Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2021 12:39

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:26 by mylo

wearing masks has affected a lot of people’s mental health do you want them to stay in there homes or go out and get back to normal. A lot of people wearing masks have them over there mouths but not over there nose.i wont ask you to take your mask of but please don’t ask me to put one on

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:39

Mylo, I have quickly looked at the posts above and has anyone actually said you should wear a mask? 

All I can see is that people have said it is up to the individual?

replied on 06/07/2021 12:39

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:26 by mylo

wearing masks has affected a lot of people’s mental health do you want them to stay in there homes or go out and get back to normal. A lot of people wearing masks have them over there mouths but not over there nose.i wont ask you to take your mask of but please don’t ask me to put one on

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:39

I want them to feel able to go out Mylo and I suspect that there are many who will feel more comfortable to go out and about to do their shopping in a supermarket if folks are masked. If the more vulnerable feel unable to do this I feel that to be far more damaging to their mental health. There are many vulnerable people - more than many realise.

I am not asking that you wear a mask Mylo. Do as you will.

replied on 06/07/2021 12:41

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:39 by Cornersteady

Mylo, I have quickly looked at the posts above and has anyone actually said you should wear a mask? 

All I can see is that people have said it is up to the individual?

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:41

There is nobody wishing to make Mylo feel guilty at his choices

DavidKlyne replied on 06/07/2021 12:49

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:42 by AnnB

I recently read that scientific research had discovered there was little chance of cross infection from touching surfaces.  The main causes of transmission are by breathing it in, hence the stress on ventilation, distancing etc.  

If you inside, in close proximity to someone with Covid then your chances of it being passed on is greater.

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:49

That is as I understand it. Professor Tim Spector said on one of his recent YT videos that there is very little, if any, evidence that COVID is passed on by infection from surfaces. That should not discourage people from practising good hand hygiene because there are lots of other bugs that can be passed on that way.

The science is pretty clear how you catch COVID. It is all to do with viral load. So the greater the amount of viral load you get the worse you are likely to suffer from the infection. Masks go some way to protecting you from getting the amount of viral load that might mean the difference between being very ill in hospital and a more mild infection. All the evidence points to transmission being in more confined spaces so you would probably be pretty safe out in the open air but as soon as you move indoors the risk increases. Screens in shops do help protect staff as the interrupt the onward airbound flow of the virus. We all know about the people that have died in Care Homes but there seems very little in the way of statistics on the number of bus drivers/taxi drivers and shop staff who have died. If the Government continue with doing away with restrictions there will be those who have no interest in the safety of others and will probably immediately abandon the use of masks regardless of situation. Many will want to continue with them but I just hope they don't open themselves to ridicule by those who think freedom is a place without masks?

David

SeasideBill replied on 06/07/2021 13:15

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:49 by DavidKlyne

That is as I understand it. Professor Tim Spector said on one of his recent YT videos that there is very little, if any, evidence that COVID is passed on by infection from surfaces. That should not discourage people from practising good hand hygiene because there are lots of other bugs that can be passed on that way.

The science is pretty clear how you catch COVID. It is all to do with viral load. So the greater the amount of viral load you get the worse you are likely to suffer from the infection. Masks go some way to protecting you from getting the amount of viral load that might mean the difference between being very ill in hospital and a more mild infection. All the evidence points to transmission being in more confined spaces so you would probably be pretty safe out in the open air but as soon as you move indoors the risk increases. Screens in shops do help protect staff as the interrupt the onward airbound flow of the virus. We all know about the people that have died in Care Homes but there seems very little in the way of statistics on the number of bus drivers/taxi drivers and shop staff who have died. If the Government continue with doing away with restrictions there will be those who have no interest in the safety of others and will probably immediately abandon the use of masks regardless of situation. Many will want to continue with them but I just hope they don't open themselves to ridicule by those who think freedom is a place without masks?

David

Posted on 06/07/2021 13:15

Prof Tim Spector (Kings College, London) does some interesting topical research. My wife is part of a long-term project using twins as the basis of genetic epidemiology. There’s a database of 10k twins which has been used extensively for Covid research - currently looking at antibodies acquired from vaccine -v- infection.

One of his recent publications focussed on the association of social distancing and face mask use with the risk of Covid-19

Major conclusion was: Individuals living in communities with the greatest social distancing had a 31% lower risk of predicted COVID-19 compared with those living in communities with poor social distancing. Self-reported ‘always’ use of face mask was associated with a 62% reduced risk of predicted COVID-19 even among individuals living in a community with poor social distancing. These findings provide support for the efficacy of mask-wearing even in settings of poor social distancing in reducing COVID-19 transmission. Despite mass vaccination campaigns in many parts of the world, continued efforts at social distancing and face mask use remain critically important in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

replied on 06/07/2021 14:02

Posted on 06/07/2021 13:15 by SeasideBill

Prof Tim Spector (Kings College, London) does some interesting topical research. My wife is part of a long-term project using twins as the basis of genetic epidemiology. There’s a database of 10k twins which has been used extensively for Covid research - currently looking at antibodies acquired from vaccine -v- infection.

One of his recent publications focussed on the association of social distancing and face mask use with the risk of Covid-19

Major conclusion was: Individuals living in communities with the greatest social distancing had a 31% lower risk of predicted COVID-19 compared with those living in communities with poor social distancing. Self-reported ‘always’ use of face mask was associated with a 62% reduced risk of predicted COVID-19 even among individuals living in a community with poor social distancing. These findings provide support for the efficacy of mask-wearing even in settings of poor social distancing in reducing COVID-19 transmission. Despite mass vaccination campaigns in many parts of the world, continued efforts at social distancing and face mask use remain critically important in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

Posted on 06/07/2021 14:02

The other aspect is that mask wearing does, in my view, improve the more vulnerable feeling to enter such areas to do shopping and therefore reduces isolation hopefully. I have two vulnerable daughters. One around 38 with Asthma and unable to be vaccinated and one around 48 in heart failure. I know that they would wish to shop where masks are worn.

Wherenext replied on 06/07/2021 14:16

Posted on 06/07/2021 14:16

ET, my MiL is 88 and if we are not around to act as taxi she'll catch the bus in normal times to town. When Covid struck she stopped getting the bus and stopped wanting to go to town completely.

Just lately she has resumed but has stated that she doesn't want to do so in the near future if people are not wearing masks on the bus and in shops. We feel she might shift slightly in shops depending on the numbers in said shops but you are quite right when you say that there are more people than one would have thought who hold similar views.

Yes she has had both vaccines and yes she is in good health but like many people her age she has lost friends to this dratted Covid.

She has no problems walking around in fresh air without masks and fully understands that being in the open vastly reduces her likelihood of catching it that way.

I really do feel that Johnson has painted himself into a corner and doesn't want to maintain these restrictions so as not to lose face, not that he has anymore face to lose in my opinion. By all means open things up again but take into account the vulnerable and those who feel safer with face masks being compulsory indoors. 

Just glad I don't have to commute in packed trains or buses.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/07/2021 16:21

Posted on 06/07/2021 16:21

We shall simply carry on doing our own risk assessments for ourselves and our very vulnerable 92 year old Mum. I realise we are fortunate in that we have only ourselves to consider, having no children, not working, and a steady income. Our biggest concern has been not being able to see some of our family, and most of our friends, but thankfully, everyone has been sensible, only two younger members, (both teachers) have had the virus, but thankfully recovered. We have started having the odd outdoor meet up, mutually looking after each other.

Mum is our chief risk and concern, she has dementia, so simply doesn’t remember at the time why she needs to have a mask on, why she cannot wander around shops as she loves, why we are constantly asking her to use sanitising liquid etc..... Mum needs 24 hour care, which we give her.

Then there is my OH. Was on the shielding list due to a couple of serious previous health conditions, still would be vulnerable, despite double vaccinations. Again, needs to avoid the risk of getting Covid.

We have adapted and compromised, walk away from anything that doesn’t look or feel safe, but are still enjoying ourselves, taking holidays, having days out, having an outdoor coffee, using selected shops. We are very grateful to those who are providing these services, and consider us taking any precautions, as trying to help others as well, who might not be in the easy situation we are.

All we can hope is not to find ourselves in a situation with those who lack common sense, or simply don’t care. Thankfully, rare so far.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook