Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

replied on 23/12/2021 12:03

Posted on 23/12/2021 11:48 by moulesy

So compulsion "by the back door"? frown

Like you I am totally at a loss to understand why any right minded person should not take up the offer of free vaccination. But we do not live in a totalitarian society and the thought that folk who hold such views, for whatever reason, should be made to "toe the government line" by being deprived of their livelihood/benefits is just plain wrong (IMHO).

Make life difficult for them by all means, limit their ability to choose where to go and interact with others, but as long as we are being told that the vaccine is not 100% effective and that there is the, admittedly vanishingly small, possibility of serious side effects compulsion is not an option that should be considered.

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:03

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Fisherman replied on 23/12/2021 12:07

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:07

Yes really strict. Even  Tony Blair called them idiots,so must be true.

mickysf replied on 23/12/2021 12:10

Posted on 23/12/2021 11:48 by moulesy

So compulsion "by the back door"? frown

Like you I am totally at a loss to understand why any right minded person should not take up the offer of free vaccination. But we do not live in a totalitarian society and the thought that folk who hold such views, for whatever reason, should be made to "toe the government line" by being deprived of their livelihood/benefits is just plain wrong (IMHO).

Make life difficult for them by all means, limit their ability to choose where to go and interact with others, but as long as we are being told that the vaccine is not 100% effective and that there is the, admittedly vanishingly small, possibility of serious side effects compulsion is not an option that should be considered.

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:10

Pretty much agree with all of this apart from the ‘make life difficult for them’ bit. I would argue that they make life difficult for themselves! If the vast majority of us are prepared to protect ourselves, loved ones and the vulnerable amongst us then this would force them to take responsibility of their own actions, or lack of them. I’m convinced that the self inflicted inconveniences brought upon many of them would be persuasion enough, the rest are beyond our help!

moulesy replied on 23/12/2021 12:13

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:03 by

So you would be happy to be treated ,have  a loved one cared for, or your child if you had any by this type of person.  I worked in an industry where there were very very strict safety rules backed up by instant dismissal and life time ban from the industry and perfectlyjustified too.. I think the rights of the many outweigh those of the few , call it compulsion if you like  I am happy with that.

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:13

Actually, no, I should have made it clearer that I do agree with care home staff and NHS front line workers being required to be fully vaccinated. All the staff in my dad's care home, while he was alive, were very quick to comply. But you were talking about "everyone in employment" or on benefits.

As I have told you before (and please don't accuse me again of using a personal tragedy to score points), we lost my brother to hospital acquired covid just over year ago.

But I stand by my opinion that the wider point about compulsion by the back door is anathema in a free society - I don't understand those who refuse to be vaccinated, much less so when they try to inflict their views on others, but I also dislike the thought of inflicting my/our views on them.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/12/2021 12:19

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:13 by moulesy

Actually, no, I should have made it clearer that I do agree with care home staff and NHS front line workers being required to be fully vaccinated. All the staff in my dad's care home, while he was alive, were very quick to comply.

As I have told you before (and please don't accuse me again of using a personal tragedy to score points), we lost my brother to hospital acquired covid just over year ago.

But I stand by my opinion that the wider point about compulsion by the back door is anathema in a free society - I don't understand those who refuse to be vaccinated, much less so when they try to inflict their views on others, but I also dislike the thought of inflicting my/our views on them.

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:19

+1, I’m another one just like MSF too that is not for compulsion. Make it difficult but no bullying at all, we still live in a country that is relatively for free will👍🏻

replied on 23/12/2021 12:29

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:13 by moulesy

Actually, no, I should have made it clearer that I do agree with care home staff and NHS front line workers being required to be fully vaccinated. All the staff in my dad's care home, while he was alive, were very quick to comply. But you were talking about "everyone in employment" or on benefits.

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

moulesy replied on 23/12/2021 13:11

Posted on 23/12/2021 12:29 by

We will differ and I am happy with that .I am for honest up front compulsion and you want it by the back door. 

Posted on 23/12/2021 13:11

No, I don't want compulsion at all and I'm curious to know how you interpreted my post that way?  Perhaps you could enlighten me? undecided

Cornersteady replied on 23/12/2021 14:31

Posted on 23/12/2021 14:31

I am in the everyone should be vaccinated camp, certainly! I agree that those who have not been vaccinated, apart from where there are medical grounds, should face some consequences of that, like they cannot go to certain events and places and there could be/is a case for certain jobs.

However I draw the line at withdrawing any benefits, that is too harsh. If I thought that then personally for me I should hope I'd be expecting a ghost when the bells tolls one.

Tammygirl replied on 23/12/2021 14:35

Posted on 23/12/2021 14:35

Well today we did get a bit more confirmation that Omicron does look to not be as deadly as Delta or the other varients. Still highly transmitable.

So if anyone out there hasn't had their jabs and doesn't want them, this is the varient in which to get infected by, less illness but you still get the antibodies. Maybe we will get herd immunity after all.undecided

Looking at the figures for Scotland, the care sector here has done themselves very proud, 100% of care home workers are fully vaccinated, NHS not quite so good but the worst group was the Social care workers at around 85% you would have thought that they would have been higher than that given the nature of the folk they have to deal with.

I'm all for making life more difficult for those who refuse to get vaccinated.

Switzerland have now gone for vaccinate or you don't get access to certain services, no negative tests allowed.

France, a Dr's surgery was closed by the authorities because the Dr himself refused to get vaccinated. Rightly so I think.

More and more countries are going to go down the route of restrictions for the unvaccinated.

Trying to get that across to one of my DILs is an up hill battle. My son has been done but she refuses to be done even though she works as a TA in a school.

Neither of their teenagers have been encouraged to go, we have tried our best but their Mum is not helping. So if they can't go to the cinema, ice skating, swimming, holidays etc. Then so be it, they will have to miss out on all the fun things. I do hope they bring it in that you have to have a Covid passport for the bingo, it's the only way DIL will get done 😁😁

moulesy replied on 23/12/2021 15:17

Posted on 23/12/2021 15:17

I agree with that, TG. Restrictions on those sorts of activities are the right way to persuade those who are reluctant to take up the offer of free protection. And persuasion is always a better route than criminalisation.  👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook