New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Mikenbike replied on 10/11/2022 15:06

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:06

I've just tried making a booking on my Amazon tablet.  It insisted I enter my date of birth, but insisted I use a pop-up to do so, with no way of typing it in directly.  The pop-up is SO BADLY designed that it would require 800 key depressions to wind back to my date of birth!!!

Then rinse and repeat for my wife's date of birth.

If the Club thinks I'm going to make 1500+ key depressions just to enter our dates of birth, it has another think coming.

I just gave up.

The booking system was clearly never tested on a tablet and the infuriating software was designed by a child.

It's been a long time since I've seen any system designed this badly.  

When we're touring, we won't have access to a laptop to make a booking, so I can't see the Club being any use to us.  

eurortraveller replied on 10/11/2022 15:14

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:14

Mikenbike, your complaint has been answered many times.

If you are logged in as a member on the website your birthday is known and you need not enter it.

If you don’t wish to enter your wife’s birthday you just book for yourself and pay for the extra person when you arrive at site.

it is very easy to book on a tablet.

Please stay cheerful.

brue replied on 10/11/2022 15:30

Posted on 10/11/2022 12:08 by SteveL

I’m not offended brue, we just have a different take on things. Hopefully as well as listing more, the fact that it is going to order them as a default in distance from the centre of your search, presumably out to 25 miles, will mean that all CL owners get a fair showing.

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:30

Possibly you are looking at the map Steve and I'm looking at the lists but today it seems to have got worse generally. I've just typed Devon in the  location search which is still bringing up Haven Devon Cliffs as the first port of call then I look for Devon Uk, I use this and then use the CL filter. It then goes haywire. I think I got a few CLs but I got Aberbran, Baltic Wharf as starters (at least they are in alphabetic order.)

Had the club used an in house list ie just their sites and CLs I don't think it would be in this mess. Maybe a separate map search could have followed using google but essentially the sites search needs to be CAMC places only which could be adjusted accordingly.

I'm sure most website searches on a company site would only use their own products, I really don't need to find no 1 Acacia Ave or the local hospital if I'm looking for a caravan site....wink

(I'm pretty sure if I use the opposition sites search (C&CC) I only get their sites, nothing else needs to be there.)

brue replied on 10/11/2022 15:39

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:06 by Mikenbike

I've just tried making a booking on my Amazon tablet.  It insisted I enter my date of birth, but insisted I use a pop-up to do so, with no way of typing it in directly.  The pop-up is SO BADLY designed that it would require 800 key depressions to wind back to my date of birth!!!

Then rinse and repeat for my wife's date of birth.

If the Club thinks I'm going to make 1500+ key depressions just to enter our dates of birth, it has another think coming.

I just gave up.

The booking system was clearly never tested on a tablet and the infuriating software was designed by a child.

It's been a long time since I've seen any system designed this badly.  

When we're touring, we won't have access to a laptop to make a booking, so I can't see the Club being any use to us.  

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:39

When I booked I rolled back to the nearest date that made my OH an adult so he became a spring chicken born in 2002! It works on some devices but not all however that's not good enough so I sympathise with all the problems being encountered. I think it's also possible to use initials instead of full names? I didn't try that but it might save extra work?! (That was gleaned from staff comments on Trust Pilot or social media.)

JVB66 replied on 10/11/2022 15:43

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:43

Some friends have arrived today  they booked this morning via a call centre and paid on arrival 

And they say it is the way we are going to as they are not going to be fined if they  have to cancel within 21 days 

As they have been told bookings are down compared to the usual at this time of year ,it can only get better  into next year to book sites late ,as us , expect quite a few sites including honey pot site to have availability 

Ps they are retired site staff with their ear very much aware of club matters 

DavidKlyne replied on 10/11/2022 16:07

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:43 by JVB66

Some friends have arrived today  they booked this morning via a call centre and paid on arrival 

And they say it is the way we are going to as they are not going to be fined if they  have to cancel within 21 days 

As they have been told bookings are down compared to the usual at this time of year ,it can only get better  into next year to book sites late ,as us , expect quite a few sites including honey pot site to have availability 

Ps they are retired site staff with their ear very much aware of club matters 

Posted on 10/11/2022 16:07

They may be able to do that now but if, once the system has settled down, the Club finds a significant number of members doing the same thing no doubt they will change things to make that more difficult. The easiest way would probably to make an extra charge for telephone bookings as they do with overseas bookings? I am also surprised they weren't asked to pay the site fees as they were arriving on the same day. There is really no point in people trying to get round the system because the loopholes will just be closed?

David

JVB66 replied on 10/11/2022 16:11

Posted on 10/11/2022 16:07 by DavidKlyne

They may be able to do that now but if, once the system has settled down, the Club finds a significant number of members doing the same thing no doubt they will change things to make that more difficult. The easiest way would probably to make an extra charge for telephone bookings as they do with overseas bookings? I am also surprised they weren't asked to pay the site fees as they were arriving on the same day. There is really no point in people trying to get round the system because the loopholes will just be closed?

David

Posted on 10/11/2022 16:11

To even more detriment of this clubs already shattered reputation ?

Mikenbike replied on 10/11/2022 16:17

Posted on 10/11/2022 15:14 by eurortraveller

Mikenbike, your complaint has been answered many times.

If you are logged in as a member on the website your birthday is known and you need not enter it.

If you don’t wish to enter your wife’s birthday you just book for yourself and pay for the extra person when you arrive at site.

it is very easy to book on a tablet.

Please stay cheerful.

Posted on 10/11/2022 16:17

I'm sorry eurortraveller, but you're quite wrong.

I WAS logged in as a member and it did NOT auto-populate our dates of birth.  It refused to move forward with our booking without those fields populated. 

There was no way to enter them, other than by 1500+ finger presses, as described.

I disagree completely that it is "very easy to book on a tablet".  

May I ask in what way my complaint "has been answered many times" please?  

I could book sites previously on my Amazon tablet and now I cannot do so.  Why should I remain cheerful with the Club for that?

I should add that I spent 40 years in IT, including a spell as a software developer, and another long spell as a system designer, so I recognise a poor implementation when I see one.  

young thomas replied on 10/11/2022 16:19

Posted on 10/11/2022 16:19

Haven't booked any Club sites, don't intend to...but I think I could just about use the system as is to book one site at a time and not let it get complex.

any tour we tackle in the uk will be CL/CS and/or THS or even the odd C&CC site.

the map on the app just about gives enough space to work out where CLs are and enough detail to call for availability, price etc.

im trying to be optimistic (in that I think I could use it) but I really do think generally the club has dropped an almighty clanger here.

the search is rubbish if you don't put 'UK' on the end of a place name and even then, what it returns is 90+% irrelevant.

I tried Minehead....I got High St Minehead and a lot of other hopeless stuff. Minehead UK was about third on the list, which was tempting to press, however just below that was Minehead CAMC site....so why wasn't that at the top?

as other have said, if you were to use, say, the B&Q website and search for a click and collect store near a specific town, it wouldn't point you to Poundland, or the nearest Bank!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook