Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

SeasideBill replied on 28/06/2021 20:33

Posted on 28/06/2021 18:22 by Rufs

But only 3 deaths, we have to find a way to move on , experiment, if ok accept it, if not close it down, as deaths and hospitalisations are low, we do have some slack to play with.undecided

Posted on 28/06/2021 20:33

Agree, this pandemic needs a different mindset now. Back in the early days when a significant % of those contracting Covid died, it was absolutely the right thing to avoid infection and transmission. Now the mortality rate is tiny in comparison. Yes, you might still be at risk of catching it, but chances are you will not be hospitalised, let alone die. I think it’s in the same territory as seasonal flu now. You could choose to lock yourself away every winter to avoid it, but few do as we don’t fear it in the way we do with Covid.

brue replied on 28/06/2021 20:52

Posted on 28/06/2021 20:52

This is interesting, a BBC LINK to the vaccination status of countries worldwide. Surprising to see how far behind Australia and NZ are, you can put any country into the search box for a result.

Fisherman replied on 28/06/2021 20:59

Posted on 28/06/2021 20:59

The next two weeks will be crucial with a number of high number spectators at events. With the large daily rise we wait with bated breath. Boris will find it difficult not to relax things at review. Boxed himself into a corner.

redface replied on 28/06/2021 21:06

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:06

I think it’s in the same territory as seasonal flu now. You could choose to lock yourself away every winter to avoid it, but few do as we don’t fear it in the way we do with Covid..

Rather puzzled by the reference to Covid being as benign as flu.

I would rather avoid it, if at all possible, than spend time in hospital being an unnecessary pain to the NHS.

Indeed i would suspect that it would be a considerable inconvenience to myself. I would rather err on the side of caution.

LLM replied on 28/06/2021 21:10

Posted on 28/06/2021 20:59 by Fisherman

The next two weeks will be crucial with a number of high number spectators at events. With the large daily rise we wait with bated breath. Boris will find it difficult not to relax things at review. Boxed himself into a corner.

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:10

So far there have been a number of experimental high attendance event from which very few cases were later confirmed.  Certainly not enough to be of any concern and no serious illness or death.  

Cornersteady replied on 28/06/2021 21:19

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:19

Mrs C has received five emails just tonight to say they are self isolating from tomorrow, she says it is getting to critical point. Three schools are shut in Newcastle. 

DavidKlyne replied on 28/06/2021 21:27

Posted on 28/06/2021 20:52 by brue

This is interesting, a BBC LINK to the vaccination status of countries worldwide. Surprising to see how far behind Australia and NZ are, you can put any country into the search box for a result.

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:27

Brue

I think there were a handful of countries that did really well initially and they were able to close it down by measures such as shutting borders. The problem is that as the mutations have become more transmissible they appear to be caught on the hop. 

David

allanandjean replied on 28/06/2021 21:30

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:06 by redface

I think it’s in the same territory as seasonal flu now. You could choose to lock yourself away every winter to avoid it, but few do as we don’t fear it in the way we do with Covid..

I would rather avoid it, if at all possible, than spend time in hospital being an unnecessary pain to the NHS.

Indeed i would suspect that it would be a considerable inconvenience to myself. I would rather err on the side of caution.

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:30

I read the post from SB as saying that with the reduction in hospitalisations and deaths we are nowhere near the state that caused the, justified, concern and restrictions.

My question would be what, aside from the control you have over where you go, who you mix with and what precautions you take do you consider as being to “err on the side of caution “?

If it’s staying at home then statistically one is more at risk of accidents according to ROSPA.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/06/2021 21:35

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:06 by redface

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:35

It would seem that Government policy now is Herd immunity, or at least they feel they can risk opening up because the consequences are likely to be no worse than Flu? One should of course remember that  in some circumstances Flu can also be a killer!!! The major difference seems to be that Flu tends only to thrive in winter conditions whereas Covid seems to be all seasons?

David

brue replied on 28/06/2021 21:35

Posted on 28/06/2021 21:35

I think the idea is to get as many vaccinated as possible with the two doses and hopefully this will lock out the possibility of serious mutations getting a grip. So far we haven't quite got to the level we need but by the time 18 year olds get the second dose hopefully we'll be nearer the goal?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook