New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

young thomas replied on 10/01/2022 09:47

Posted on 10/01/2022 09:47

Due to Covid, we have had to move our annual winter Spain trip back to Jan '23, from an already moved Jan '22....(although we will go this spring if the situation improves)...

the site required a deposit to hold a 'top' pitch but, the change required just a simple rolling on of the deposit...twice now...no problem.

if changes have to be made with Club bookings, surely a move to another date (or site) will be as equally straightforward?, even if inside the 21 day period?

...or is this a 'cancellation' and will result in loss of deposit?

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2022 10:06

Posted on 09/01/2022 23:50 by DavidKlyne

I suspect most large organisations tend to defend the status quo until they are at the point of changing it and that is what seems to have happened with this change. Had they year after year, as many requested, published cancellation figures that showed up the shortcomings of the current system they would have been criticised for not doing something about it. Hence, probably, the radio silence on the subject until they reached the point where they were ready to tell us about the new system. The irony is that the new system will impact to a greater extent on those that use Club sites the most. Those people tend to be older and more prone to have to change plans because of medical issues and we have yet to know how such emergencies will be sympathetically looked at if bookings have to be cancelled late on. Perhaps there is no justification for that sympathy but if its not built in I fear a lot of loyalty will be lost.

David

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:06

You seem to have realised just what an impact on what, many have posted on here in the past,   as to what they see as the demographics of this club 

The past year has had quite an affect on how we now have to look at when and how we will tour in the future as I would think the same as others, reading some posts on CT and other forums 

The USP of this club was a big incentive for us especially in the last year and still for us hopefully this year in that the bookings have been made into the future, to secure pitches ,without the added stress ,of as we found last year,  of not being able to amend without difficulty our previous bookings,

If the club can guarantee that if the same situations arise for those of the membership ,(,it seems that we are amongst quite a few in the same situation ,) That short turn cancellations and amendments will be enabled as in the present system,,

or will we need an exemption cert for it to be accepted,

brue replied on 10/01/2022 10:09

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:09

We will be presented with lengthy new t&cs regarding bookings. I hope the club presents these clearly in advance of the new system so that people understand what's involved and can start to process the changes involved. I've been looking at the booking terms with the other club, their cancellation limits are 31 days. There are all sorts of variations on a theme!  To see what the club is planning I have to keep referring to the OPs link I hope CAMC produces a clear statement of intent, there is a point when FAQs and "exciting news" just become a jumble of words.

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2022 10:13

Posted on 10/01/2022 09:07 by brue

People forget that the club is run on behalf of the membership and the membership is represented throughout. It might have been more democratic if a greater variety of statistics had been published more frequently this would have reduced speculation by interested parties. But on some occasions details need to remain private to prevent business advantages being taken up by similar organisations. However decisions have now been made on behalf of the membership to make the booking system more accountable in several ways eg preventing speculative bookings and cancellations, providing pitch choice, securing income and lessening financial losses.

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:13

I think it would be more accurate. if your post said" on the behalf of the vocal minority of the club"surprisedundecided

replied on 10/01/2022 10:21

Posted on 10/01/2022 09:47 by young thomas

Due to Covid, we have had to move our annual winter Spain trip back to Jan '23, from an already moved Jan '22....(although we will go this spring if the situation improves)...

the site required a deposit to hold a 'top' pitch but, the change required just a simple rolling on of the deposit...twice now...no problem.

if changes have to be made with Club bookings, surely a move to another date (or site) will be as equally straightforward?, even if inside the 21 day period?

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:21

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 10/01/2022 10:33

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:06 by JVB66

You seem to have realised just what an impact on what, many have posted on here in the past,   as to what they see as the demographics of this club 

The past year has had quite an affect on how we now have to look at when and how we will tour in the future as I would think the same as others, reading some posts on CT and other forums 

The USP of this club was a big incentive for us especially in the last year and still for us hopefully this year in that the bookings have been made into the future, to secure pitches ,without the added stress ,of as we found last year,  of not being able to amend without difficulty our previous bookings,

If the club can guarantee that if the same situations arise for those of the membership ,(,it seems that we are amongst quite a few in the same situation ,) That short turn cancellations and amendments will be enabled as in the present system,,

or will we need an exemption cert for it to be accepted,

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:33

It is not for the Club to take account of each individual's circumstances. It down to each indvidual to make a risk analaysis and decide what approach to take to getting away. This may be accepting they may lose their deposit or they may decide holiday insurance is necessary in some form. Worst case scenario might be the best decision is to look at what alternatives are available or even not to go away at all and settle for tending the garden and watching TV.

peedee

brue replied on 10/01/2022 10:41

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:13 by JVB66

I think it would be more accurate. if your post said" on the behalf of the vocal minority of the club"surprisedundecided

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:41

No it wouldn't JVB and I don't know who the mystery vocal minority are. A no deposit system has never made sense to me from a financial viewpoint but like many I've not complained and enjoyed the benefits! We've all had a good long free run on this one.

As regards your post about older people losing out I think the majority who will lose out are the genuine weekend bookers, people who are working and like to get away for a short break. These breaks will need a lot of deposits if they are to be secured over a year in advance and some of the deposits will probably not be reclaimable.

SteveL replied on 10/01/2022 10:43

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:43

I would think wether deposits will have any affect on speculative weekend bookings, will depend on the number of individual bookings involved. Personally I can’t see many making multiple ( as in 10’s) bookings at £25 a time if they have very little intention of taking them up. However, if most of the late cancellations are a result of folk with just two or three weekend bookings, I can’t see it making any difference whatsoever.
We no longer do just weekends but string together multiple bookings into a tour. Currently we have around 18 with the CAMC. Our policy of booking well in advance won’t change as a result of deposits. Although the proportion of CAMC sites to C&CC sites is likely to be more even. This year the majority of our bookings are with this club.

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2022 10:45

Posted on 10/01/2022 09:47 by young thomas

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:45

If as JK states a call to the sites concerned ,will be the easiest way to make amendments ,it will need the telephone to be answered, not as now,  a long winded message then  to leave your number for ,the site staff to call back,undecided

If it is as last year ,the pitches needed will no longer be available especially as sites are no longer it seems allowed to keep their "offset" pitches in case of problems ?

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2022 10:49

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:33 by peedee

It is not for the Club to take account of each individual's circumstances. It down to each indvidual to make a risk analaysis and decide what approach to take to getting away. This may be accepting they may lose their deposit or they may decide holiday insurance is necessary in some form. Worst case scenario might be the best decision is to look at what alternatives are available or even not to go away at all and settle for tending the garden and watching TV.

peedee

Posted on 10/01/2022 10:49

Thankyou on the behalf of those of the membership who will be in the situation you are so easily dismissive ofyell

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook