Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

peedee replied on 23/12/2021 15:38

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:38

One of the restrictions is to put the anti vaxers at the back of the queue for hospital treatment if they need care because they have CIVID. Give priority to the millions of those waiting for appointments and suffering because of lack of beds and staff to administer care.

peedee

mickysf replied on 23/12/2021 15:41

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:41

What to do with the vaccine ‘shy’ is a difficult conundrum. We as a family are all vaccinated up but there exists a difference of opinion amongst us as to the degree of caution to be adopted. I’m still reticent to enter any crowded setting and certainly would be unhappy getting into a plane. Others are happy with this.
Yes, it looks like the latest variant is far more mild in its efforts to make us feel unwell but we are being told that it’s not this that is the issue, it’s the number of folks catching it. Apparently it is very much more transmitable and there in lies a problem- the chances of more variants popping up! Surely we should be doing our best not to allow this to happen until the numbers infected are reduced significantly. Possibly, Worldwide many would argue.

Cornersteady replied on 23/12/2021 15:44

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:38 by peedee

One of the restrictions is to put the anti vaxers at the back of the queue for hospital treatment if they need care because they have CIVID. Give priority to the millions of those waiting for appointments and suffering because of lack of beds and staff to administer care.

peedee

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:44

I can't really agree with that at all and more to the point neither would any doctor or nurse? Could you really see any medical professional turning down care for someone who needs it there and then? Could you personally do that?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/12/2021 15:47

Posted on 23/12/2021 14:35 by Tammygirl

Well today we did get a bit more confirmation that Omicron does look to not be as deadly as Delta or the other varients. Still highly transmitable.

So if anyone out there hasn't had their jabs and doesn't want them, this is the varient in which to get infected by, less illness but you still get the antibodies. Maybe we will get herd immunity after all.undecided

Looking at the figures for Scotland, the care sector here has done themselves very proud, 100% of care home workers are fully vaccinated, NHS not quite so good but the worst group was the Social care workers at around 85% you would have thought that they would have been higher than that given the nature of the folk they have to deal with.

I'm all for making life more difficult for those who refuse to get vaccinated.

Switzerland have now gone for vaccinate or you don't get access to certain services, no negative tests allowed.

France, a Dr's surgery was closed by the authorities because the Dr himself refused to get vaccinated. Rightly so I think.

More and more countries are going to go down the route of restrictions for the unvaccinated.

Trying to get that across to one of my DILs is an up hill battle. My son has been done but she refuses to be done even though she works as a TA in a school.

Neither of their teenagers have been encouraged to go, we have tried our best but their Mum is not helping. So if they can't go to the cinema, ice skating, swimming, holidays etc. Then so be it, they will have to miss out on all the fun things. I do hope they bring it in that you have to have a Covid passport for the bingo, it's the only way DIL will get done 😁😁

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:47

100% of care workers vax’d?-excellent👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻. ‘Care worker’, it’s in the name-they care. I’ve been saying that-‘Omicron is less deadly’ for around 2 weeks now, some folk questioned my data, I think the fact South Africa told us this over 2 weeks ago yet the UK Govt wouldn’t accept it says volumes on playing fast & loose with facts🤷🏻‍♂️

Tammygirl replied on 23/12/2021 16:15

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:47 by Rocky 2 buckets

100% of care workers vax’d?-excellent👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻. ‘Care worker’, it’s in the name-they care. I’ve been saying that-‘Omicron is less deadly’ for around 2 weeks now, some folk questioned my data, I think the fact South Africa told us this over 2 weeks ago yet the UK Govt wouldn’t accept it says volumes on playing fast & loose with facts🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:15

Me too, I've been following the SA data and the Dr that first brought it to the world's attention.

Yes its highly transmitable but serious illness should be less (unless you are not vaccinated)

There was a news announcement this morning that NSW in Australia are considering charging (for medical care) those unvaccinated folk if they require hospital treatment. Not confirmed yet but I bet it focuses some folks minds.

We've been say for a long time now that at some point we are just going to have get on and live with it. I think we are very close to that now in the UK. 

brue replied on 23/12/2021 16:20

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:20

I think they are still analysing the data. SA has a lot of other endemic illnesses, HIV and TB and a younger population, life expectancy is much lower. Much depends on the prevailing circumstances here and in SA, they're different.

Covid has spread rapidly in our family this week, adults and children. Luckily not our nearest ones.

SeasideBill replied on 23/12/2021 16:45

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:47 by Rocky 2 buckets

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:45

It doesn’t matter much that Omicron is less deadly. If it can infect twice as many people as delta, then the end result is going to be about the same. In fact it poses more of a threat because increased infections take more key workers out of circulation, the type of people who keep the UK going every day. 

replied on 23/12/2021 16:59

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

allanandjean replied on 23/12/2021 17:11

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:45 by SeasideBill

It doesn’t matter much that Omicron is less deadly. If it can infect twice as many people as delta, then the end result is going to be about the same. In fact it poses more of a threat because increased infections take more key workers out of circulation, the type of people who keep the UK going every day. 

Posted on 23/12/2021 17:11

Being a realist with experience, rather than a cynic, I suppose that is why the isolation time has been cut from 10 to 7 days-its all very well having rules but, once they become a pain, well......................just change them. 

As TG mentioned, at some point lock-downs, lockd-own light, circuit beakers, HMG saying carry on-just be so careful that you cant actually carry on etc etc, will have to give way to accepting that we have, with the help of vaccinations etc, going to have to get on with it.

I am not saying everything will, or should be abandoned rather that the more strident calls for restrictions will be met with less and less willingness to be either implemented or followed. 

LLM replied on 23/12/2021 17:19

Posted on 23/12/2021 16:45 by SeasideBill

Posted on 23/12/2021 17:19

The job of a virus is to spread, but I have no idea why and for what reason.  It can't do that if it kills it's host.  In the past to that end they have adjusted in two ways, becoming more transmissible but less virulent.  My finger are crossed in the hope of this being a change that will be like that.  

Unfortunately the more unvaccinated people that catch, incubate, and allow the virus the opportunity to mutate the greater the risk that a more lethal variant will emerge again accidentally.  We need to vaccinate the world.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook