Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/12/2021 12:09

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:31 by SteveL

With respect TW I suggest you get angry somewhat easily. It a perfectly valid point. There is nothing crass about it. Our leaders are following exactly the same methodology at the moment, offsetting the acceptable  number of deaths against damage to the economy, when deciding on future covid policy.

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:09

Actually, Steve, I am slow to anger but I find inhuman and thoughtless words hard to tolerate and if you had really meant "with respect", you would not have posted that comment. 

The rest of your post is simply your view and not necessarily fact on which to base anything. You are, of course, entitled to your view but please don't assume it is the correct one.

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 12:14

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:14

"However If I had been stupid enough to refuse at least I would be unlikely to harm others in the way these people potentially are."

But you might well be taking up an intensive care bed unecessarily which is what is under discussion here. Like you, I take statins, quite a high dose actually, but there is little different in principle between those who refuse medical advice, whatever their reason, I'd have thought? 

Fisherman replied on 24/12/2021 12:25

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:25

I wonder if the antis change their mind when it hits close to home or do they still put their heads in the sand.

replied on 24/12/2021 12:30

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:14 by moulesy

"However If I had been stupid enough to refuse at least I would be unlikely to harm others in the way these people potentially are."

But you might well be taking up an intensive care bed unecessarily which is what is under discussion here. Like you, I take statins, quite a high dose actually, but there is little different in principle between those who refuse medical advice, whatever their reason, I'd have thought? 

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:30

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 12:40

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:30 by

No if I was to follow my father and drop dead there would be no need for intensive care but if I had a heart attack now and survived would there be a bed for me I doubt it

Several here and including your good self now seem determined to defend the indefensible. I stood in an hour long queue along with the old and young for my booster and it seems some have queued much much longer. Our neighbor 97 years old couldnt wait to get hers, so no sympathy or understanding here for those too stupid and thoughtless to join normal society

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:40

As usual, you are twisting things, David - "defending the indefensible" - really? I have said,  more than once, that I simply cannot understand those who do not take up the offer of a free vaccination - you want it to be made compulsory,  I don't - as long as we're being told that vaccination is not 100% effective and whilst there is, admittedly a vanishingly small chance of unpredictable side effect, I don't consider those who decline "indefensible" - ill informed, socially negligent, selfish possibly but we live in a free society and that is their right however much we might disagree. frown

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/12/2021 12:44

Posted on 24/12/2021 11:50 by

I take statins. I had the "MOT" and the outcome based on my age, family history and most importantly gender was that I had a 27% chance of heart attack. The doctor said "you can either ruin your life giving up everything you enjoy or take a little pill". I have been fortunate to have suffered no side effects and am on the basic and probably cheapest version.but I do know people who have suffered severe side effects and it has taken several versions before they settled down.

However If I had been stupid enough to refuse  at least I would be unlikely to harm others in the way these people potentially are.

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:44

I was ‘stupid’ enough to refuse & took the hard route-lost weight, cut out red meat, dropped dairy products. I not only cut my cholesterol levels but reversed early diabetes🤷🏻‍♂️. There are 2 sides to every story.

replied on 24/12/2021 12:54

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:44 by Rocky 2 buckets

I was ‘stupid’ enough to refuse & took the hard route-lost weight, cut out red meat, dropped dairy products. I not only cut my cholesterol levels but reversed early diabetes🤷🏻‍♂️. There are 2 sides to every story.

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:54

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 24/12/2021 13:02

Posted on 24/12/2021 12:09 by Tinwheeler

Actually, Steve, I am slow to anger but I find inhuman and thoughtless words hard to tolerate and if you had really meant "with respect", you would not have posted that comment. 

The rest of your post is simply your view and not necessarily fact on which to base anything. You are, of course, entitled to your view but please don't assume it is the correct one.

Posted on 24/12/2021 13:02

Of course it’s my view. As are your posts on the subject. However, I’m not the one calling another’s views crass, none of the definitions of which are particularly nice and certainly something I would never level at another poster. As it seems this thread is heading in the direction of many others lately and destined for closure, I will wish one and all a Merry and safe Christmas and retire to my Christmas dinner prep.

Tammygirl replied on 24/12/2021 13:50

Posted on 24/12/2021 08:56 by Rocky 2 buckets

Steve-putting alternative points forward is one thing but who would support potentially killing some folk to save others. That is basically what you are saying. No one thinks the unvaccinated are good citizens but to hand them a death sentence is too much. Come up with a positive solution👍🏻

Posted on 24/12/2021 13:50

But isn't that the point, anti vaxxers are taking up beds, which other folk who are waiting for life saving treatment can't have. So which ever way you look at it there is a possibility that someone is going to suffer unnecessarily and possibly die.

I know who I would give the bed to and it would be the antuvaxxer, you reap what you sow. 

moulesy replied on 24/12/2021 14:03

Posted on 24/12/2021 13:50 by Tammygirl

But isn't that the point, anti vaxxers are taking up beds, which other folk who are waiting for life saving treatment can't have. So which ever way you look at it there is a possibility that someone is going to suffer unnecessarily and possibly die.

I know who I would give the bed to and it would be the antuvaxxer, you reap what you sow. 

Posted on 24/12/2021 14:03

Not all unvaccinated people are "anti vaxxers" though - I'd reserve that particular description for those who try to peddle fake news about the vaccine to dissuade others from taking up the offer. Some, perhaps many, decline the vaccine for principled reasons, albeit completely incomprehensible to you or me. So who is to judge whether an individual arriving at hospital needing treatment is one or the other? And as I suggested earlier there are other occasions when folk who act against medical advice turn out to need urgent treatment.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook