Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

JVB66 replied on 24/12/2021 08:34

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:34

It seems it is not just the unvaxed  on wards that is causing the stress and burnout with NHS staff as in this area it seems many have got the new variant and others are having to isolate because they have been in contact,

We are having trains and buses cancelled because of staff off,

TfL have actually closed one underground route because of staff off 

peedee replied on 24/12/2021 08:35

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:35

I have always thought a way of helping fund the NHS is to levy a small daily charge for hospitalisation, after all board and lodging is being provided while you are not living at home and providing for yourself.

peedee

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 08:56

Posted on 24/12/2021 07:53 by SteveL

I agree they are flat out, but I agree with PD. We are talking about folk with life changing / saving Operations being cancelled, due to a shortage of intensive care beds. According to some reports 80% of those beds are occupied by the unvaccinated. They have been turned down, cancelled, postponed, call it what you will, for those vital ops because of the selfish actions of anti vaccers.

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:56

Steve-putting alternative points forward is one thing but who would support potentially killing some folk to save others. That is basically what you are saying. No one thinks the unvaccinated are good citizens but to hand them a death sentence is too much. Come up with a positive solution👍🏻

Fisherman replied on 24/12/2021 09:16

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:16

The antivaccers are selfish,unethical,stupid people. Even worse   they  spread false news and prevent sensible people get their vaccines. They idirectly cause misery and death to people who have other illnesses from being treated. They unecessary fill hospital beds and put the NHS itself in danger.  No one should condone or sympathise with their standpoint. The welfare of the majority trumps the  rights of the individual and drastic sction should be taken when they blatantly ignore world wide proof. Vaccines work and ae the best chance of beating the disease. If that means no NHS treatment so be it , conform or suffer.

JVB66 replied on 24/12/2021 09:20

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:20

It seems that as Cyber says some people are under the impression that no matter what self inflincted medical? problems they have ,it can be addressed and rectified by  the NHS

There was a Doctor on tv yesterday who was saying some anti vaxers who had through their own fault caught the covid virus ,could just walk into the NHS and would be given a jab that would cure it ? another false bit of information ,that has been banded about on social media

Cornersteady replied on 24/12/2021 09:47

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:35 by peedee

I have always thought a way of helping fund the NHS is to levy a small daily charge for hospitalisation, after all board and lodging is being provided while you are not living at home and providing for yourself.

peedee

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:47

But what about the people they live with and provide for, they go without a small part of their income?

It would be fine for people like us but what about those who are on the breadline? I suppose one could suggest means testing again?

Cornersteady replied on 24/12/2021 09:53

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:53

I'm really shocked by some of the comments written here about without holding income and treatment, deciding who is worthy of it leading to who should live or die, especially by 'we' on here that have everything compared to some. It appears that Dickens got it right.

Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die. It may be, that in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child. Oh God. to hear the Insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust

I'll keep my Christmas cheer and leave you all to yours.

Cornersteady replied on 24/12/2021 09:54

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:56 by Rocky 2 buckets

Steve-putting alternative points forward is one thing but who would support potentially killing some folk to save others. That is basically what you are saying. No one thinks the unvaccinated are good citizens but to hand them a death sentence is too much. Come up with a positive solution👍🏻

Posted on 24/12/2021 09:54

well said Rocky. 

SteveL replied on 24/12/2021 10:13

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:56 by Rocky 2 buckets

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:13

I wasn’t saying anything of the sort R2B, merely agreeing with PD’s point that there is little difference in withholding treatment from someone who hasn’t bothered to get vaccinated and those who urgently need operations for cancers. In neither case is it right and there is no way a doctor wouldn’t treat a person put in front of them in intensive care and I fully accept that is as it should be. However, on the other side of the scale the administrative side of the NHS are passing what amounts to death sentences on people who otherwise would have been dealt with much sooner. They are between a rock and a hard place and no way would I want their job.

JVB66 replied on 24/12/2021 10:32

Posted on 24/12/2021 10:32

It seems that with the dash to get as many vaxinated as possible NHS qualified to do vaxinations are being drafted in from where ever they can (as well as military personel) which has meants many outpatient clinics are now not operating,or severly reduced  ,so the waiting lists for those services will also be extended,as we have found this morning , when i managed to contact a clinic my OH was refered to as urgent back in September (no date yet)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook