New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

young thomas replied on 03/11/2022 09:32

Posted on 03/11/2022 09:32

Gill, any 'technical' addictions mentioned above shouldn't detract from your enjoyment.

any prepaid arrival should be able to enter the site just as a returning car or MH that's been out for a trip. if ANPR is working correctly neither of these 'arrivals' at the barrier should need a fob. To the system they are both just 'allowed on site', recognised by their number plate.

I don't see any free for all at the barrier...again, any ANPR system can add the time to the list elements that need to be met prior to the barrier being raised...

are they booked for that day, have they paid, if it's the first arrival is it after the arrival time?

these are exactly the same questions a warden and a customer would have in a manual system...

once on site you can take as long as you like to mooch about to choose you pitch exactly as now...far less palaver if all you need to do is pull up to the barrier and drive in....

we either embrace this sort of stuff and make it work for wardens (less work at main arrival time) and customers (effort done up front with pre pay to make arrival a non event...) or we remain frightened/wary of it.

Surely if this sort of tech can ease the queuing at peak arrival times isn't that a good thing...?

Cornersteady replied on 03/11/2022 09:54

Posted on 03/11/2022 08:49 by young thomas

I agree with Steve in that, having pre paid, with a barrier system that recognises who you are (and that you've paid), and any required toilet block code has been sent, what is there for a 'check in' to achieve...all this can (and should be done remotely from wardens who have enough to do for those who haven't pre paid..).

pre paid arrivals can then enter the site without stopping at the office and go and find a pitch. Once this is done, a visit to the office to note pitch number might be required (although this could be actioned through the app, if it worked, updating the office system and notifying the warden with a emessage).

the only physical thing to do is collect a barrier fob, but if the exit barrier were also ANPR then this wouldn't be needed either.

all of the above sounds like 'blue sky thinking' compared to the clubs systems but having uprooted everything with this huge technical change, why not employ some simple slick elements which would make life so much easier for wardens and customers...

these sort of integrated ANPR/barrier/payment/confirm message type systems are in use all over the place....from car parks to even MH Aires...

I realise the important thing at the moment is to get the main booking processes working, but just a little thought of what prepayment might be able to add to (take away from?) the arrival process could have led to a really slick market leading effort.

as it is, folk will be asking themselves what's the point of pre payment if you still have to queue with other cars, then stop, get out and queue again in the office to achieve what over and above what can already be easily done electronically?

another opportunity missed?

Posted on 03/11/2022 09:54

I actually do agree with you on this BB and I hope it comes to fruition. It wouldn't work for all club sites as Steve alluded to as there would be need for a double lane to the barrier, I can think of quite a few sites where this is the case already and it would work great and equally a number of smaller sites where it is just a one lane so wouldn't without some form of alteration or way around it.   

KjellNN replied on 03/11/2022 09:58

Posted on 03/11/2022 09:58

We use a small site in Kendal which has ANPR.  When you book you pay a deposit and select your pitch, so you know exactly where to go.  Balance of payment is 6 weeks before arrival, which is the only downside, but the ANPR works very well.

No toilet block, so no wardens, all serviced pitches.  Phone numbers posted should you need to contact owners, or wish to try to book on the day.

As said already, the CCC system works well, with balance payment taken on day of arrival, though there is usually a small delay on arrival to receive paperwork and welcome talk before being shown available pitches.

Recently we were at CCC Jedburgh, there you now go into reception to receive paperwork and barrier code.

SteveL replied on 03/11/2022 10:00

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:00

One thing they could easily do at no cost to speed up arrivals, wether paid or not, is to mark your record with an indication of frequency of staying on club sites in the last 12 months. Say zero, low, medium and  serial user😉 They would of course need to take note of the information.  I’m sure we can’t be the only ones who have been subject to a 2 minute lecture on pitching etiquette and where the facilities are located, even after being asked have you stayed here before and replying yes we come here a lot, we don’t need a map. 🤷🏻‍♀️

young thomas replied on 03/11/2022 10:11

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:00 by SteveL

One thing they could easily do at no cost to speed up arrivals, wether paid or not, is to mark your record with an indication of frequency of staying on club sites in the last 12 months. Say zero, low, medium and  serial user😉 They would of course need to take note of the information.  I’m sure we can’t be the only ones who have been subject to a 2 minute lecture on pitching etiquette and where the facilities are located, even after being asked have you stayed here before and replying yes we come here a lot, we don’t need a map. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:11

Of course, pitching instructions is often the crux of a real conversation with the warden at arrival...however, surely there's enough on the booking confirmation (or can be) to ensure sufficient knowledge.

of course, some folk just can't park a van and will get it wrong no matter how long the wardens chat....

let's cut the unnecessary elements and make use of technology...I know some folk feel we are already bombarded in our daily lives with emails/texts etc but it just goes to show how many processes can benefit from this type of interaction.

Ive just made a small click and collect order...when I collect it shortly, I won't need a 'discussion' about the product...I've already done the donkey work of 'booking my pitch'...I just want the end product without any time wasting or unnecessary hassle.

SteveL replied on 03/11/2022 10:26

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:11 by young thomas

Of course, pitching instructions is often the crux of a real conversation with the warden at arrival...however, surely there's enough on the booking confirmation (or can be) to ensure sufficient knowledge.

of course, some folk just can't park a van and will get it wrong no matter how long the wardens chat....

let's cut the unnecessary elements and make use of technology...I know some folk feel we are already bombarded in our daily lives with emails/texts etc but it just goes to show how many processes can benefit from this type of interaction.

Ive just made a small click and collect order...when I collect it shortly, I won't need a 'discussion' about the product...I've already done the donkey work of 'booking my pitch'...I just want the end product without any time wasting or unnecessary hassle.

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:26

I agree, although I can’t see the CC going for it. 
Link to site map on booking confirmation, info on the pitch type you have chosen and peg colour,  plus video of pitching etiquette, is all it should take. Sticking chips in the membership cards, would be an alternative to ANPR. There could be a clear instruction that if you are new to club sites, or new to caravanning / MH ing and need help, please call at reception to request assistance before going on site.

Cornersteady replied on 03/11/2022 10:26

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:00 by SteveL

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:26

mmm, I wonder what category I would be in?

I don't think serial user does me justice really smile

Yes been there and even when we say yes we've been before and one time I actually gave the number up to that point which was 92 we're still given the talk about one way systems and all the rest. 

Tinwheeler replied on 03/11/2022 10:41

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:11 by young thomas

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:41

I think most of us recognise the need to move forward with the aid of modern technology - it's what it's there for and the way to go. There's nothing to he gained from clinging to the old ways because it's 'what we do'.

What we don't need though are any more costly dog's breakfast attempts at introducing technological advances. 😟

SteveL replied on 03/11/2022 10:46

Posted on 03/11/2022 10:46

Just had a check. Various places round the world are still showing in the location search and it is still showing as work in progress to be sorted. When I search for Devon in Google maps, Devon is top of the list, followed by streets and places locally with Devon in the name. Touch Devon and I get a map showing Devon and Cornwall.

Do it on the booking search and I get Devon Canada top of the list with Devon UK second. Searching Devon UK I get a fair chunk of South Wales, Somerset, Dorset and part of Cornwall, as well  as Devon.

Both are using Google maps, why the difference and why so long to get it sorted?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook