New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

peedee replied on 18/12/2022 08:02

Posted on 17/12/2022 19:45 by Tammygirl

Nellie check my earlier post, works fine for me on my Kindle Fire. 

Posted on 18/12/2022 08:02

You could have different models of Kindle Fire? Kindle tablets are built specifically to access Amazon products and run an Amazon operating system albeit based on Android. In my view this is not ideal for accessing the wider products available where a more universal operating system like those of Google and Apple is desirable and where updates to operating systems are matched by supplier updates in applications. It is less likely the more obscure operating systems and browsers designed specifically to access Amazon products will be kept in step with main stream products which can lead to all sorts of difficulties.

peedee

SteveL replied on 18/12/2022 09:56

Posted on 17/12/2022 21:50 by nelliethehooker

No problen, David, I didn't explain fully.

However other systems that are much older and have been much better updated  than the new CC system work fine on not only my current Tablet but also on my very old kindle. It is the incompetence of those that have devised the new  booking system that should be taking responsibility for its very poor performance for many members devices, regardless of how old they are, within reason.

Posted on 18/12/2022 09:56

Even if your device is compatible operating system wise with the new booking system, the resources of the device may be lacking. The CC have designed a product that is very memory and processor hungry. This can be seen by the improvement in map scrolling simply by clearing your browser cache. On our iMac with a huge system memory and fast processor everything is very fluid, even with several other things loaded. On the iPad less so if other Apps are running. The amount of data it is pulling in also means it needs a better than CC site WiFi speed. 

I don’t really have a problem with them releasing something that requires a more advanced device. That’s just the way things are going. My old iPad still works fine, it just won’t run 50% of what I want to use it for, including the new booking system. It’s processor is too slow and system memory inadequate. However, designing something that won’t run on your own site WiFi system does seem perverse.

JVB66 replied on 18/12/2022 10:03

Posted on 17/12/2022 21:00 by KjellNN

Oh yes, forgot about the extra 25p per week.......not sure what to spend it on!

Yes, got our £10 each the other week.  Will pay for food for a few days.

So glad that we are not depending only on the State Pension.

OH has no other pension as she was not well enough to work, so has only 60% of my basic, which is only an 87% pension due to not being in UK and paying into UK  scheme for sufficient years.

I have 37 years contributions, these days that would have been plenty for a full pension.   The 2 different pension schemes seem unfair.

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:03

My OH is not eligible for the full state pension

When speaking to others on this site (Neary empty FM)it seems as I have found it it is not necessarily the the age  of the equipment,you use for this clubs booking system? It seems when combined with a slower Internet is where the problems arise

As it is only this clubs booking website that seems to be giving so much difficulties as we have fond other websites work alright as does the ccc booking system

peedee replied on 18/12/2022 10:15

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:15

The type of browser you are using can also have an impact. Some browsers work much quicker than others. Chrome is one of the slowest of the lot Opera one of the quickest but it does depend on what machine you are using. The rest are somewhere inbetween.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 18/12/2022 10:20

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:15 by peedee

The type of browser you are using can also have an impact. Some browsers work much quicker than others. Chrome is one of the slowest of the lot Opera one of the quickest. The rest are somewhere inbetween.

peedee

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:20

So it was not testest properly undecided

Another xxxkup by this clubyell

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 18/12/2022 10:44

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:15 by peedee

The type of browser you are using can also have an impact. Some browsers work much quicker than others. Chrome is one of the slowest of the lot Opera one of the quickest but it does depend on what machine you are using. The rest are somewhere inbetween.

peedee

Posted on 18/12/2022 10:44

DuckDuckGo for the privacy oriented👍🏻

Lyke Wake Man replied on 18/12/2022 11:25

Posted on 17/12/2022 17:45 by Cornersteady

But where does the club draw the line regarding old technology?

There has to be a cut off sometime? Five years? six? ten? Software is 'evolving' all the time and needs better hardware. My first windows computer wouldn't run some or even any of the stuff I have now.

Why would you want to replace them? Well if you want to use the club's software but as you say you don't use club sites what does it matter? But the club isn't expecting you or anyone to have anything it's just if you ant to use their services. Up to you.

Are you saying your main computer or laptop won't run the CAMC website? If it does use that? I can see if one is the type of tourer that is on the move all the time or doesn't like to plan but I get the impression you plan everything at home?

Your increase in the state pension is just irrelevant really as the club can't plan for you or anyone's else increase. So you're other pensions aren't going up btw?

Posted on 18/12/2022 11:25

you sound like you have plenty of money, working where you can afford to upgrade your devices every year, when you are on a pension you have to make things last.

the club has designed the website with the latest devices in mind, you suggest that us with older devices should upgrade them.

with other company's their websites will work O.K. with devices 10-15 years old, and the club should have designed their new website to work with older devices

perhaps the club would think if us with older devices didn't renew our membership and joined the camping and caravan club

Hja replied on 18/12/2022 11:47

Posted on 18/12/2022 11:47

Some seem to have problems just running the site on their devices, let alone being able to navigate the wretched thing.

I don’t think it is totally the age of device or totally internet speed that is the issue. Until the last couple of weeks I have been using a ten year old Desk top pc running windows 8.1, using chrome. I had no more problem running the site than I did on my 2 year old iPad, which is very definitely not top of the range. We have very moderate internet speeds without a fibre cable in site.

I have just changed my pc because from early next year windows 8.1 is no longer supported and parts of office 365 which I also use will stop working. I can’t up grade it, so a new machine had to be bought.

I prefer to use my desk top for a lot of stuff including any word processing or my personal accounts. I find my I pad a bit too fiddly. However I no longer use my kindle as I get most of my books from the electronic public library, so absolutely free and use my iPad. Don’t know if you can use the library easily on a kindle. The electronic library was a life saver during the height of the pandemic when libraries were closed.

I have used my I pad for this post.

Sorry if some of this diverges from the thread but we do seem to have drifted into types of device.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 18/12/2022 11:49

Posted on 18/12/2022 11:49

LWM, you can pick up an Amazon Fire Tablet sub £90! That’ll get you online & booking👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 18/12/2022 11:52

Posted on 17/12/2022 21:00 by KjellNN

Oh yes, forgot about the extra 25p per week.......not sure what to spend it on!

Yes, got our £10 each the other week.  Will pay for food for a few days.

So glad that we are not depending only on the State Pension.

OH has no other pension as she was not well enough to work, so has only 60% of my basic, which is only an 87% pension due to not being in UK and paying into UK  scheme for sufficient years.

I have 37 years contributions, these days that would have been plenty for a full pension.   The 2 different pension schemes seem unfair.

Posted on 18/12/2022 11:52

I agree about the two pensions I had to have 45yrs national insurance contributions to get a state pension 

How does work when these days it only needs 37yrs with a higher pension than before?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook