Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

SteveL replied on 24/12/2021 10:44

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:56 by Rocky 2 buckets

Steve-putting alternative points forward is one thing but who would support potentially killing some folk to save others. That is basically what you are saying. No one thinks the unvaccinated are good citizens but to hand them a death sentence is too much. Come up with a positive solution👍🏻

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:44

In a different scenario it happens all to often,
In military conflicts a commander deploys his troops, fully understanding that some won’t be coming back. However, they are doing it to save others.

peedee replied on 24/12/2021 10:56

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:47 by Cornersteady

But what about the people they live with and provide for, they go without a small part of their income?

It would be fine for people like us but what about those who are on the breadline? I suppose one could suggest means testing again?

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:56

What is the difference between paying a contribution towards keep and having to pay for perscriptions? If the NHS can manage perscriptions, ( I believe those on benefits get releif) they can manage a hosptialisation contributions in much the same way.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 24/12/2021 11:07

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:56 by peedee

What is the difference between paying a contribution towards keep and having to pay for perscriptions? If the NHS can manage perscriptions, ( I believe those on benefits get releif) they can manage a hosptialisation contributions in much the same way.

peedee

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:07

PD, state benefits, including pensions, are already affected if someone is in hospital/care for more than a few weeks. 

Other than that, the NHS is geared up to providing social care along with medical care to those who need it. It's what their funding covers. Who provides the funding? Why, you and I - the patients, that's who. Yep, patients already pay. 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/12/2021 11:10

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:44 by SteveL

In military conflicts a commander deploys his troops, fully understanding that some won’t be coming back. However, they are doing it to save others.

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:10

Steve, you're off the wall here. There is no comparison whatsoever. I'm getting angry at some of these crass remarks😖

mickysf replied on 24/12/2021 11:10

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:10

Probably not the best comparison but I understand some of the logic behind it. Everyone who joins the forces does so accepting that risk, they are special people in doing so and do this with an understanding that they are protecting our country, our people and our society. The individual does not know that it will be them not coming home when signing up and this may just be the strength behind that brotherhood I so admire, looking after each other for the rest of us.

These antivaxers don’t appear to have any grip or understanding of collective care and support. I guess this means they are in need of help themselves and not just beyond redemption.

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 11:14

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:56 by peedee

peedee

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:14

From the gov.uk website - 

"In England, out of over one billion prescription items dispensed in 2019, close to 90% were dispensed free of charge."

(I believe that in the rest of the UK prescriptions are entirely "free"?)

For me, the time to debate whether charges should be incurred for hospitalisation (debatable) or care should be witheld for whatever reason (not an option I'd ever subscribe to) is after this awful disease has been overcome or, at least, to the time when we can "live with it". Making such decisions in the midst of these troubled times is never going to result in a "balanced and proportionate" response.

And who would want to be the medic  (or more likely some management stooge) who would want to decide where the line is drawn? undecided

SteveL replied on 24/12/2021 11:31

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:10 by Tinwheeler

Steve, you're off the wall here. There is no comparison whatsoever. I'm getting angry at some of these crass remarks😖

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:31

With respect TW I suggest you get angry somewhat easily. It a perfectly valid point. There is nothing crass about it. Our leaders are following exactly the same methodology at the moment, offsetting the acceptable  number of deaths against damage to the economy, when deciding on future covid policy.

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 11:36

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:36

Just a thought - many "older" folk are recommended to take statins to reduce the chances of stroke or a heart attack. A lot of those, according to a doctor we know well, decline either because of anxiety about side effects or simply because they consider it "unecessary". Should they be refused treatment if they suffer a stroke/heart attack? undecided

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 11:44

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:44

We are not in a military conflict/time of war, then it’s kill or be killed it’s a bad analogy SL☹️. The waiting for ops vs anti vaxxers are not at war. Both our leaders & the NHS are damned if they do damned if they don’t, they will continue as they always do but I do know when this situation is behind us there will be a World screaming out for medics & a whole generation of medics burnt out & not wanting to continue. We will all be losers.

replied on 24/12/2021 11:50

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:36 by moulesy

Just a thought - many "older" folk are recommended to take statins to reduce the chances of stroke or a heart attack. A lot of those, according to a doctor we know well, decline either because of anxiety about side effects or simply because they consider it "unecessary". Should they be refused treatment if they suffer a stroke/heart attack? undecided

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook