New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

SteveL replied on 06/11/2022 12:46

Posted on 06/11/2022 12:42 by paulmold

Presumably that's on a Desktop, it certainly doesn't display like that on my Android tablet or phone. I like to book as I go along on a trip, so don't want to take a PC or laptop with me. I have sussed it now on how to book a club site if I know where and when I want to go but would love to see the old way if displaying availability at sites in the next 3 weeks or to be able to enter a distance from a specific town and get all sites and CLs in that area. 

Posted on 06/11/2022 12:46

No, on my iPad. Works OK on the iphone as well but very fiddly on the small screen.

young thomas replied on 06/11/2022 13:04

Posted on 06/11/2022 12:15 by SteveL

Works reasonably well for me brue, OK not perfect but very useable. It has certainly improved in recent days.
For instance a search for something around Bovey Tracey. Put in the name and OK not top of list but it was there. Touch on it and the map and list in the attached picture was displayed. No zooming or panning or anything. I’ve tried it for a few places around  the UK and it works similarly well. Things are definitely getting better. However, as has been mentioned earlier older devices do seem to struggle. It is fairly memory hungry and works better if you start off with a clear cache.

Posted on 06/11/2022 13:04

Steve, I've just done the same search on my iPad , Bovey Tracey. Got same sort of answer but my map window was much slimmer...mine only works in portrait...it won't switch to landscape which would give a bigger map view along the site list...

paulmold replied on 06/11/2022 13:30

Posted on 06/11/2022 13:30

I've just discovered that the website will rotate to landscape and I get same screen as SteveL on my Android tablet  but the app  (which I always use) will not rotate. I thought the app was simply a gateway to the booking section of the website,  something else that needs work. So thanks for making me look. 

SteveL replied on 06/11/2022 13:41

Posted on 06/11/2022 13:04 by young thomas

Steve, I've just done the same search on my iPad , Bovey Tracey. Got same sort of answer but my map window was much slimmer...mine only works in portrait...it won't switch to landscape which would give a bigger map view along the site list...

Posted on 06/11/2022 13:41

Mine is the same if I use the App and as paulmold mentions similar on the Android version. Hopefully they will make the App available in landscape, the C&CC one works in both.

HelenandTrevor replied on 06/11/2022 14:33

Posted on 06/11/2022 14:33

I tried to use the new booking system look for a CL a few weeks ago, had to give up after an hour of hopeless and frustrating searching. 

This week I stayed  a few minutes  later at work so I thought I'd try using the booking system on my desktop. Have to say  although not perfect it worked better, would like a link to the CL site directions though.

Not very practical having to search/ book using the work desktop all the time!! 🤔 Hears hoping it will eventually work as well on phones and tablets.🤞

peedee replied on 06/11/2022 14:53

Posted on 06/11/2022 13:30 by paulmold

I've just discovered that the website will rotate to landscape and I get same screen as SteveL on my Android tablet  but the app  (which I always use) will not rotate. I thought the app was simply a gateway to the booking section of the website,  something else that needs work. So thanks for making me look. 

Posted on 06/11/2022 14:53

I assume you have it working ok now using the web site. I am like SteveL and not having any problems using my desktop or tablet but as pointed out using a small screen device like a phone even on the website is a real fiddle and the App is a near dead loss.

Contrary to what they originally said at the beginning of the week, the App has not had its default set to show the list. The Club is now saying it has still to be done. I doubt even this change will make it as good as the previous App.

peedee

brue replied on 06/11/2022 15:00

Posted on 06/11/2022 12:15 by SteveL

Works reasonably well for me brue, OK not perfect but very useable. It has certainly improved in recent days.
For instance a search for something around Bovey Tracey. Put in the name and OK not top of list but it was there. Touch on it and the map and list in the attached picture was displayed. No zooming or panning or anything. I’ve tried it for a few places around  the UK and it works similarly well. Things are definitely getting better. However, as has been mentioned earlier older devices do seem to struggle. It is fairly memory hungry and works better if you start off with a clear cache.

Posted on 06/11/2022 15:00

Steve, my point was about the strange mixture of places that come up on a search and I really don't think an in house booking system needs to contain a rival companies (in this case Haven) caravan park. I'm sure many of us can get round the system but it would be so much  better if the system was straightforward. As I've said before all my devices are up to date, they're not old, most of the time I'm using an Android 12 phone. Why would anyone want to find private and other commercial addresses on an in house holiday site search?

I think basically I'm tired of reading statements from CAMC that the system was successfully introduced after lots of testing and just a few fixes are needed! The fix list is now very long in the booking experience section!

However in the scheme of things it's their problem not mine but I hope they do take on board what is being said and reported.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/11/2022 15:05

Posted on 06/11/2022 14:33 by HelenandTrevor

I tried to use the new booking system look for a CL a few weeks ago, had to give up after an hour of hopeless and frustrating searching. 

This week I stayed  a few minutes  later at work so I thought I'd try using the booking system on my desktop. Have to say  although not perfect it worked better, would like a link to the CL site directions though.

Not very practical having to search/ book using the work desktop all the time!! 🤔 Hears hoping it will eventually work as well on phones and tablets.🤞

Posted on 06/11/2022 15:05

H&T

I suspect all these programs are developed on desktop computers and I imagine the Apps have to work round the original program? Personally I am a slave to a keyboard and only use apps to find information or to check things, like banking or checking the central heating when we are away in the winter. I would rarely have a need to book whilst away from home so I tend to use my PC to make bookings. I am yet to book a site on the new system so there is still time for it to all go wrong for mesmile

David

HelenandTrevor replied on 06/11/2022 15:19

Posted on 06/11/2022 15:05 by DavidKlyne

H&T

I suspect all these programs are developed on desktop computers and I imagine the Apps have to work round the original program? Personally I am a slave to a keyboard and only use apps to find information or to check things, like banking or checking the central heating when we are away in the winter. I would rarely have a need to book whilst away from home so I tend to use my PC to make bookings. I am yet to book a site on the new system so there is still time for it to all go wrong for mesmile

David

Posted on 06/11/2022 15:19

David, 

Only being able to use a PC to make a  booking easily and successfully isn't good even at home if you haven't got one. It should really work well on all devices, the old system did. 

peedee replied on 06/11/2022 15:20

Posted on 06/11/2022 15:20

my point was about the strange mixture of places that come up on a search and I really don't think an in house booking system needs to contain a rival companies (in this case Haven) caravan park. I'm sure many of us can get round the system but it would be so much better if the system was straightforward.

As with any search engine I don't see it is that difficult to ignore the unrequired places and select the one of interest. At least now they are mostly places in the UK. Sorry to say right now there appears to be a problem searching for CLs. I have tried two browsers using my windows desktop and they both have repeatedly crashed.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook