Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Fisherman replied on 30/06/2021 17:22

Posted on 30/06/2021 17:22

We recently experience senior Londoners who came on holiday travelling by public transport ( train). Arriving Friday, showed symptoms on Sunday. Proved positive by test on Wednesday. Returned to London again by public transport before their quarantine time was up, So not just the young are feckless.

ABM replied on 03/07/2021 15:59

Posted on 03/07/2021 15:59

How disgusting of them, Fishy,  BUT I have to admit 'feckless' ain't the term I would use  yell  !

JVB66 replied on 03/07/2021 16:15

Posted on 30/06/2021 17:22 by Fisherman

We recently experience senior Londoners who came on holiday travelling by public transport ( train). Arriving Friday, showed symptoms on Sunday. Proved positive by test on Wednesday. Returned to London again by public transport before their quarantine time was up, So not just the young are feckless.

Posted on 03/07/2021 16:15

It seems you have evidence that all the "problems?" covid related have only it seems have come from london? what ever would the attraction be? 

Fisherman replied on 03/07/2021 17:20

Posted on 03/07/2021 17:20

No one else had symptoms in the village, but after they came 3 went down with it. Fortunately none were that serious but it just shows how vigilant we still have to be.

Fisherman replied on 03/07/2021 17:22

Posted on 03/07/2021 17:22

The info came direct from the visitors, is that enough? Going back they booked a taxi from the holiday cottage to the station at Machynlleth.

SteveL replied on 05/07/2021 08:01

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:01

Wearing face coverings will no longer be compulsory but the public and businesses will be urged to apply “common sense” and consider using them in enclosed spaces. The public will also be warned that some shops, restaurants or public transport will decide to continue to require them.

I am sure removing the speed limit on motorways and urging folk to stick to 70 mph would work equally well.🤔

replied on 05/07/2021 08:15

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:01 by SteveL

Wearing face coverings will no longer be compulsory but the public and businesses will be urged to apply “common sense” and consider using them in enclosed spaces. The public will also be warned that some shops, restaurants or public transport will decide to continue to require them.

I am sure removing the speed limit on motorways and urging folk to stick to 70 mph would work equally well.🤔

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:15

I consider this issue poorly dealt with and agree with the statement from BMA "The BMA said that the number of people admitted to hospitals in England with Covid-19 had risen by 55% in a week.

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, BMA council chairman, called the jump in cases alarming - fuelled by the spread of the Delta variant and increased social mixing.

"It makes no sense to remove restrictions in their entirety in just over two weeks' time," Dr Nagpaul said.

The BMA called for the continued use of face masks and new ventilation standards, among other measures."

I believe that daily infection rates in the West of the country are falling as they rise in the East. Presumably the virus is starting to run out of easy victims in the West. The government talk of tackling the backlog of patients in the NHS waiting lists. With Covid patients hospitalised doubling weekly good luck with that. If all the other areas are to have regulations removed then there will likely be a greater increase beyond that. How people deal with that (on a personal level) is their choice. Mask wearing in public areas inside buildings is, for me, a totally different issue.

Each business premise needs to undertake its own risk assessment whether serving the public face to face or not. Would I choose to visit a pub restaurant that removed all its current mitigation measure. For me the answer to that is a resounding "No". This is at a time when the Delta virus appears to need far less contact time to transmit a load such as to infect.

In offices the management, who have a duty of care to its employees, can do its own assessment and undertake mitigation measures accordingly. The government know full well that even with the mask policy in place there will be additional rises due to the removal of other restrictions. To probably add to it further seems ludicrous. All situations that I deal with I can either mitigate or totally avoid except buying food. If the management of supermarkets are to remove the need for masks I suspect that the screens at checkouts will remain.

The daily rates of vaccination have been no more than half of what they were and have been low for best part of a month.

Remains to be seen what the Welsh Government will decide on 15th July

Sorry for the long reply

Fisherman replied on 05/07/2021 09:19

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:19

Govt boxed themselves in led by Bojo before taking a full assessment. Lets hope the sacrifices made have not been in vain.

JVB66 replied on 05/07/2021 09:29

Posted on 05/07/2021 08:15 by

I consider this issue poorly dealt with and agree with the statement from BMA "The BMA said that the number of people admitted to hospitals in England with Covid-19 had risen by 55% in a week.

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, BMA council chairman, called the jump in cases alarming - fuelled by the spread of the Delta variant and increased social mixing.

"It makes no sense to remove restrictions in their entirety in just over two weeks' time," Dr Nagpaul said.

The BMA called for the continued use of face masks and new ventilation standards, among other measures."

I believe that daily infection rates in the West of the country are falling as they rise in the East. Presumably the virus is starting to run out of easy victims in the West. The government talk of tackling the backlog of patients in the NHS waiting lists. With Covid patients hospitalised doubling weekly good luck with that. If all the other areas are to have regulations removed then there will likely be a greater increase beyond that. How people deal with that (on a personal level) is their choice. Mask wearing in public areas inside buildings is, for me, a totally different issue.

Each business premise needs to undertake its own risk assessment whether serving the public face to face or not. Would I choose to visit a pub restaurant that removed all its current mitigation measure. For me the answer to that is a resounding "No". This is at a time when the Delta virus appears to need far less contact time to transmit a load such as to infect.

In offices the management, who have a duty of care to its employees, can do its own assessment and undertake mitigation measures accordingly. The government know full well that even with the mask policy in place there will be additional rises due to the removal of other restrictions. To probably add to it further seems ludicrous. All situations that I deal with I can either mitigate or totally avoid except buying food. If the management of supermarkets are to remove the need for masks I suspect that the screens at checkouts will remain.

The daily rates of vaccination have been no more than half of what they were and have been low for best part of a month.

Remains to be seen what the Welsh Government will decide on 15th July

Sorry for the long reply

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:29

I think the reason vaccination rates have been lower  is not that the facilities are not available  but the population who are/were willing to be inoculated have now almost been exhausted and it is those who seem to think as many things these days dsoe not need to apply to them undecided

replied on 05/07/2021 09:46

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:29 by JVB66

I think the reason vaccination rates have been lower  is not that the facilities are not available  but the population who are/were willing to be inoculated have now almost been exhausted and it is those who seem to think as many things these days dsoe not need to apply to them undecided

Posted on 05/07/2021 09:46

The rate dropped to around its present level a while after India supply of AZ stopped as they needed it themselves. Th UK government said that they were expecting supplies in a month or so. The rates never increased. I have seen a similar drop off in other European countries with no shortage of arms available. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook