Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

SteveL replied on 05/07/2021 09:51

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:46 by

The rate dropped to around its present level a while after India supply of AZ stopped as they needed it themselves. Th UK government said that they were expecting supplies in a month or so. The rates never increased. I have seen a similar drop off in other European countries with no shortage of arms available. 

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:51

Very true ET. My sister and BinL who live in the Provence, had to wait another two weeks for their second jab, as there just wasn’t any AZ available.

Wherenext replied on 05/07/2021 18:31

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:01 by SteveL

Wearing face coverings will no longer be compulsory but the public and businesses will be urged to apply “common sense” and consider using them in enclosed spaces. The public will also be warned that some shops, restaurants or public transport will decide to continue to require them.

I am sure removing the speed limit on motorways and urging folk to stick to 70 mph would work equally well.🤔

Posted on 05/07/2021 18:31

Remember when they asked the public to act responsibly and don't panic buy in supermarkets at the beginning of the epidemic. That worked out well didn't it?

I'm afraid I'm rather sceptical about the degree of common sense held by my fellow human beings.

Bakers2 replied on 05/07/2021 18:45

Posted on 05/07/2021 18:45

I despair 🥲🥲. All that sacrificing by all gone in a puff of smoke! We'll be locked down again or else we have to accept the caranage and deaths.......

Good interview on PM Radio 4 5pm, didn't catch all names, but lack of masks brought up by public transport chap. Drivers of the buses.... Staff in bars where folk can buy at the bar, official reply they could wear masks, Evan Davies reply they'll be encouraged not to for the sake of the atmosphere......

Looks like any going out for us will be sooner while the existing rules/law applies. Then back to hunckering down and more risk assessments of activities then we use now.

Bakers2 replied on 05/07/2021 18:48

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:01 by SteveL

Wearing face coverings will no longer be compulsory but the public and businesses will be urged to apply “common sense” and consider using them in enclosed spaces. The public will also be warned that some shops, restaurants or public transport will decide to continue to require them.

I am sure removing the speed limit on motorways and urging folk to stick to 70 mph would work equally well.🤔

Posted on 05/07/2021 18:48

We all know how it works when it's the limit..........

I've never been overtaken by anything exceeding 70mph , image of pinocchio would be great!

brue replied on 05/07/2021 19:16

Posted on 05/07/2021 19:16

Some will feel freer and some will remain more cautious, very difficult for anyone who can't have the vaccine. Hope people will still think of others, more of the same for us I think? I'm glad I'm past the age of enjoying crowded bars! 

I miss the theatre and music but that problem is solved locally, our small theatre is being knocked down to make way for a 2000 seater venue!!

Takethedogalong replied on 05/07/2021 19:36

Posted on 05/07/2021 19:36

Respect and a degree of understanding will be the key issues. I would hope that employers will carry out careful risk assessments for staff and visitors, and that those using services will respect any changes/restrictions put into place without rancour. One can only hope.........

Fisherman replied on 05/07/2021 20:03

Posted on 05/07/2021 20:03

Following the science is no longer the mantra then.

heddlo replied on 05/07/2021 20:19

Posted on 05/07/2021 20:19

Horrified with these decisions, especially no compulsory masks in public places!  Part of me can understand that things can’t be locked down forever  but I’m rather afraid that ‘personal responsibility’ will just not work. Feel so sorry for the key workers too, they must feel so vulnerable. 

DavidKlyne replied on 05/07/2021 21:29

Posted on 05/07/2021 20:19 by heddlo

Horrified with these decisions, especially no compulsory masks in public places!  Part of me can understand that things can’t be locked down forever  but I’m rather afraid that ‘personal responsibility’ will just not work. Feel so sorry for the key workers too, they must feel so vulnerable. 

Posted on 05/07/2021 21:29

I was interested in the reply of Chris Whitty when as about masks which I thought was in direct opposite from what the PM was saying. It would make absolute sense for masks to be retained on public transport. What worries me about leaving it to the individual is what happens when someone wears a mask and is then taken to task or worse by someone who doesn't like them? 

David

davetommo replied on 05/07/2021 21:53

Posted on 05/07/2021 21:29 by DavidKlyne

I was interested in the reply of Chris Whitty when as about masks which I thought was in direct opposite from what the PM was saying. It would make absolute sense for masks to be retained on public transport. What worries me about leaving it to the individual is what happens when someone wears a mask and is then taken to task or worse by someone who doesn't like them? 

David

Posted on 05/07/2021 21:53

I have a feeling it might be the other way round. The ones wearing masks taking the non wearers to task. The people who are for wearing masks seem to be the more vociferous

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook