New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

JollyKernow replied on 20/01/2022 09:33

Posted on 19/01/2022 19:42 by young thomas

"That's just me and we are all different; so the phrase "working through the route since what I book at one site influences what I need from the following one(s)" is not even one I can interpret. Such a way of going about things is not part of my DNA!"

Yes, we are all different...as AD mentions, EasyT 'always' books 5 nights at every site...when we visit places it may not hold our interest for that long and we would want to be moving on...then the next place turns out to be far more engaging and we could spend a good deal of time there exploring..

agreed, no one size fits all but, for us (especially overseas) the huge advantage of a MH is the ability to move on when we want to, not when the booking says we do.

Posted on 20/01/2022 09:33

Morning

Just out of interest BB and 'cause I get bored not being in the sun!! I've been going through some of last seasons figures for my site. We were full from Whitsun bank holiday to the 2nd week of September. The majority stay was 14 & 21 nights during that period. 65% of the 14 day stays were motorhomes and 40% of 21 dayers were also motorhomes. So, although many tour as you do, there is a huge chunk who stay put.

There indeed many people like EasyT who book up tours a year ahead, and many are motorhomers who "caravan" in their vans. 

JK

peedee replied on 20/01/2022 10:15

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:15

Surely that wasn't a non facility site JK? I have never stayed more than 7 nights on any site in the UK with a motorhome and I am struggling to think of one I have used more than that when I had a caravan! In my 30 plus years of touring, most if not all my long stays have been "over there".

peedee

JVB66 replied on 20/01/2022 10:29

Posted on 19/01/2022 19:42 by young thomas

"That's just me and we are all different; so the phrase "working through the route since what I book at one site influences what I need from the following one(s)" is not even one I can interpret. Such a way of going about things is not part of my DNA!"

Yes, we are all different...as AD mentions, EasyT 'always' books 5 nights at every site...when we visit places it may not hold our interest for that long and we would want to be moving on...then the next place turns out to be far more engaging and we could spend a good deal of time there exploring..

agreed, no one size fits all but, for us (especially overseas) the huge advantage of a MH is the ability to move on when we want to, not when the booking says we do.

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:29

In the UK there is not that amount of flexibility especially in peak periods (possibly overseas at peak times also)but it seems the majority who post about the type of touring you do is normally it seems , off peak 

JollyKernow replied on 20/01/2022 10:54

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:15 by peedee

Surely that wasn't a non facility site JK? I have never stayed more than 7 nights on any site in the UK with a motorhome and I am struggling to think of one I have used more than that when I had a caravan! In my 30 plus years of touring, most if not all my long stays have been "over there".

peedee

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:54

Just highlighting peedee that we all are and use our leisure vehicles differently. And yes that's on a non facility site which are more popular than ever before.

21 night stays are more common than you think!

JK

young thomas replied on 20/01/2022 11:30

Posted on 20/01/2022 09:33 by JollyKernow

Morning

Just out of interest BB and 'cause I get bored not being in the sun!! I've been going through some of last seasons figures for my site. We were full from Whitsun bank holiday to the 2nd week of September. The majority stay was 14 & 21 nights during that period. 65% of the 14 day stays were motorhomes and 40% of 21 dayers were also motorhomes. So, although many tour as you do, there is a huge chunk who stay put.

There indeed many people like EasyT who book up tours a year ahead, and many are motorhomers who "caravan" in their vans. 

JK

Posted on 20/01/2022 11:30

Morning to you JK, I'm also bored......waiting for my ferry😉

my point about having a MH was that it supports 'our' touring style better.

any member staying 'religiously' 14 or 21 nights can do it just as easily in a MH or a caravan.

when you turn the thing around, and look at folk who wish to (say) 'move along a coastline' as we did on our return from Portugal a few years back, dropping into an Algarve fishing village for a day's explore, dinner and a single overnighter (to be repeated several times along the way) works best for us in a MH - especially when you don't need to call on a site for the stopover.

my point was that, the fishing village might be dead boring and off we go the following morning, or it might have a wealth of personality, a few good restaurants and a cracking beach.

once we've found this out we can decide how long we wish to stay.

if we had to decide months ahead which of those places we had to stay at and for how long, we'd have found another way to do things.

the van supports what we do, not the other way round.

when we do return from Spain, we have a 4 week summer 'tour' (not all CC) to coincide with a concert we are attending, so dates are more fixed around that...the sites before it and after it...but, even in the uk, this is not something we specifically like to do, preferring to look around a week or two before each 'off' to decide where to go, weather dependant, of course.

I can see how bringing a wholely CAMC tour together on the booking system might be made an easier process, but it's not one we will be likely to use as we generally have other providers (THS sites) scattered in between, some of these with unknown durations.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/01/2022 11:44

Posted on 20/01/2022 11:26 by Navigateur

I would be very interested, JK, in how often the "residents'" motor caravans are taken off-site, as compared to the tow cars.

Posted on 20/01/2022 11:44

In the area of JK's site it would be a very brave person who took a MH bigger than a small camper off site, other than on the odd occasion. That could explain MHs having longer stays and not moving much in several parts of the Westcountry.

SteveL replied on 20/01/2022 11:52

Posted on 20/01/2022 11:52

Unless folk with MH’s routinely erect large awnings for short stays, there are quite a few all over the country stopping for longer. Particularly noticable since the first lockdown ended. I can’t recall seeing as many previously.

KjellNN replied on 20/01/2022 12:06

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:29 by JVB66

In the UK there is not that amount of flexibility especially in peak periods (possibly overseas at peak times also)but it seems the majority who post about the type of touring you do is normally it seems , off peak 

Posted on 20/01/2022 12:06

It would be easy even in peak period abroad with a MH.......plenty of aires or similar around.   More difficult with a caravan, though we have travelled in Norway and Sweden in June/July/August without booking and without  problems.

peedee replied on 20/01/2022 12:09

Posted on 20/01/2022 11:44 by Tinwheeler

In the area of JK's site it would be a very brave person who took a MH bigger than a small camper off site, other than on the odd occasion. That could explain MHs having longer stays and not moving much in several parts of the Westcountry.

Posted on 20/01/2022 12:09

I'd agree but you would be a bit stuck otherwise unless you had a toad. I don't recall public transport being that accessible. Nice site otherwise.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook