New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

young thomas replied on 29/11/2022 21:52

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:52

I agree with both Steve and Brue....

firstly, there will be many coming to the new site for the first time, and who aren't CT members and who won't know about putting UK at the end of their search..these folk will surely pull their hair out and give up, especially if on a phone that can't or doesn't display the map.

secondly, Steve is probably right in that folk will generally know which town they are heading to and will get a small number of returns to sift through.

however, there will be folk who are planning a tour and might want to start their investigations with a wider search, this might be a struggle....

brue replied on 29/11/2022 22:00

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:52 by SteveL

I agree about having to put in, or select UK, that should be a given. However, my point was why would anyone want a list of perhaps 50 or more sites all over Somerset. Perhaps we are strange, but we normally have a specific destination in mind and would look for sites in that vicinity, where a list 20 long is adequate.

Posted on 29/11/2022 22:00

I'd just like it to be OK for all Steve, it's a mess at present and not good for CL owners. smile

DavidKlyne replied on 29/11/2022 22:38

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:40 by brue

At present Steve if I input Somerset (my county) as a location I get Somerset House Ice Rink in London as the first port of call, it has to be Somerset UK to get the ball rolling. I then get a list of CAMC main sites in the area and then a few CLs which start with A Alice St Farm near Frome as far as F Forton near Chard.

It's ludicrous to get all these other places if UK isn't added to the county search. Then main sites with CLs as an afterthought.

Posted on 29/11/2022 22:38

Brue

It's probably because they are using Google Maps which no doubt takes you (unless specified differently) to the most searched for location for that name? I agree it's not very satisfactory and is something that should have never found its way into the new system. I assume having purchased the software there was no way out? It's a shame when thinking of buying new software they didn't investigate how easy it would be to incorporate the best of the old website into the new?

David

SteveL replied on 29/11/2022 22:39

Posted on 29/11/2022 22:00 by brue

I'd just like it to be OK for all Steve, it's a mess at present and not good for CL owners. smile

Posted on 29/11/2022 22:39

Hopefully lengthening the list does not make it run more slowly. Although I currently don’t have a problem, many on here have said they do.

replied on 30/11/2022 07:13

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:47 by Greyhoundwest

Just want to say that many of us caravanners like to be spontaneous too . We're not all of the "steadies down for a week or so " persuasion. 

You're correct though that it has become more difficult to hit the open road without a set plan, which is a pity.

Fond memories of caravanning with my parents in the  1970s- 80s -  NE Scotland to Yugoslavia, Spain etc.   NOTHING pre booked apart from the ferry !  

Posted on 30/11/2022 07:13

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 30/11/2022 08:30

Posted on 30/11/2022 08:30

How long will it be for CL owners to recognise the shortcomings of the system and change the name of their CL. Your search may then come up with 20 lots of "Aardvark Adventures, Aardvark Accommodation " etc.

Currently, if you type in 'Norfolk' and you'll probably get 'Virginia Beach, Great Neck Park, First Landing Beach' etc.

young thomas replied on 30/11/2022 08:48

Posted on 29/11/2022 22:38 by DavidKlyne

Brue

It's probably because they are using Google Maps which no doubt takes you (unless specified differently) to the most searched for location for that name? I agree it's not very satisfactory and is something that should have never found its way into the new system. I assume having purchased the software there was no way out? It's a shame when thinking of buying new software they didn't investigate how easy it would be to incorporate the best of the old website into the new?

David

Posted on 30/11/2022 08:48

David, that certainly is not the case on my iPad using the Googlemaps app, which I use all the time.

if you put in 'Somerset' it returns the county of Somerset, with Somerset House being the next on the list.

similarly, there is no issue with typing 'Welshpool' without the UK, it returns the town of Welshpool.

now, it may well be that google maps is pretty clever and uses the location of the user to determine that UK might be the area they are searching. We could only verify that if someone 'elsewhere' could do some testing.

perhaps all the club needs to do is make use of location services rather than building a filter?

I think it's a bit naughty to hide behind google maps as it clearly returns relevant search results when used in its naked form.

ps...CY if you type Norfolk into google maps you get....wait for it...Norfolk, the county👍 In the CAMC app you get 'Norfolk Island', followed by 'Norfolk, UK'.

there are two Norfolk Islands...one is in Penrith and one is in Australia...guess which one the CAMC app returns?😉

brue replied on 30/11/2022 08:56

Posted on 30/11/2022 07:13 by

This year we have been able to get back to exactly the trips  you describe with your parents. Spain in the spring  and Croatia this autumn and nothing apart from the Ferries booked. If you can find the time there is no need to be restricted by the booking regimes of UK sites.

Posted on 30/11/2022 08:56

David, I believe you booked your long stay in Spain well ahead to secure the pitch you wanted etc ( at least I think I recall this in your previous posts?). This is just the same approach for many here although such very long stays aren't possible and not always wanted and even in Europe they are now limited for UK citizens.

I'm sure you'd find it tiresome if your Spanish site introduced a new system that didn't work easily.

So I think it's reasonable to say that booking ahead is the norm for most and would be even better on a fully functioning system. It has improved over the weeks but there are a lot of fixes still .needed. smile

I would love to see a normal search engine, just CAMC sites and CLs, I don't want a London ice Rink or an East Grinstead Hockey club when looking for sites. I can't think why this passed muster.

brue replied on 30/11/2022 09:12

Posted on 30/11/2022 08:30 by cyberyacht

How long will it be for CL owners to recognise the shortcomings of the system and change the name of their CL. Your search may then come up with 20 lots of "Aardvark Adventures, Aardvark Accommodation " etc.

Currently, if you type in 'Norfolk' and you'll probably get 'Virginia Beach, Great Neck Park, First Landing Beach' etc.

Posted on 30/11/2022 09:12

If they all changed to A the search list will still stick at 20. There's no functioning search beyond this number, a-z search doesn't work although it's in the filter box.

This is in the fix list, CL owners and users will have to wait a bit longer. 

eurortraveller replied on 30/11/2022 09:23

Posted on 30/11/2022 09:12 by brue

If they all changed to A the search list will still stick at 20. There's no functioning search beyond this number, a-z search doesn't work although it's in the filter box.

This is in the fix list, CL owners and users will have to wait a bit longer. 

Posted on 30/11/2022 09:23

I am sorry you get stuck at 20. I don’t.

I just typed “CL sites Cornwall”  onto the spyglass search box. It gave me a list of 18 main towns in tne county, and by touching each in turn it gave me all the CLs close to that town.  I lost count but there must have been well over a hundred across the county. 

Perhaps it’s because I have an I pad. Or perhaps because I live here. But I find it all very, very simple.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook