in a supermarket plus all "heavy stuff" put on that order leaving just fresh food for a shop visit. 

I do notice any deals on the C&C but it has 2 downsides. Firstly it may all be gone before your collection date and secondly the offer may expire before the collection. If we're desparate we can always pick it up on our weekly visit.

brue replied on 02/05/2021 20:30

Posted on 02/05/2021 20:30

Glad you had a nice break TG, sensible to get home before the bad weather sets in, we have 50mph winds forecast tomorrow and heavy rain, not a day to go out. The M5 was quiet yesterday, I expect the next rush will be for  Spring holiday half term.

We have been looking after our visiting dog today whilst his "parents" did their first music practice at a local farm, so they had fresh air and shelter in a big barn. They have two outside events coming up locally, but the big band music will take longer to start up, more complicated on the HS front.

Francis replied on 02/05/2021 20:30

Posted on 02/05/2021 20:30

Been a lovely few days here so far in Killin. Weather has been hit and miss Friday was fine yesterday was ok but a few heavy showers and today has actually been ok the rain has just started a short time ago. Been out and done some good cycling over the past couple of days the views up here are amazing and the old railway cycle path is excellent mostly off road and takes in the old viaduct. Went a drive yesterday afternoon to Pitlochry we hadn’t been there for over 25 years so It was nice to have a walk around there last night we got chips from the little chip van in the village we have used it before and it has always been good last night was no exception recommended for anyone if they are up here. Tools a drive down to Callander today which was nice very busy though but it’s a  town we always like to visit normally when we are there we go for a drink in one of the local pubs but it was a bit chilly today to be sitting outside so gave it a miss until next time. Site here has been full all weekend I suspect there will be a lot of vans on the road tomorrow. Snooker has been good we have spent most of our evenings watching that. 

Hope everyone else whether away or at home have had a nice weekend 

moulesy replied on 02/05/2021 20:50

Posted on 02/05/2021 20:50

We drove up to Birchover in the Peak District yesterday. Very heavy traffic everywhere, not surprising I guess, given it's the first Bank Holiday since lockdown was lifted. All the Cotswold towns were absolutely heaving!

The cottage we're staying in is on a farm just outside the village with no passing traffic so very peaceful, apart from a few inconsiderate sheep and their lambs bleating outside and a very noisy pair of peacocks somewhere down in the village. At the top of the village is a very nice looking caravan site called Barn Farm (it's a C&CC listed site) which looked very busy yesterday afternoon when we walked through. Great views from the site though.

Above the village is Stanton Moor which is renowned for a number of standing stones - the photo shows the "cork stone" , named for obvious reasons, and a little stone circle called the "nine maidens" circle. Legend has it the nine village maidens were caught dancing on the Sabbath and turned to stone. A short distance away is a larger stone, reckoned to be the fiddler who played the tunes they danced to.

Outside the farmhouse here are the original village stocks, so I'll have to make sure I'm on my best behaviour this week (I usually am! wink)

nelliethehooker replied on 02/05/2021 22:02

Posted on 02/05/2021 22:02

Good to hear that many more are getting their second jabs and those that have been out and are now back home have had good trips. Can't blame you for getting away early TG if the winds are as bad as forecast.

We had a good walk day yesterday morning along the coast between Ogmore and Southerndow, after a visit to Ogmore Castle. Managed to get back to the car just before the rain came down. Today was much sunnier and warmer, and we had a walk along the Ogwr Ridgeway Walk, taking it n the highest point in Bridgend County, Mynydd y Gaer, all of 295m. Hardware battened down in preparation for tomorrow 's forecasted bad weather.

milliehull replied on 02/05/2021 22:15

Posted on 02/05/2021 22:15

We followed in tda's footsteps today and had a lovely time at Easton Walled Gardens. We met up with eldest son and family and after a picnic lunch in the grass car park had a very enjoyable wander in the gardens finishing in the gift shop. Although I didnt spend quite as much as tda I spent enough! I have quite a lot of planting to do tomorrow! Son and grandson were fascinated with the robot mower. DIL and I loved the auricilas. We were so very lucky with the weather as we had sunshine and no rain. We finished by going back to where they live in Crowland and had a walk to look at where they dug up the 30 ton amphidian tank recently. You wouldn't believe the size of the hole!

Great photos moulesy. So good to hear that you and francis are having a good time.

heddlo replied on 03/05/2021 11:06

Posted on 02/05/2021 20:30 by Francis

Been a lovely few days here so far in Killin. Weather has been hit and miss Friday was fine yesterday was ok but a few heavy showers and today has actually been ok the rain has just started a short time ago. Been out and done some good cycling over the past couple of days the views up here are amazing and the old railway cycle path is excellent mostly off road and takes in the old viaduct. Went a drive yesterday afternoon to Pitlochry we hadn’t been there for over 25 years so It was nice to have a walk around there last night we got chips from the little chip van in the village we have used it before and it has always been good last night was no exception recommended for anyone if they are up here. Tools a drive down to Callander today which was nice very busy though but it’s a  town we always like to visit normally when we are there we go for a drink in one of the local pubs but it was a bit chilly today to be sitting outside so gave it a miss until next time. Site here has been full all weekend I suspect there will be a lot of vans on the road tomorrow. Snooker has been good we have spent most of our evenings watching that. 

Hope everyone else whether away or at home have had a nice weekend 

Posted on 03/05/2021 11:06

We enjoyed Killin, Francis.  We were there 18 months ago and I saw an otter in the river, first time ever for me.  We missed the beavers at the end of Loch Tay though.  Sadly will have to disagree about the chip van though - when we tried it they were truly awful!!!  Luck of the draw perhaps? 

Wherenext replied on 03/05/2021 11:35

Posted on 03/05/2021 11:35

Isn't it refreshing to have things in life that you can rely on? That constancy helps to regulate this mad world that we are living in at the moment so 3 cheers for the Great British Bank Holiday Weather. Never lets you down does it?sealed

I sincerely hope all of those who are or will be subject to the Gale Force winds about to batter them will get through them without any damage or injury and those on the roads either going home or to their holiday destinations will be extra careful, maybe even take cover in a local CL or site until tomorrow.

For us, it's a day indoors, mostly cleaning. The Cooker for me, the house for the Ladies. Might get into the caravan later to give a clean inside. 

Best of luck people.

Wherenext replied on 03/05/2021 11:35

Posted on 03/05/2021 11:35

Nice photos from Moulesy and Millie.

Hope we didn't pinch all of the good weather last week Moulesy.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook