Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Pliers replied on 05/07/2021 22:06

Posted on 05/07/2021 22:06

Wonder how the relaxations of restrictions will effect Club sites?

Assume the enhanced  facilities cleaning / 1pm check in / rubber bands on hooks / ban on site visitors etc will all be a thing of the past.

Bet the site wardens / managers hope so! 

🙂

replied on 06/07/2021 09:17

Posted on 05/07/2021 20:03 by Fisherman

Following the science is no longer the mantra then.

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:17

It seems that the government believes that the vaccinated population is enough to outrun the virus. It has not been so much about saving deaths as saving the NHS. wink Government believes that UK needs to get back to normal. 

I agree that it is time to live with Covid, However where I disagree is the dropping of masks in supermarkets and public transport for two main reasons. People have little choice on buying food but they can make their own decisions on other situations. Vulnerable people have had 12months+ of anxiety and people wearing masks in supermarkets etc gives them some degree of peace of mind and same for public transport. 

I wonder if Ladbrokes will give odds on the possibility of public transport strikes as a result of removal of mask restrictions?

I believe that living with Covid does not mean making no mitigation in all situations. There has, rightly,  been a lot of talk about mental health damage during the restrictions. Does anybody believe that removing mask wearing in shops, buses etc will aid the most vulnerable with their mental health? 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/07/2021 09:20

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:20

I intend to wear one whenever I’m in crowds/potential crowds. I will do this until I feel comfortable not doing it. I don’t trust anyone with my wellbeing other than me. Geez the Govt would be below the ships cat when it comes to trust🤷🏻‍♂️👍🏻

mylo replied on 06/07/2021 09:41

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:41

Hi if people feel safe wearing a mask in shops that’s fine the choice is theres but let the rest of us make up our own minds think it’s called freedom 

Metheven replied on 06/07/2021 09:51

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:51

There seems to be two groups in the immortal category, the young 'Billy no jabs' and the older 'Billy two jabs'. Many in my age group of the 60-70s that have had both jabs seem oblivious to the fact that although hospitilisation and death are greatly reduced, the jabs efficiency rate still poses a risk, especially to those with underlying health problems.

Although I have no underlying health problems I will pick and choose my moments where I think a face mask might be appropriate for me, such as a crowded bus, a crowded shop etc. I will be cautious for some time yet until figures appear that vaccination puts this under control, and becomes another virus like flu that is controllable for the many. 

SeasideBill replied on 06/07/2021 09:53

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:53

I think BJ made an interesting point about if not now, when? There is a window between now and autumn when the risk is reduced as much inside activity is displaced by outside activity. As we know that’s a much safer environment. The vast majority of the vulnerable and adult population have been double jabbed. The science tells us the vaccine is highly effective and the data proves the weakening link between infection and serious illness. Younger people account for most new infections, but tend not to be hospitalised, just spreading it amongst themselves, developing antibodies while the reservoir for infection constantly diminishes and the virus burns itself out. We have to check-out at some time so now maybe as good as it gets? I hate wearing a mask, but I’ll continue to do so where I judge it appropriate for the safety of others.

replied on 06/07/2021 09:56

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:41 by mylo

Hi if people feel safe wearing a mask in shops that’s fine the choice is theres but let the rest of us make up our own minds think it’s called freedom 

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:56

It is not a question, for me, that I feel safe. It is a question to ask the more vulnerable. Their are many people on prescription drugs that reduce their ability to produce the necessary antibodies etc to reach the requisite level of immunity, In my youngest daughters case she suffers with asthma and sometimes quite badly. She does wear a mask in shops but is very limited in how long she can wear one and therefore avoids supermarkets in favour of smaller shops to top up any online supermarket orders. She has been advised by doctors and hospital that, following tests, she should not take the vaccine due to various allergies and contra indications. It is for such people that I would prefer masks to remain in certain areas, not for me. The 'choice' is not theirs as they are affected by the choices of others.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/07/2021 09:57

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:41 by mylo

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:57

But freedom for whom? The people that work in shops or public transport? As Chris Whitty said yesterday it is about showing respect for those around us and making a judgement depending on the environment we are in. One way we can show that respect is to try and protect others. I hate wearing a mask but put up with it because I feel it protects me as well as anyone I come in contact with. It seems the Government is starting to suggest, as they did at the very beginning of the pandemic that masks were only of limited use. Strange that a few days ago the NHS said that the right type of masks in hospitals protect staff and patients alike. I know who I am more inclined to believe.

JVB66 replied on 06/07/2021 09:58

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:58

Those who have not seen or had to live with the results of the pandemic, really do not live in the real world, I would have thought with being infected himself Boris , would have been a bit more aware that by making the wearing of face masks in shops and on public transport optional, would be another poor decision, that will open the flood gates to more of those that have little or no consideration  for othersyell

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook