What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

ABM replied on 24/03/2021 21:35

Posted on 24/03/2021 19:07 by Bakers2

A grey cold day here again! BUT wonderful news from son and DIL our grandson born this morning 😀😀😀 I guessed right 😇. Arrived safely a couple of weeks early at 6lb 11oz and both he and mum have got to stay in for a few days as a precaution, delivery more than 24 hours after waters broke, so both sporting a cannula and on antibiotics. 

Got a text for OH to book 2nd jab on 7th or 9th, when I eventually got through last attempt 46 minutes. Had a joke with receptionist regarding being busy as a result of texting folks, I do know her, only to find delivery has been halted no reason given so she had earache! 

Some you win some you lose.

Posted on 24/03/2021 21:35

You won't be able to forget your New Grandsons birthday tho' B2 'coz the Queens latest family member has arrived " the Tindall's latest" arrived all of a bustle & a rush  -- Daddy delivered on the bathroom floor, so Her Majesty will probably find an unused C of H for somebody soon  wink

nelliethehooker replied on 24/03/2021 21:57

Posted on 24/03/2021 21:57

Great news, B2, congratulations to all concerned.

Also good news for you AD, I've only just spotted your post. It must be a great weight off your mind.

Bakers2 replied on 24/03/2021 22:01

Posted on 24/03/2021 21:35 by ABM

You won't be able to forget your New Grandsons birthday tho' B2 'coz the Queens latest family member has arrived " the Tindall's latest" arrived all of a bustle & a rush  -- Daddy delivered on the bathroom floor, so Her Majesty will probably find an unused C of H for somebody soon  wink

Posted on 24/03/2021 22:01

Yes rather the opposite to our young man, rather slow......  I didn't want to know but our son was to do something for us Tuesday lunchtime, but had to tell us he couldn't and why, so been 'concerned' ourselves for most of the long hours. I'm going to bed exhausted,  lord know how they feel. Oh yes I can recall that sheer exhaust and euphoria all these years later. But I believe the royal baby arrived Sunday so can't share our special day 🤣.

Thanks for more good wishes. On the card front we're off to the local garden centre hoping their stock of greetings cards are not too depleted 🤞

KjellNN 3 weeks old already 😱. Glad he's doing well 😀

nelliethehooker replied on 24/03/2021 22:05

Posted on 24/03/2021 22:05

Lovely sunny day,but we still had a cool breeze. Went for a walk across the sands to Dunnerholme rock to give Flyte a good run. 

Had a Very Veggie Pizza from Asda for our evening meal tonight, and it tasted even better than it looked.

DavidKlyne replied on 24/03/2021 22:20

Posted on 24/03/2021 20:56 by milliehull

I am feeling devastated as John Lewis have today announced that they are closing our lovely newly reburished JL store. It was really the only reason I went into Queensgate. I cant imagine a shopping trip without it - browsing, shopping, coffee or lunch with family or friends in their cafe 😪

Posted on 24/03/2021 22:20

Millie

It is very sad, especially as they have reportedly spent 21 million on a revamp recently and even sadder for the staff involved. It's also Aberdeen as Kj mentioned and Sheffield and York. From what I hear it's all to do with demographics and whether a store the size of Peterborough can be supported by those demographics. That is not just measured by customers spend across the door but also the amount of sales from the catchment area through the online side of the business. There has also been a complete management change within the business in the last year or so who obviously don't feel the future is a rosey as the previous management! Now whether that is based on a lack of retail experience it is hard to say. Some experts think they may have jumped the gun but it doesn't hide the fact that running a department store business is not as easy as it once was.We were concerned about the MK store but fortunately that is reopening. 

David

heddlo replied on 24/03/2021 22:53

Posted on 24/03/2021 22:53

Congratulations B2 on your lovely news, hope you will soon be able to see your new grandson.   

As for the JL news - so sad for all the people concerned.  We used to live near Bedford and always enjoyed a trip to the Peterborough John Lewis, as you said Milliehull it was great for a browse, a cheeky spend, and a nice lunch or coffee.  Even after we moved up here we have still made the trip into the Peterborough shop if we were in the area.  Ours here (York) is closing too.  Is a small version of their offering and it has only been open 7 years.  It’s never been a ‘go to’ store as it didn’t carry the stock of the larger ones, in fact when we have asked about looking for a certain item the answer has often been ‘have you looked online to order?’, which is not great help if you want to see an item first! 

Takethedogalong replied on 24/03/2021 23:36

Posted on 24/03/2021 22:20 by DavidKlyne

Millie

It is very sad, especially as they have reportedly spent 21 million on a revamp recently and even sadder for the staff involved. It's also Aberdeen as Kj mentioned and Sheffield and York. From what I hear it's all to do with demographics and whether a store the size of Peterborough can be supported by those demographics. That is not just measured by customers spend across the door but also the amount of sales from the catchment area through the online side of the business. There has also been a complete management change within the business in the last year or so who obviously don't feel the future is a rosey as the previous management! Now whether that is based on a lack of retail experience it is hard to say. Some experts think they may have jumped the gun but it doesn't hide the fact that running a department store business is not as easy as it once was.We were concerned about the MK store but fortunately that is reopening. 

David

Posted on 24/03/2021 23:36

I grew up with regular Saturday visits to what is the Sheffield John Lewis. In those days it was called Cole Brothers, situated in a huge four floor store, opposite Sheffield City Hall. As small children we would have a day out in Sheffield, Mum browsing materials, wool, patterns, Dad looking at stereo’s, records etc...... We used to do the Silver Service restaurant, it was Mum and Dad’s way of teaching us good table manners, which cutlery to use, how to behave when out, a real treat. Then it was either next door to see a film at the Gaumont Cinema, or further down the Moor to Sheffield’s huge toy store, Redgates. Then back home with all our treasured purchases.

Huge JL store, in prime and no doubt very expensive location. A sad day, but not surprised. I think I have been in there once in last 15 years. 

richardandros replied on 25/03/2021 06:09

Posted on 24/03/2021 23:36 by Takethedogalong

I grew up with regular Saturday visits to what is the Sheffield John Lewis. In those days it was called Cole Brothers, situated in a huge four floor store, opposite Sheffield City Hall. As small children we would have a day out in Sheffield, Mum browsing materials, wool, patterns, Dad looking at stereo’s, records etc...... We used to do the Silver Service restaurant, it was Mum and Dad’s way of teaching us good table manners, which cutlery to use, how to behave when out, a real treat. Then it was either next door to see a film at the Gaumont Cinema, or further down the Moor to Sheffield’s huge toy store, Redgates. Then back home with all our treasured purchases.

Huge JL store, in prime and no doubt very expensive location. A sad day, but not surprised. I think I have been in there once in last 15 years. 

Posted on 25/03/2021 06:09

Gosh, ttda, that brings back memories.  We used to live in Stannington - when it was a real village - not just another suburb as it is now.  Saturday trips into Sheffield were a weekly occurrence for us and I remember well, the excitement of going into Redgates (The Hamleys of the North!) - dashing up the escalator to the top floor to watch the model train layout. Still haven't got over my love of 'toy shops' but now it's tools and must-have gadgetssmile

Rufs replied on 25/03/2021 08:57

Posted on 25/03/2021 08:57

still the cracking weather continues blossom just beautiful, going to walk into Lee this morning and then grab a bacon butty on the way back laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook