What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 05/02/2017 21:34

Posted on 05/02/2017 15:44 by moulesy

Hopefully managing to catch up after a few days of dodgy WiFi!

Belated Happy Birthday to Millie and Bakers - have I missed anyone?

We're treating ourselves to a week in the lakes - a cosy cottage in Hawkshead rather than using the van. Lovely spot, comfortable cottage, just got the woodburner sparked up so probably we'll all be snoozing soon! Woke up to a rather misty start, took Harry & Lady out for a stroll along the path which leads from the back of the cottage along to Wray Castle. Then drove round to Windermere to stock up for the week and, as it wasnbrighteing up, took the opportunity to walk up to Forest Head which, famously, was Wainwright first fell in love with the lakes. And what a superb viewpoint it is too, well worth the small effort involved in getting there! Mind you, what AW would make of the stone road that's been built almost to the summit doesn't bear thinking about.

Forecast looks good for the rest of the week so hopefully some longer walks in store and hoping to meet up with Mr & Mrs Nelliethehooker and Flyte later in the week.

Happy Days (Smiley smiley!)

Posted on 05/02/2017 21:34

Glad to hear that you've made it to Hawkshead safe and sound. By the forecast this evening it looks as if you've picked the right week to come up to the lakes. Will be in touch tomorrow evening about meeting up later in the week. Looking forward to see you all again. (laughing)

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 21:43

Posted on 05/02/2017 21:15 by IanH

I avoid electrical work like the plague.

Example of why - Just recently, I noticed that on a single socket behind our fridge (the one that the fridge is plugged into) the front plate was not actually fastened to the back box. I assume that when the previous occupants had the wall tiled, the scews were no longer long enough. So they didn't bother.

Being 'out of sight, out of mind' it has remained so for as long as we've been in the house.

Due to recent works being carried out in the kitchen, it was necessary to move the fridge. I decided to secure the socket to the back box while I was at it.

I had some longer screws, so I set about it. As I screwed one of them in, there was an almighty bang and an array of sparks. 
It seems that the screw went through one of the red wires.

I turned off the electric at the fuse box and investigated.

There was an enormous bunch of wires behind the socket and one of the red ones had drifted over and managed to position itself right behind the screw for the front plate .

It seems that a double wall socket had been wired into the single fridge socket. Whilst the fridge was still working, the double wall socket was not working any more.

A couple of wires had become dislodged in the single socket during all this and some were rather charred. I tidied everything up and re-connected the wires that had become loose, into the relevant terminals.

However, the double socket still does not work, but the single fridge socket is still working. Also noticed that it is now impossible to unplug the fridge - as though the plug is 'welded' into the socket.

I hate electricity and I think it is the work of the devil.

I'll now need to get an electrician in.......all because I tried to secure a socket to the wall properly.

Posted on 05/02/2017 21:43

Oh dear, hope you get it sorted without too much expense!

Electrics are a bit of a hobby for me.  I wanted to study electrical engineering at Uni, but did not get good enough results in one exam, so was shunted into Civil Engineering instead.

This served me well as I learned all about constructing buildings, and went on to supervising concrete rigs in the North Sea, then moved into ships.

But I maintained my interest in electricals and electronics, and both our children have studied electrics/electronics with computer hardware/software.

Electrics are logical, nothing to be afraid of, but you do need to be careful and take precautions when working with electricity.

So far I have not found an electrician that knows more than I do, and often, though I say so myself, they are less competant in some areas.

My pet hates with electricians  are that they leave far too little spare cable when wiring up things, they stuff far too many wires into some places, as per your experience Ian, and very few have a level to put sockets etc in a straight line!

Oneputt replied on 06/02/2017 08:17

Posted on 06/02/2017 08:17

Back home after a great weekend in Hampshire with son and DIL.  Caravan safely with dealer so hopefully they won't have it too long as withdrawal symptoms already set in 

triky auto replied on 06/02/2017 08:39

Posted on 06/02/2017 08:39

undecided  Gloomy overcast & cloudy (sounds like a bunch of solicitors !!) here in Herne Bay.Cool breeze too.Off to onward waiting maintenance at the B/Yd now .

JVB66 replied on 06/02/2017 09:06

Posted on 06/02/2017 09:06

Big suprise this morning a delivery direct from c/van manufacturer with a complete new set of cushions for our c/van with a "with compliments "note, only expected a replacement for faulty ones (got some spares now)smile

redface replied on 06/02/2017 10:49

Posted on 06/02/2017 10:49

Great! - the fog has rolled back, the frost has gone and it is now sunny and warmer.

Have just spread a covering of compost over flower beds for the plants' summer feed and moisture retention. Bulbs now beginning to show through and a Primula has been in full bloom since 1st Jan.

Now looking forward to a real warm spring so am getting the lawnmower out to clean and check it over.

Roll on Summer.

DSB replied on 06/02/2017 11:05

Posted on 06/02/2017 11:05

I agree with the warm spring and summer bit Redface.  Still a bit murky here, but the frost appears to have gone since first thing.

Off to hospital for a hip x-ray today..   I always seem to be going there for one thing or another.  It's a bit worrying when you seem to be visiting the hospital more frequently than the pub! Must try harder to redress the balance!! laughinglaughing

David 

Tammygirl replied on 06/02/2017 12:24

Posted on 06/02/2017 12:24

Beautiful day here today, sun out and blue skies, still chilly out but who's complaining, not me.

We were only away 2 weeks but in that time the snowdrops and crocus have opened they are looking very nice today with the sun on them.

Dentist this afternoon to have the broken tooth looked at, guessing the temporary filling will have to be removed and refilled with amalgam, will see if they can do white filling first though.

Lots to do but have a fair amount of Admin to see to first so other things will have to wait. Weather forecast for this week looks to be good so should get all jobs completed.

JVB66, what was the problem with your cushions, sorry you have probably said and I missed it. (arn't I nosey)laughing

KjellNN replied on 06/02/2017 13:34

Posted on 06/02/2017 13:34

Not long back from dentist, OH had to have a tooth out.  It was a big back one, so the hole is huge.

Off now to take caravan to dealer for service etc, nice day here so should be a pleasant journey, traffic permitting.

Wherenext replied on 06/02/2017 15:35

Posted on 06/02/2017 15:35

Nice dry morning with a bit of frost. Feel like Billy No Mates as we're the lone caravan on the CL. Still, nobody going to upset us so thats a positive.

Went for a long stroll around various bits of Marbury Country Park and watched a barge being lifted up via the Anderton Boatlift, a pice of engineering marvel.

Had lunch in Frodsham, a bit of shopping, then back to the van to do the jobs. 5 minutes after closing the door and making the coffee the heavens opened. Due to pass through tonight so hoping to get out again tomorrow, maybe to Alderley Edge.

Enjoy your break Moulesy. Be gentle with the old man that is Nellie!laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook