Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Tammygirl replied on 24/12/2021 14:15

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:15

But we are not talking about genuine reasons for not getting vaccinated.

We are talking about those cretins that think it's a joke, that think it won't happen to them. I know, my DIL is one, pig headed selfish and stubborn.

It really upsets me to see folk who are in pain daily not getting the treatment they need and deserve because of one of these type of people. 

CY, some of the cases you mentioned they are getting quite strick with. If you are a smoker awaiting an operation the you will be told to quit or no op. Obese folk are told to lose weight or no op. Alcoholics are similarly told to stop drinking or they risk death. 

Its a shame that the adverts/info on TV are not more blunt. Get the vaccine or die. 

Wherenext replied on 24/12/2021 14:36

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:36

I have a family member who is suffering as a result of not being able to receive her usual quantity and quality of oxygen bottles to alleviate a lung problem. The manufacturers are flat out supplying them to hospitals.

She has been asked to restrict her movements to virtually become not only housebound but almost immobile as she needs the oxygen to help her when walking about the house. Is she delighted that there are reports of hospitals being overrun by people refusing to be vaccinated for whatever reason? One of many who has followed all of the advice and guidelines and what for?

I couldn't condone anyone being turned away at hospitals but there must be some sort of  comeback for those people who are endangering the lives of other people through their inaction. Maybe not financial as that is a scatter-gun effect that will take down innocent by standers (children etc.) but certainly one of freedom of movement. No Vaccines, no footie attendance etc. I understand the possibility of being infected and fully vaccinated but LFTs should help and at least those people have tried to help society, as well as themselves.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/12/2021 14:39

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:39

The NHS don’t judge, at least at the source of treatment. They will carry on administering to all those who have eaten, drunk, smoked, injected, exercised, carnally indulged and been guilty of making a stupid decision at one time or another, without bias. So that’s  possibly a very large percentage of the population taken over a lifetime.
I don’t particularly have any sympathy with the stand of those who can be vaccinated but won’t, but given that the vast majority of health care goes on those who over do it on my earlier categories, the anti vaxxer stance fits neatly into the “stupid decision” category. It just a bit more stupid given the overall current circumstances, that’s all.
If you are going to penalise stupidity, then don’t stop, but penalise the the smokers, the drinkers, those too fat and unfit to function, those having unsafe sex, those injecting drugs, those who take part in dangerous sports. 🤷‍♀️ All of a sudden, lots more people appear unworthy of treatment taken as a whole.

Many conditions and diseases are genetic, or strike randomly through no fault of the person concerned, and of course our ageing population has body parts that simply wear out. All such folks suffering such bad luck are deserving of being at the very front of the queue for NHS resources, but it’s very unfair, and unethical to judge one specific group without looking at the wider considerations. It’s a rare Western human that doesn’t have some small vice or other that can do without medical treatment of some sort.

So, in short, let those without sin, cast the first stone!

Wherenext replied on 24/12/2021 14:41

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:41

Taking a break from this heated discussion can I just wish anyone involved in the Emergency services including shop workers, bin men/women/posties etc., Volunteers at vaccination centres etc.etc. a hearty Thank you all for keeping my life ticking over as near to normal as could be hoped for.

I hope you all get to enjoy some Christmas Cheer, whenever that may be for you. Thanks.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/12/2021 14:50

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:44 by Rocky 2 buckets

I was ‘stupid’ enough to refuse & took the hard route-lost weight, cut out red meat, dropped dairy products. I not only cut my cholesterol levels but reversed early diabetes🤷🏻‍♂️. There are 2 sides to every story.

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:50

Good for you Rocky. That’s my route as well. Nowhere near needing statins thankfully, but my lockdown this year has been all about taking a long hard look at my lifestyle and changing it. My OH is in the genetically hard luck group, got both Cancer and a dicky ticker from his parents, but his level of fitness has seen him through everything at the moment. 

I was a bit surprised when he had his heart attack, and spent some time on the recovery Wards visiting him. Most of the predominantly male patients weren’t as I expected, overweight. I mentioned this to one of the nurses, and her reply made the penny drop. Those really overweight simply don’t make it usually. A sobering (if you will excuse the pun) thought.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/12/2021 15:07

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:41 by Wherenext

Taking a break from this heated discussion can I just wish anyone involved in the Emergency services including shop workers, bin men/women/posties etc., Volunteers at vaccination centres etc.etc. a hearty Thank you all for keeping my life ticking over as near to normal as could be hoped for.

I hope you all get to enjoy some Christmas Cheer, whenever that may be for you. Thanks.

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:07

I second this as well WN. We have family members who have worked throughout the whole shebang. Ambulance, Fire, Police, Care, Teachers etc… 👏👏👏

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 15:25

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:54 by

That was exactly the option my doctor offered give up everything I enjoy.Actually I was starting from a better point, not overweight and no sign of diabetes so perhaps you should have taken more care of yourself sooner.

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:25

Thanks for the advice👍🏻, I should’ve but I needed time to get my youth out of me. It’s a big world(or it was when I was young) & I needed to explore it, so I did. . .A bit too well. When I grew up I made changes & gladly they got me to my 60’s-Still surfing, still paddle boarding, canoeing & camping. I did good-for me that is with the least amount of destructive drugs going into me as possible🙂

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 15:31

Posted on 24/12/2021 13:50 by Tammygirl

But isn't that the point, anti vaxxers are taking up beds, which other folk who are waiting for life saving treatment can't have. So which ever way you look at it there is a possibility that someone is going to suffer unnecessarily and possibly die.

I know who I would give the bed to and it would be the antuvaxxer, you reap what you sow. 

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:31

We are on the same page TG, I agree, they are not good people but the point is nothing can be done to turn the balance🤷🏻‍♂️

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 15:33

Posted on 24/12/2021 15:33

"But we are not talking about genuine reasons for not getting vaccinated.

We are talking about those cretins that think it's a joke, that think it won't happen to them. I know, my DIL is one, pig headed selfish and stubborn."

And I can understand why you feel that way, but I pose the question again - who decides (on admission to hospital, maybe critically ill) whether an individual has a "genuine reason/principle" for being unvaccinated or is a "cretin"? undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook