Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

replied on 06/07/2021 11:43

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:17 by davetommo

What I would like to know is how do you catch the bug. Do you breathe it in or do you catch it from touching things or both?

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:43

The disease is most likely to be contracted by breathing in the droplets containing the virus exhaled by others. 

We are told that it is possible to collect the virus on the fingers and contact with your mucus by rubbing your eye, picking your nose etc could lead to an infection but less likely

davetommo replied on 06/07/2021 11:53

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:43 by

The disease is most likely to be contracted by breathing in the droplets containing the virus exhaled by others. 

We are told that it is possible to collect the virus on the fingers and contact with your mucus by rubbing your eye, picking your nose etc could lead to an infection but less likely

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:53

So basically if you wear a mask and some one doesn’t then you should be ok because the mask should stop you breathing in the droplets. And don’t pick your nose or rub your eyes and as they say wash hands regular.

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2021 12:02

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:53 by davetommo

So basically if you wear a mask and some one doesn’t then you should be ok because the mask should stop you breathing in the droplets. And don’t pick your nose or rub your eyes and as they say wash hands regular.

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:02

No because you still can breath in as there are gaps between the mask and your face and you will suck in air and any droplets through those gaps. The mask does more to prevent you passing on the virus.

Face coverings worn over the nose and mouth reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets from coughs, sneezes and speaking.
The main purpose is to protect others from Covid, rather than yourself. If everyone wears one, the risks drop for all.

replied on 06/07/2021 12:05

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:53 by davetommo

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:05

Most people do not wear a close fitting mask and so there is no guarantee. Because when you wear a mask and the breath from your nose goes mainly downwards there is a better chance of protecting others and particularly as there will be less projection directly at others. Not perfect but, in my view far better than nothing. My youngest daughter uses double sided dress tape such that the mask conforms to the contours. She says that it also stops her glasses steaming up.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/07/2021 12:11

Posted on 06/07/2021 11:13 by Cornersteady

yes Prof Whitty said the same last night 

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:11

So it wasn't my memory at failt. Thanks, Corners👍

davetommo replied on 06/07/2021 12:13

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:05 by

Most people do not wear a close fitting mask and so there is no guarantee. Because when you wear a mask and the breath from your nose goes mainly downwards there is a better chance of protecting others and particularly as there will be less projection directly at others. Not perfect but, in my view far better than nothing. My youngest daughter uses double sided dress tape such that the mask conforms to the contours. She says that it also stops her glasses steaming up.

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:13

So basically the maskless shop assistant behind a screen  can pass it on 

replied on 06/07/2021 12:23

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:13 by davetommo

So basically the maskless shop assistant behind a screen  can pass it on 

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:23

Far less likely though. They are not breathing directly at you and so any virus is dissipated. This means that you are far less likely to receive a sufficiently high viral load to actually develop an infection. The cashiers were I shop also wear a mask.

The takeaway has fully screened counters and although staff are not masked my contact is limited to stepping inside for a moment to collect a bag from a small gap near the door. It remains to be seen how management deals with the situation in England

mylo replied on 06/07/2021 12:26

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:26

wearing masks has affected a lot of people’s mental health do you want them to stay in there homes or go out and get back to normal. A lot of people wearing masks have them over there mouths but not over there nose.i wont ask you to take your mask of but please don’t ask me to put one on

JVB66 replied on 06/07/2021 12:29

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:26 by mylo

wearing masks has affected a lot of people’s mental health do you want them to stay in there homes or go out and get back to normal. A lot of people wearing masks have them over there mouths but not over there nose.i wont ask you to take your mask of but please don’t ask me to put one on

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:29

I take your post is correct and  you have evidence to back up your claimsundecided

The only problems that seems quite a few hard of hearing folk are at a disadvantage when unable to lipread those wearing masks, me included but I do not think my mental health has been affected

As posted earlier Boris has given those an excuse not to protect others by withdrawing the mandatory wearing of masks in vulnerable areas

davetommo replied on 06/07/2021 12:31

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:26 by mylo

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:31

Well said Mylo

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook