Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 15:35

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:41 by Wherenext

Taking a break from this heated discussion can I just wish anyone involved in the Emergency services including shop workers, bin men/women/posties etc., Volunteers at vaccination centres etc.etc. a hearty Thank you all for keeping my life ticking over as near to normal as could be hoped for.

I hope you all get to enjoy some Christmas Cheer, whenever that may be for you. Thanks.

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:35

Hear Hear! I think that goes for all of us, whichever side of the discussion we are on. 👍

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 15:42

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:50 by Takethedogalong

Good for you Rocky. That’s my route as well. Nowhere near needing statins thankfully, but my lockdown this year has been all about taking a long hard look at my lifestyle and changing it. My OH is in the genetically hard luck group, got both Cancer and a dicky ticker from his parents, but his level of fitness has seen him through everything at the moment. 

I was a bit surprised when he had his heart attack, and spent some time on the recovery Wards visiting him. Most of the predominantly male patients weren’t as I expected, overweight. I mentioned this to one of the nurses, and her reply made the penny drop. Those really overweight simply don’t make it usually. A sobering (if you will excuse the pun) thought.

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:42

There is something I’ve found out over the years-getting older is not a negative if we keep active & keep our weight down. To some it would be logic but I am obviously a slow starter😂. The Tree work pushed me to keep my fitness levels up too. If anyone will beat the odds it’s your OH for sure TDA. The active lifestyle is a boon for the mental health so power to him👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻. Lucky for him he has you to race against😊

replied on 24/12/2021 16:20

Posted on 24/12/2021 16:20

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Graydjames replied on 24/12/2021 17:19

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:19

Content has been removed.

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 17:31

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:19 by Graydjames
Content has been removed.

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:31

Explain, please? (Inot the context in which the comment was made.) undecided

Takethedogalong replied on 24/12/2021 17:44

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:42 by Rocky 2 buckets

There is something I’ve found out over the years-getting older is not a negative if we keep active & keep our weight down. To some it would be logic but I am obviously a slow starter😂. The Tree work pushed me to keep my fitness levels up too. If anyone will beat the odds it’s your OH for sure TDA. The active lifestyle is a boon for the mental health so power to him👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻. Lucky for him he has you to race against😊

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:44

It’s a lifelong lifestyle for him Rocky. He didn’t actively seek promotion beyond Station Manager as he didn’t want to end up a Desk Jockey, he worked out on the Fire Station when at work, and after always cycling or running to work, hit the cycling trail big style on retirement. Such a shock to his system getting the Big C, but it’s in his family genes sadly. The Heart Attack was possibly all the stress from two years of surgery and chemo. He had a rough time in hospital second time in, I would have liked to have throttled a good number of the so and so’s who were on the same Ward, but hey ho, he’s still here, doing ok and having a ball. I used to be superfit, but ended up a desk jockey, every promotion was a few more pounds on😱 But I am getting there now, and enjoying it. 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/12/2021 17:51

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:44 by Takethedogalong

It’s a lifelong lifestyle for him Rocky. He didn’t actively seek promotion beyond Station Manager as he didn’t want to end up a Desk Jockey, he worked out on the Fire Station when at work, and after always cycling or running to work, hit the cycling trail big style on retirement. Such a shock to his system getting the Big C, but it’s in his family genes sadly. The Heart Attack was possibly all the stress from two years of surgery and chemo. He had a rough time in hospital second time in, I would have liked to have throttled a good number of the so and so’s who were on the same Ward, but hey ho, he’s still here, doing ok and having a ball. I used to be superfit, but ended up a desk jockey, every promotion was a few more pounds on😱 But I am getting there now, and enjoying it. 

Posted on 24/12/2021 17:51

Good on you, TDA 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

ABM replied on 25/12/2021 15:11

Posted on 25/12/2021 15:11

Had a Phone call on Thursday afternoon from Farmer C  informing me that my monthly prescription was ready for collection at my local AND  I should ask for a box of 'tests' when collecting 'em.

Grabbed a supermarket carrier & dashed off { slowly of course } to obey the instructions.

Arrived to be the only customer they had at that point and put on my silly hat to introduce myself as " Elf and Safety " --  got a giggle out of the staff and my carrier filled by them BUT , alas, the comment - we have no bananas oops sorry should have said We have no Tests available, had none for a week or more, so sorry.  

Suppose I can repeat the request for 'em on line like last time -- well it keeps the posties employed now that the seasonal rush is over   { innocent  }

Hope you all are keeping a weather-eye on the sprouts in the oven and/or microwave !!

LLM replied on 25/12/2021 15:55

Posted on 25/12/2021 15:55

I have spent a considerable time trying to work out how to start this post.  Some of my attempts are below and I can’t decide so I will leave it up to you to use the one you like best; or make up your own. 

Today I had the best Christmas lunch ever…

This lunchtime I heard an angel sing…

I’m not a true believer but today I may have seen a small miracle…

…this morning into the early p.m. I completed a short shift at the jabbing centre.  Surprisingly there were a good number of people of all ages keen to get their jabs.  In keeping with the season we had Christmas carols playing quietly in the background and true to form we had our own “crusty” anti-vaxer on duty just outside the door; polite, persistent, but not a problem.  Towards lunch time one of the other vaccinators, a lovely and very attractive Polish lass, started to sing along with the carols.  Short of Karen Carpenter I have never heard a voice so clear and pure.  As she got into her stride with Silent Night in I assume Polish, the place came to a standstill.  Even the anti-vaxer came in and perched on a desk corner.  Cheeky yes, but she was immediately offered a jab and shocked us all when with feigned reluctance, she accepted.  Name, DoB, etc. were checked and a jab administered in record time and discreet a round of applause given.  So to lunch, half a slightly dried turkey and cranberry sandwich, a mini mince pie, and the remains of a cold cup of coffee.  Never has food tasted so good, but I am looking forward to dinner this evening.  Happy Christmas. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook