Snow - Loss of deposit

geraintll replied on 12/12/2022 15:32

Posted on 12/12/2022 15:32

Afternoon, i am trying to find out the policy now with the new booking system, if we book a site during december and pay the deposit what happens if it snows and we are unable to travel does that mean we would loose our deposit? as it would be less than 21 days. 

Tinwheeler replied on 12/12/2022 15:48

Posted on 12/12/2022 15:48

This is the nearest I can find to your question in FAQs. I suggest you ask the club direct for a definitive answer. One would hope they take a stance which does not encourage people to drive in unsafe conditions.

peedee replied on 12/12/2022 15:51

Posted on 12/12/2022 15:51

My view is if winter touring bothers you don't book. At least if you get stuck you have a nice cosy residence with you and all it amounts to is you will be a little late. smile

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 12/12/2022 16:02

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:02

Given the system is so new and this is the first winter since new rules came into place it's only the Club that can answer your question. One would hope the Club would look at such things sympathetically as they also have a duty of care towards its members. Unless there is an almost national closedown due to weather it's difficult for them to know how bad conditions are in your area. It could also be complicated by other members turning up at the site you booked. As I mentioned elsewhere I cancelled our trip to Chatsworth which we were due to set off to today. Fortunately I was under the old system so did not lose any money and I did it a week ago because I was following the likely weather patterns. Even if I had paid a deposit I still don't think I would have set off today as there were too many uncertainties. Just make your case to the Club. Be interesting if you reported back on the outcome.

David

mickysf replied on 12/12/2022 16:06

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:06

I guess the definitive definition of exception circumstances would help, not that it could ever be provided. Often wondered if that advice from The Met. Office, a Government organisation, against travel would constitute exceptional circumstances. Probably the best we can do is have travel insurance.

Goldie146 replied on 12/12/2022 16:24

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:24

If you’re only going to lose a deposit by cancelling because of snow, surely that’s better than travelling in dangerous conditions, whatever the Club policy re refunds. But don’t don’t be a “no show”, otherwise you will be charged the full amount of the booked stay. 

Cornersteady replied on 12/12/2022 16:48

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:48

I think we club site users have been just been used to a 'no-loss' booking system so it's bit of a shock but people have been winter touring using sites requiring a deposit for a long time and they seem to manage it. In fact it is still in our favour as it's full payment on the day unlike some other providers?

Personally I now don't do long stays during the winter perhaps a long weekend or days in-between them but if I thought my safety was in any way at risk then I just wouldn't go and forgo the deposit, for longer stays, if I were to do so, then we have cancellation insurance but of course we would still lose the excess. 

mickysf replied on 12/12/2022 16:51

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:51

It always grated on me when I had a staff of 20+ ringing me up at work, me having travelled in, asking if they should make the journey. It was always the same a few just wanted me to make a decision they themselves should me making. The worlds gone mad what with some unable to take responsibility for their own actions. Just to be clear, there were the very odd occasions when I put the message out not to travel in but these were truly exceptional and dangerous!

JVB66 replied on 12/12/2022 17:17

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:51 by mickysf

It always grated on me when I had a staff of 20+ ringing me up at work, me having travelled in, asking if they should make the journey. It was always the same a few just wanted me to make a decision they themselves should me making. The worlds gone mad what with some unable to take responsibility for their own actions. Just to be clear, there were the very odd occasions when I put the message out not to travel in but these were truly exceptional and dangerous!

Posted on 12/12/2022 17:17

The latest headmistress of our local primary school ,seems to close the school for any excuse she can?she lives I understand about 20miles away

Wheras the previous headmaster who retired was of the "old school" and it was very rare he closed the school he lived up in the hills in a village 

Takethedogalong replied on 12/12/2022 17:38

Posted on 12/12/2022 17:38

Work and schooling are a bit different nowadays, lots of folks do quite a long commute compared with how close they used to be to work and school. I often used to transport staff home from work on bad days. I was fortunate never to work more than four miles from home, so could walk in on really bad days. That said, mine wasn’t a critical industry anyway. 

Cornersteady replied on 12/12/2022 17:44

Posted on 12/12/2022 17:17 by JVB66

The latest headmistress of our local primary school ,seems to close the school for any excuse she can?she lives I understand about 20miles away

Wheras the previous headmaster who retired was of the "old school" and it was very rare he closed the school he lived up in the hills in a village 

Posted on 12/12/2022 17:44

Going off topic here but each and every school closure has to be well documented and under specific reasons and approved by the chair of governors.

Nothing to do with the distance the staff live from the school or indeed the children, it's the duty of care to them on site that matters. If the car park and school ground are too dangerous then that is it. Not worth a broken leg or worse. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook