New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Arch replied on 11/11/2022 11:12

Posted on 10/11/2022 21:46 by DavidKlyne

Arch

I am not so sure. It's really about whether the Club can handle a certain level service. What JVB mentioned might only be a tiny percentage of calls received by the Club Call Centre so perhaps can be disregarded. However if it became a real problem and prevented the Call Centre handling the calls it really needs to it would make perfect sense for the Club either ban the option, perhaps going back to calling the site direct, or imposing a charge for the service, as it already does for overseas phone bookings. Members would still have a choice. Likewise, I think if they start having a higher proportion of members electing to pay on arrival they may well make pre-payment a requirement as well. From an administrative point of view you have to close down loopholes which impact on the efficiency of the system. Best not to get too far ahead of ourselves but the Club does have options.

David 

Posted on 11/11/2022 11:12

David, the club was my always my goto organisation for all my caravan holidays I would always stay on main club sites for 2 - 4 weeks at a time multiple times a year and met many like minded people  I suspect we were part of the core business of the club, along came covid then staycations I think the sight of all that gold went to the clubs head and the push for change, efficiency and pitch availability started, we know where it's ended up at the moment, in my opinion seeing pitch occupancy on sites I visited last year staycations are over, I think the club is left with a very great many disillusioned members like myself who will go out of their way now to change their booking habits leaving the club with many vacant pitches to sell in any way it can.

SteveL replied on 11/11/2022 11:41

Posted on 11/11/2022 11:12 by Arch

David, the club was my always my goto organisation for all my caravan holidays I would always stay on main club sites for 2 - 4 weeks at a time multiple times a year and met many like minded people  I suspect we were part of the core business of the club, along came covid then staycations I think the sight of all that gold went to the clubs head and the push for change, efficiency and pitch availability started, we know where it's ended up at the moment, in my opinion seeing pitch occupancy on sites I visited last year staycations are over, I think the club is left with a very great many disillusioned members like myself who will go out of their way now to change their booking habits leaving the club with many vacant pitches to sell in any way it can.

Posted on 11/11/2022 11:41

I certainly won’t be going out of my way to avoid club sites. If they are in the right place I will use them, as we quite like them. However, the loss of there USP and the fact we are also members of the C&CC, who’s sites typically work out £7 a night cheaper, means they are likely to get more of our business. Again they have to be in the right place, there is very little point in going to a site if it’s not where you want to be, or avoiding one if it is.

paulmold replied on 11/11/2022 12:13

Posted on 11/11/2022 12:13

I was invited this morning by email to answer this month's 'how's the club doing survey' , perhaps others would like to join in ...

https://survey.alchemer.eu/s3/90500571/November-Quick-Chat?Segment=Adults

Hja replied on 11/11/2022 12:44

Posted on 11/11/2022 10:51 by brue

Out of interest the payment in advance tick box is the default so at present there are complaints that money has been taken in advance because some aren't noticing the default mechanism. So in some ways this has been covered by CAMC.

Posted on 11/11/2022 12:44

Have they resolved the issue whereby even though you un ticked the pay in advance box, it reverted to pay in advance as you moved to the next screen? And several have reported on here and elsewhere that even with confirmation via call centre money was still taken out before arrival.

Hja replied on 11/11/2022 12:45

Posted on 11/11/2022 12:13 by paulmold

I was invited this morning by email to answer this month's 'how's the club doing survey' , perhaps others would like to join in ...

Posted on 11/11/2022 12:45

So surveys do exist. Real people to get them!

DavidKlyne replied on 11/11/2022 13:02

Posted on 11/11/2022 11:12 by Arch

Posted on 11/11/2022 13:02

Arch

This change has clearly been on the cards since the Club announced they had purchased new software as far back as 2018, I think? The pandemic probably delayed  its introduction by a couple of years. There is no "perfect" time to introduce such a change and whenever it was it was likely to cause a storm. I am sure more people went back to having overseas holidays this year and from our hobby point of view even more will do next year. The current economic situation will certainly impact on some so it will be very difficult to say absolutely that the changing of the booking system will, in itself, lead to reduced occupancy, we will have to wait until the next accounts to get a better handle on that? I think when those who are angry with the change start to realise that changing their MO is not quite as simple as changing pitch suppliers with usually much harsher T&C's I suspect many will continue to use Club sites.

Perhaps it's more a motorhome thing than a caravan thing but I agree with Steve that selecting sites is more about more precise locations. The new system won't change my way of doing things. If the Club have a site where I won't to be I will book that site. However if a commercial site is more convenient I will use that. 

David

peedee replied on 11/11/2022 13:21

Posted on 11/11/2022 13:02 by DavidKlyne

Arch

This change has clearly been on the cards since the Club announced they had purchased new software as far back as 2018, I think? The pandemic probably delayed  its introduction by a couple of years. There is no "perfect" time to introduce such a change and whenever it was it was likely to cause a storm. I am sure more people went back to having overseas holidays this year and from our hobby point of view even more will do next year. The current economic situation will certainly impact on some so it will be very difficult to say absolutely that the changing of the booking system will, in itself, lead to reduced occupancy, we will have to wait until the next accounts to get a better handle on that? I think when those who are angry with the change start to realise that changing their MO is not quite as simple as changing pitch suppliers with usually much harsher T&C's I suspect many will continue to use Club sites.

Perhaps it's more a motorhome thing than a caravan thing but I agree with Steve that selecting sites is more about more precise locations. The new system won't change my way of doing things. If the Club have a site where I won't to be I will book that site. However if a commercial site is more convenient I will use that. 

David

Posted on 11/11/2022 13:21

Hear hear. 100 percent. There is a lot of hot air about.

peedee

Wherenext replied on 11/11/2022 13:32

Posted on 11/11/2022 12:13 by paulmold

Posted on 11/11/2022 13:32

Cheers Paul. That got a lot of things off my chest.

Not likely to result in anything but nevertheless satisfying.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook