Unconfirmed all sites arrival times to be 1300 hrs

JillwithaJay replied on 23/03/2022 19:24

Posted on 23/03/2022 19:24

Not yet confirmed but I'm reading that, with effect from 10th March, arrival time on all sites changed to 1300 hrs.  It's not yet on the website but it seems 'site staff are being lenient' to anybody arriving before 1300 hrs'.

If nobody tells me differently, then I arrive as per my booking form and the information currently on the website. 

replied on 27/03/2022 11:55

Posted on 27/03/2022 10:46 by mickysf

The single biggest issue with uniformity for the club is that it is not a single site but a collective of many individual sites each having its own set of specific challenges and constraints. Whatever is suggested for all regarding arrival/departure times, cleaning régimes, lunch breaks etc some staff will always be forced to meet this with leniency if it clearly doesn’t work for that setting. You just need to check the specifics of your booked site prior to visiting.

Some have advocated staffing levels is the main issue. Well some of the sites are so remote they have very little chance at all of finding workers willing to do a couple of hrs a day and possibly having to travel nearly as much time to and from that work. 

Posted on 27/03/2022 11:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

mickysf replied on 27/03/2022 12:05

Posted on 27/03/2022 11:55 by

Micky there may be some sites too remote to obtain part time staff but I would think the vast majority  could get reception or cleaning  staff if there was any desire on the part of the club to do it. It comes back to cost and so long as the club can sell basic pitches for premium prices nothing will change.

Posted on 27/03/2022 12:05

Our hotels, cafes, B&Bs etc. around us are really struggling for staff at the present. Many are now opening for only a few days a week. A lot of the leisure industry workers toddled off a couple of years back following Brexit. Covid hasn’t helped either. 
Why do you think CaMC is any different in finding casual workers?

replied on 27/03/2022 12:37

Posted on 27/03/2022 12:05 by mickysf

Our hotels, cafes, B&Bs etc. around us are really struggling for staff at the present. Many are now opening for only a few days a week. A lot of the leisure industry workers toddled off a couple of years back following Brexit. Covid hasn’t helped either. 

Posted on 27/03/2022 12:37

mickysf replied on 27/03/2022 13:02

Posted on 27/03/2022 12:37 by

Have they ever tried?

Posted on 27/03/2022 13:02

Yes they have, I understand so and they have and are presently failing to recruit such staff in several areas.

replied on 27/03/2022 13:28

Posted on 27/03/2022 13:02 by mickysf

Yes they have, I understand so and they have and are presently failing to recruit such staff in several areas.

Posted on 27/03/2022 13:28

mickysf replied on 27/03/2022 13:36

Posted on 27/03/2022 13:36

Part time staff covering a whole range of duties, David. Some recruited but didn’t last long I’m reliably informed. All this having an impact on existing staff who then have to fill in or cover.

Cornersteady replied on 27/03/2022 14:02

Posted on 27/03/2022 14:02

Very true, almost every few yards in all the tourist towns in the lakes now have signs saying we're hiring.

In fact sitting outside at Bryson's and there's no hot food due to staff shortages. Doesn't bother me I'm having a cream cake.

JVB66 replied on 27/03/2022 15:07

Posted on 27/03/2022 11:01 by Navigateur

If this really was a Club then it would be straight forward for the members to physically contribute to the upkeep and maintainence of the site at which they were staying.  Perhaps it might even be the norm.

Posted on 27/03/2022 15:07

As have mentioned before ,when OH was able to use the general facilties  she was having a shower one day ,a woman and her daughter were using the next two showers when ,the daughter fined first and said to her mother "mummy do I use the mop to clean the floor?" The answer "no darling there are people to do that"

There are a team of volunteers who after training can do some of the work on sites

moulesy replied on 27/03/2022 15:28

Posted on 27/03/2022 15:28

That is a very good point. Several (possibly most) of the hotels in Cornwall, including the, usually packed, Headland Hotel in Newquay, have had to keep rooms out of use because they can't get sufficient staff to service them (quite apart from waiting on guests and general bar work.) Doubtless much of that is the Brexit effect (and maybe home workers hanging in for those "highly trained,  well paid jobs" they were promised at the time.)

One can only imagine the reaction if the club announced they were taking, say 25%, of pitches out of use because of staff shortages! undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook