Why no site shop ?

rayjsj replied on 12/07/2023 09:29

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:29

Stayed on two Cmc sites so far this Season, Lady Margrets Park in Chirk and New England Bay in Dumfries and Galloway   neither stocked  essentials any longer ?? Why is that ?   IE.  MILK, BREAD, EGGS,  coffee, tea, Ice Creams  etc.,   now in Chirks case shops are just about a Mile away,  a nuisance but 'do able'  at a push provided you are not disabled.  HOWEVER   at New England Bay  the nearest shop is in Drummore more than 5 miles away  really too far  and NO  public transport. 

Why are Wardens not bothering with selling essentials any more ?  It was scorching for 3 weeks at New England Bay lots of children all wanting ice creams ?? Let alone us Adults !  And you couldnt order newspapers for the following day  by paying in advance 

Seems you dont realise what a treasure you have until you lose it.   That was the PREVIOUS  wardens at New England Bay     OH Yes    AND  they closed  half of the toilet facilities half way through our stay, not for repairs but to save money...we were told.

Chirk has a 'new' toilet block but have closed off the large Rallyfield/ dog excercise area. Is this a 'New Breed'  of Site Wardens  who are NOT customer oriented ?   Viewpoints please !

Moderator Edit:

As we already have a thread running on site shops, I'll lock this one and invite any further discussion on the original thread.

Baileyperson replied on 12/07/2023 09:42

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:42

I found this in the last couple of days. Having checked in we said we would be back shortly for an ice cream. We were then told,  no shop any more.

Apparently this is in readiness for the site going 'self service'

No warden, book and pay in advance, self check in, we were told. 

Tinwheeler replied on 12/07/2023 09:42

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:42

Viewpoints -

The shop issue has been discussed at length and the situation regarding H&S and liability explained by a site warden. It’s no more than that.

I don’t imagine for one moment that site facilities are being closed by wardens without them being told to do so. This is really a question you need to address to CAMC Sites Dept.

Cornersteady replied on 12/07/2023 09:59

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:59

It's the wardens' choice to run a shop or not and also, perhaps more importantly,  it's their money that is used to set it up and their own time to keep it stocked.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/07/2023 10:07

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:07

As JK will no doubt remind us the provision of a site shop is entirely down to the site staff being willing to finance the purchase of stock and make provision to keep food stuffs chilled or frozen and also willing to spend their own time administering the running of the shop. It was mentioned a while ago that New England Bay has fairly low occupancy for much of the time it is open so hardly fertile basis on which to run a shop? Some sites do have shops. 

David

brue replied on 12/07/2023 10:10

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:10

Maybe the C&CC approach will prove to be more customer friendly. They are going to supply sites from stock with the same basics eg tea, coffee, loo rolls etc so that customers will find the same things available at most sites.

Much depends on different approaches to customer service. smile

Wash facilities are a separate issue but it would be good to let customers/members know beforehand.

young thomas replied on 12/07/2023 10:16

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:16

Ray, just the changing face of CAMC.....a couple of threads re shops and the changes..

Things 'Club' are different now.....new booking system, new deposits, new harsher T/C with regard to cancelling or amending dates of your trips...

Goldie146 replied on 12/07/2023 10:37

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:29 by rayjsj

Stayed on two Cmc sites so far this Season, Lady Margrets Park in Chirk and New England Bay in Dumfries and Galloway   neither stocked  essentials any longer ?? Why is that ?   IE.  MILK, BREAD, EGGS,  coffee, tea, Ice Creams  etc.,   now in Chirks case shops are just about a Mile away,  a nuisance but 'do able'  at a push provided you are not disabled.  HOWEVER   at New England Bay  the nearest shop is in Drummore more than 5 miles away  really too far  and NO  public transport. 

Why are Wardens not bothering with selling essentials any more ?  It was scorching for 3 weeks at New England Bay lots of children all wanting ice creams ?? Let alone us Adults !  And you couldnt order newspapers for the following day  by paying in advance 

Seems you dont realise what a treasure you have until you lose it.   That was the PREVIOUS  wardens at New England Bay     OH Yes    AND  they closed  half of the toilet facilities half way through our stay, not for repairs but to save money...we were told.

Chirk has a 'new' toilet block but have closed off the large Rallyfield/ dog excercise area. Is this a 'New Breed'  of Site Wardens  who are NOT customer oriented ?   Viewpoints please !

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:37

We've recently come back from New England Bay and didn't find the lack of shop a problem - but we have a caravan and car. Even so, we plan what food to take and when and where we might need to replenish. So, one trip to Drummore (4 miles) to a very well stocked shop, and then we called into the shop at Sandhead (5 miles away) on the way back from a day out.

The shop issue has been well discussed, so it was no surprise. If I had been a bit more organised we wouldn't have had to shop at all.

replied on 12/07/2023 10:59

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

rayjsj replied on 12/07/2023 11:09

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:42 by Tinwheeler

Viewpoints -

The shop issue has been discussed at length and the situation regarding H&S and liability explained by a site warden. It’s no more than that.

I don’t imagine for one moment that site facilities are being closed by wardens without them being told to do so. This is really a question you need to address to CAMC Sites Dept.

Posted on 12/07/2023 11:09

I have not seen 'extensive discscussion'   where?

And How is H&S laws changed so much ?

How come some sites still have very good site shops ?....

Borrowdale for instance ?

Cornersteady replied on 12/07/2023 11:11

Posted on 12/07/2023 10:59 by

I have to admit the lack of a bottle of milk or a newspaper would be a minor inconvenience to us as  rare site users but the lack of caravanning accessories would be a different matter. In the days before I discovered (on here) that toilet fluids were  a poor substitute for Bio laundry capsules we left home for an extended trip and forgot to take the 4l I had bought to cover. Thinking our first stop in France (we were sailing next day)  was to be searching for a Caravan accessories shop I was more than pleased to find the camp shop at Morn Hill selling it.

Posted on 12/07/2023 11:11

If I recall correctly a certain number of things like toilet fluids and other caravan/MH essentials will still be sold so no need to worry David.

These are bought by the club for the site to sell on and that's why when one pays for an ice cream and toilet fluid (an odd choice I know) the money for them goes into different tills, or cash boxes. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook