New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

HelenandTrevor replied on 29/11/2022 11:44

Posted on 29/11/2022 11:44

After having another try using the new system to search CL'S,  I see that "closed CL'S " still show on the map/lists.  Searching using the new booking system is still clunky and slow using my phone or tablet and as Brue says the CL list only gets to the b's if there are plenty of cls in an area, so frustrating!!

eurortraveller replied on 29/11/2022 11:48

Posted on 29/11/2022 11:02 by brue

There is no need to use the new booking section and map if you know a CL name, just put it in the search box via the spyglass symbol at the top of this page.

Posted on 29/11/2022 11:48

Good point Brue but it can go one step further. 

Let’s say, for example, that someone going to Wales wants to visit Powis Castle near Welshpool but doesn’t know a CL name.

All they need do is to use the method you described and type Welshpool in the search box. Bingo, job done. Lots of CLs to choose from.

Lyke Wake Man replied on 29/11/2022 14:20

Posted on 29/11/2022 10:37 by TheWanderer2

It appears that I've not visited the 'new' site to look for sites until yesterday. I'm not interested in booking club sites. Or indeed booking: I'm interested only in browsing CLs to find details/reviews/prices etc. before choosing and then calling selected ones as is intended. I no longer seem able to browse for the sites in a sensible way, and chunks of information that used to be available no longer is. And no price information. And no 'click through' to a specific page for the site. With reviews.

There are 244 pages (so far) on this thread. From my dipping in, the vast majority appear to relate to Club Sites and the booking thereof. To save me reading through 244 pages which will probably make me deeply depressed, can anyone advise whether I am right in my synopsis re. CLs? Or am I missing a trick re. the best way to browse for them and to access specific site information?

While I have a terrible suspicion I know the answer, it would be good to be properly informed.

Posted on 29/11/2022 14:20

I was told on here, find the site you like, type the name in on your search engine and it will bring up the old system with prices, how long it will work for is another question

young thomas replied on 29/11/2022 16:16

Posted on 29/11/2022 11:48 by eurortraveller

Good point Brue but it can go one step further. 

Let’s say, for example, that someone going to Wales wants to visit Powis Castle near Welshpool but doesn’t know a CL name.

All they need do is to use the method you described and type Welshpool in the search box. Bingo, job done. Lots of CLs to choose from.

Posted on 29/11/2022 16:16

You can do the same on the app BUT you must type 'Welshpool UK'. It doesn't recognise 'Welshpool' on its own.

the search returns the first 20 sites as mentioned earlier. What I can't see is what distance from Welshpool the app returns sites.

obviously, if it's 50 miles then there will always be more than 20 sites which means only those at the front of the alphabet.

the club needs to either check the included distance, to restrict those returned, or to allow scrolling on those that it does return...probably need a bit of both.

brue replied on 29/11/2022 18:18

Posted on 29/11/2022 18:18

This is all on the fix list, if you notice the a-z search doesn't work either. I believe a 25 mile radius is the aim? Basically the CL searches are better not done on the  booking system at present as it isn't fit for purpose 

Hja replied on 29/11/2022 20:14

Posted on 29/11/2022 10:37 by TheWanderer2

It appears that I've not visited the 'new' site to look for sites until yesterday. I'm not interested in booking club sites. Or indeed booking: I'm interested only in browsing CLs to find details/reviews/prices etc. before choosing and then calling selected ones as is intended. I no longer seem able to browse for the sites in a sensible way, and chunks of information that used to be available no longer is. And no price information. And no 'click through' to a specific page for the site. With reviews.

There are 244 pages (so far) on this thread. From my dipping in, the vast majority appear to relate to Club Sites and the booking thereof. To save me reading through 244 pages which will probably make me deeply depressed, can anyone advise whether I am right in my synopsis re. CLs? Or am I missing a trick re. the best way to browse for them and to access specific site information?

While I have a terrible suspicion I know the answer, it would be good to be properly informed.

Posted on 29/11/2022 20:14

Yes the majority of comments here are about club sites, at least in part because of deposits and payment options.  However there are also quite a lot of posts about CLs - several of us have been banging on about the issues, especially as the changes wanted by the club were nothing to do with CLs.  As someone points out down thread, the only way to find more detail about a CL you might want to visit is by putting the name in the search engine.

If your device works with the map then you can get outline info about some possible sites.  I have the Club site open in two tabs, one with the map and the other where I search for individual sites that might be possible.  Totally dire.  And whilst the links to the full information is supposed to be one of the future fixes, there is no time scale for when it might happen.

SteveL replied on 29/11/2022 21:26

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:26

Does anyone really want a list of more than 20 CL’s ranged from A to Z.?  True if you put in Powys UK you get a large map area and only a maximum of 20 in the list, none of which you have any idea of  actual location.
Where as if you put in a specific location, such as Welshpool UK, you get a small map area with 4 CL’s, which you can see the locations of and they are listed in the side pane. If they don’t suit you can move the map pane about your desired location of Welshpool and others will appear and be listed in the side pane.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t think let’s go to Somerset, which would return masses of results, but to say Cheddar which returns the CC site and 4 CL’s.

brue replied on 29/11/2022 21:40

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:40

At present Steve if I input Somerset (my county) as a location I get Somerset House Ice Rink in London as the first port of call, it has to be Somerset UK to get the ball rolling. I then get a list of CAMC main sites in the area and then a few CLs which start with A Alice St Farm near Frome as far as F Forton near Chard.

It's ludicrous to get all these other places if UK isn't added to the county search. Then main sites with CLs as an afterthought.

Greyhoundwest replied on 29/11/2022 21:47

Posted on 14/09/2022 21:06 by Number14

I think you are right. Despite adding the word 'Motorhome' to their name I don't think that the club understands that the 'modus operandi' of caravanners and motorhomers are quite different. Typically, a caravanner will tend to park up for a week or so whilst a motorhomer will rarely stay in one place for more than two or three nights. A motorhomer is, I feel, more opportunistic or spontanious in their touring behaviour.

For example, in our motorhome we made an 1800 mile round trip to Orkney earlier this year and mostly didn't plan more than 24 hours in advance. On one occasion we called in to a CCC site for a service stop en route - water, waste and shower all for less than £8. On the other hand our son took his caravan and family to a holiday park for two weeks. Both choices were entirely appropriate and everyone was happy.

Nevertheless, the club needs to be flexible and wake up to the competition from the likes of Britstops, the aires being promoted by Campra and other motorhome stopover options being introduced by local councils. Simply adding service points to club sites is not enough.

This current website debacle and booking policy does nothing to attract a motorhomer like myself. If it were not for the CL network, I think I would cancel membership tomorrow.

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:47

Just want to say that many of us caravanners like to be spontaneous too . We're not all of the "steadies down for a week or so " persuasion. 

You're correct though that it has become more difficult to hit the open road without a set plan, which is a pity.

Fond memories of caravanning with my parents in the  1970s- 80s -  NE Scotland to Yugoslavia, Spain etc.   NOTHING pre booked apart from the ferry !  

SteveL replied on 29/11/2022 21:52

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:40 by brue

At present Steve if I input Somerset (my county) as a location I get Sonerset House Ice Rink in London as the first port of call, it has to be Somerset UK to get the ball rolling. I then get a list of CAMC main sites in the area and then a few CLs which start with A Alice St Farm near Frome as far as F Forton near Chard.

It's ludicrous to get all these other places if UK isn't added to the county search. Then main sites with CLs as an afterthought.

Posted on 29/11/2022 21:52

I agree about having to put in, or select UK, that should be a given. However, my point was why would anyone want a list of perhaps 50 or more sites all over Somerset. Perhaps we are strange, but we normally have a specific destination in mind and would look for sites in that vicinity, where a list 20 long is adequate.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook