What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 16:08

Posted on 05/02/2017 12:16 by DavidKlyne

Lunch with DD then the 4 of us set off to the "Still Game" live show in town.  DD's husband's BIL is the director so had given all the family free tickets.

Do you get "Still Game" on TV in England?  

We watched the last series and found it quite funny. Had to have the subtitles on just to make sure understood what was being said!!!

Also quite like Two Doors Down which is another Scottish comedy.

David

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:08

Not surprised, David!  

I have problems myself sometimes and I was at Uni in Glasgow for 4 years, plus have lived in Scotland for almost 47 years now.

My biggest problem right now is understanding our (fairly new) son-in-law as not only does he have a moderate Glasgow accent, but he also talks really fast.  It is embarassing always having to ask him things twice, or even 3 times!

He is a secondary school English teacher, so I do wonder if he talks more clearly in school.

Goldie146 replied on 05/02/2017 16:38

Posted on 05/02/2017 15:44 by moulesy

Hopefully managing to catch up after a few days of dodgy WiFi!

Belated Happy Birthday to Millie and Bakers - have I missed anyone?

We're treating ourselves to a week in the lakes - a cosy cottage in Hawkshead rather than using the van. Lovely spot, comfortable cottage, just got the woodburner sparked up so probably we'll all be snoozing soon! Woke up to a rather misty start, took Harry & Lady out for a stroll along the path which leads from the back of the cottage along to Wray Castle. Then drove round to Windermere to stock up for the week and, as it wasnbrighteing up, took the opportunity to walk up to Forest Head which, famously, was Wainwright first fell in love with the lakes. And what a superb viewpoint it is too, well worth the small effort involved in getting there! Mind you, what AW would make of the stone road that's been built almost to the summit doesn't bear thinking about.

Forecast looks good for the rest of the week so hopefully some longer walks in store and hoping to meet up with Mr & Mrs Nelliethehooker and Flyte later in the week.

Happy Days (Smiley smiley!)

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:38

Do you mean Orrest Head? There's no F!

Occassionally (very occassionally) I walked up there in my dinner hour when I worked at Lakeland back in the day.

moulesy replied on 05/02/2017 16:46

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:38 by Goldie146

Do you mean Orrest Head? There's no F!

Occassionally (very occassionally) I walked up there in my dinner hour when I worked at Lakeland back in the day.

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:46

Yes, that's the one. Can only blame this F-bloomin' predctive text! Double laughing smiley.

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 17:00

Posted on 05/02/2017 17:00

The saga of the leak continues.....

Still a small drip, so will need to replace shut off valve in loft first.  OH reckons we might as well replace all the 30 year old valves while we are at it, so will go up there and count how many we need, will be 5 at least as we have 2  HW tanks and 3 cold feeds to showers.

Cannot do them all at once but will have to work my way through them, not looking forward to it as OH wants me to  clean out all the storage tanks too.  Bound to be a fair accumulation of silt in them after 30 years!

Still have to establish where the leak in the shower pipe is, hopefully one of the 2 joints, but could be in the plastic connection pipe to the shower  itself....much more expensive to fix.

Just glad I can deal with this myself, plumbers are so expensive these days!

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 17:06

Posted on 05/02/2017 17:06

Otherwise.....getting van ready to go for service, removing stuff etc, making sure everything is secured for travelling.

We will take it to the dealer, a 25 mile trip across Glasgow, tomorrow, for service on Tuesday, plus there is a replacement needed to part of the drawbar, so will not be ready till Wednesday at least.

May collect it then, or wait till Friday as I am going for  an AAA screening on Thursday.

Lots happening this week!

HelenandTrevor replied on 05/02/2017 18:23

Posted on 05/02/2017 18:23

Gosh KjellNN,  just reading about all your jobs is making me tired. laughing

OH does all our plumbing jobs too, he did all plumbing and electrical jobs when we fitted our new kitchen.

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 20:47

Posted on 05/02/2017 20:47

I think it  sounds worse when written down Helen, but it is certainly giving  me  plenty to do!

I quite enjoy electrical and plumbing work,  it is not  difficult if you have the tools and know what you are doing.

Have fitted several kitchens.  Our present  one is OK, but a bit  dated,  but we are reluctant  to replace a perfectly good kitchen.

IanH replied on 05/02/2017 21:15

Posted on 05/02/2017 21:15

I avoid electrical work like the plague.

Example of why - Just recently, I noticed that on a single socket behind our fridge (the one that the fridge is plugged into) the front plate was not actually fastened to the back box. I assume that when the previous occupants had the wall tiled, the scews were no longer long enough. So they didn't bother.

Being 'out of sight, out of mind' it has remained so for as long as we've been in the house.

Due to recent works being carried out in the kitchen, it was necessary to move the fridge. I decided to secure the socket to the back box while I was at it.

I had some longer screws, so I set about it. As I screwed one of them in, there was an almighty bang and an array of sparks. 
It seems that the screw went through one of the red wires.

I turned off the electric at the fuse box and investigated.

There was an enormous bunch of wires behind the socket and one of the red ones had drifted over and managed to position itself right behind the screw for the front plate .

It seems that a double wall socket had been wired into the single fridge socket. Whilst the fridge was still working, the double wall socket was not working any more.

A couple of wires had become dislodged in the single socket during all this and some were rather charred. I tidied everything up and re-connected the wires that had become loose, into the relevant terminals.

However, the double socket still does not work, but the single fridge socket is still working. Also noticed that it is now impossible to unplug the fridge - as though the plug is 'welded' into the socket.

I hate electricity and I think it is the work of the devil.

I'll now need to get an electrician in.......all because I tried to secure a socket to the wall properly.

Bakers2 replied on 05/02/2017 21:17

Posted on 05/02/2017 21:17

Just settling down for a bit of TV and CT catch up having arrived back from son's. Very nice weekend. Lovely delicious roast lunch at the red lion in Warmington, not on sea 😂😂. Thank you for the birthday greetings 😃. Really foggy morning in Peterborough which was a surprise nice dog walk round the muddy fields very slippery under foot managed not to measure my length 😉.  

KjellNN sounds lime a busy time for you but satisfying get once the jobs are done have to agree on the DIY skills hubby does our plumbing and minor electrics. Can't imagine the bills if he didn't 😮. 

Moulesy have a great week.

Goldie you may work ha4d but I'm pleased to know you make the most of your non working hours.

Tricky I'm impressed washed concorde in 1.5 hours it's huge!

Milliehull I hope you had a lovely birthday.

Sorry if I missed anyone 😔. Sadly the weekend is over so I wish everyone a happy week regardless of whether their work is paid or pleasure.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook