New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

young thomas replied on 15/12/2022 11:07

Posted on 15/12/2022 09:54 by DavidKlyne

YT

That may be how you see things but without doubt this thread would probably be half the length if PC/Laptop's were still in common use by the majority of members as the majority of the problems are associated with use of the App rather than the system itself. As I have mentioned I think the Club took a misstep by trying to combine network site bookings with a search facility for CL's. Whether they have now realised that it would be better to have separate Apps we have yet to see. I maintain that a successful App will deal with one theme rather than multi, unconnected tasks. There is no doubt that the emergence of both smartphones and and tablets have introduced more people to web based activities who may have otherwise not have purchased a computer. The two types can go hand in hand but in terms of productivity a PC/Laptop will win hands down. No problem with charging, I can do that from the vehicle power supply which won't be necessary as like probably the majority of members I am usually on hook-up.

David

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:07

"That may be how you see things but without doubt this thread would probably be half the length if PC/Laptop's were still in common use by the majority of members as the majority of the problems are associated with use of the App rather than the system itself."

You may be right to a degree but, if the problem had been on laptops would be advocating folk take a desktop in their van or to sit in a site 'info centre with a shared unit' to make a booking?

this is 2022, soon to be 2023, and (sorry to say) the issue rests wholly with CAMC.

They decided to change the system but are obviously way out of touch with how a significant number of its members want to communicate with it.

ps...are there any Chromebook users out there, any info on how this platform/OS works...

young thomas replied on 15/12/2022 11:13

Posted on 15/12/2022 10:55 by brue

I'm glad the "basket" time for bookings has increased from 20 mins to 29 mins, anyone making multiple bookings still needs to be nippy. Not much time for browsing. If your access to WiFi is slow this will add to the challenge.

I've never downloaded the CAMC app so can't comment about it.

I tend to use my phone on the move.

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:13

The app is available for all phones and tablets, IOS or Android.

on such a device, IMHO it 'ought' to be easier/quicker to tap the app icon than to search for a bookmark on a web browser, hence I have the app on both iPad and iPhone.

brue replied on 15/12/2022 11:19

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:19

I use Chrome Book, so I'm partly making comments about the  booking function on there and partly on Android 12. Most of my comments relate to the set up in general not the device used. But I think, obviously the bigger the screen the better the view. There is an awful lot going on regarding details and maps and it functions better visually on a larger screen. Personally I like a map link otherwise small screens in particular are too cluttered.

PS I won't even consider downloading the app unless I hear it is fully functioning. I'm sparing in my use of apps in general.smile

young thomas replied on 15/12/2022 11:31

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:31

"I'm sparing in my use of apps in general"

any particular reason other than possibly screen clutter and space requirements?

I think it's certainly fair to keep reviewing the number we have downloaded, bit like 'unused icons on home screen' message on windows.

as more users rely on phones and tablets, i feel it will become more 'attractive' to download an app from a company you do plenty of business with.

Lyke Wake Man replied on 15/12/2022 11:53

Posted on 15/12/2022 08:58 by young thomas

David, tablets are designed to allow folk to retain a browsing experience and to use other processes via apps WITHOUT a PC.

PC are usually mains powered (even to charge their batteries) and not everyone is touring with mains all the time. Tablets are so simple to use and charge with 12v USBs and are instantly available, and who wants to do 'word processing' and 'spreadsheets' away from home on tour?

either way, a long word type passage can easily be prepared in an iPad or similar, you don't have to choose between a PC and a small phone screen. With an iPad and iPhone, notes, mails documents are all instantly sync'd with each other. I take photos on a phone and they're ready on the ipad in seconds.

who really needs a laptop when all most want to do is tap into their favourite social media stream or check emails and do a bit of online stuff like banking.

organisations who are serious about giving everyone access to their company offering will have an app that runs successfully on IOS, Android etc for tablets and phones.

Those that can't/don't find themselves in the position CAMC is in, customers struggling, not happy and posting on social media about it.

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:53

I don't like tablets as the letters on the screen are too small, I prefer my laptop, as for not being able to charge when off grid, we have a inverter in our van, so plug laptop  dyson in that

Lyke Wake Man replied on 15/12/2022 11:57

Posted on 15/12/2022 09:22 by Rocky 2 buckets

It isn’t the fault of CAMC that you have a weak Local area network(internet)-that is your responsibility🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:57

but it is the fault of the club that they designed the new web page to only work properly on the latest iPad or new laptop with SSD rather than hdd 

Tinwheeler replied on 15/12/2022 12:00

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:53 by Lyke Wake Man

I don't like tablets as the letters on the screen are too small, I prefer my laptop, as for not being able to charge when off grid, we have a inverter in our van, so plug laptop  dyson in that

Posted on 15/12/2022 12:00

Have you tried enlarging the keyboard or using the tablet in landscape mode?

I used to take a laptop touring back before tablets were invented but I'd not go back to that now. My Pad and phone between them do all that I need for weeks at a time.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/12/2022 12:02

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:57 by Lyke Wake Man

but it is the fault of the club that they designed the new web page to only work properly on the latest iPad or new laptop with SSD rather than hdd 

Posted on 15/12/2022 12:02

Did they? Other folk seem to be coping without iPads or SSD.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/12/2022 12:37

Posted on 15/12/2022 11:53 by Lyke Wake Man

Posted on 15/12/2022 12:37

You can easily change the font size on an IPad, not sure about other tablets but guessing similar technology is available. But sometimes things just “feel” better on a laptop. 

SteveL replied on 15/12/2022 13:41

Posted on 15/12/2022 10:55 by brue

I'm glad the "basket" time for bookings has increased from 20 mins to 29 mins, anyone making multiple bookings still needs to be nippy. Not much time for browsing. If your access to WiFi is slow this will add to the challenge.

I've never downloaded the CAMC app so can't comment about it.

I tend to use my phone on the move.

Posted on 15/12/2022 13:41

It doesn’t start ticking until you go to the checkout brue and when I added a second item it started at 42 minutes. So as long as it works correctly time shouldn’t be an issue. I think that’s part of the problem, the system is held together with sticking plaster and you are never sure when something will drop off.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook