New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/10/2022 11:01

Posted on 30/10/2022 10:47 by peedee

Not everyone is the same and different people will have varying levels of experience and understanding of the system. The fact that these posts continue is a strong indicator that for many all is not as it should be.

I agree TW but is that really a problem of the booking software? There is enough help in many forms available to those in difficulty. I certainly do not accept that it is a stong indicator that all is not as it should be with the application.

peedee

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:01

It's blindingly obvious that the system is not as user friendly as it should be, PD. See WTG's post above as an example from an established and intelligent user.

You may not accept the posts as being a strong indicator that all is not as it should be but it's clear that the fault cannot be laid at the door of anything other than the club's software. Even you have agreed that there are flaws.

peedee replied on 30/10/2022 11:07

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:07

2) Choose an area as instructed. Input dates. Zoom on map.

Some sites are marked as Full. Click on a Full tab only find site is ‘Full’ for just a few nights during the period. Not helpful at all if one wants to put together a tour and not stay on one site for the whole period as a couple of nights might sufice.

(On old website, one could see at a glance where there were vacancies, and put together a tour, linking up vacant nights.)

I am struggling to understand your problem WTG. Why not simply alter the dates to match the vacancies shown on the "Full" sites or are you saying you would have ignored that site in the first place as it showed "Full"? If it is the latter then surely it is not all that inconvenient to have a swift look to see what actually might be available if you altered your dates and really wanted to go there?

peedee

peedee replied on 30/10/2022 11:11

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:11

Even you have agreed that there are flaws.

I do accept there are flaws TW but nothing that cannot currently be overcome. One hopes that these will, in the fullness of time, be overcome if members make constructive reports to the Club.

peedee

replied on 30/10/2022 11:25

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:07 by peedee

Some sites are marked as Full. Click on a Full tab only find site is ‘Full’ for just a few nights during the period. Not helpful at all if one wants to put together a tour and not stay on one site for the whole period as a couple of nights might sufice.

(On old website, one could see at a glance where there were vacancies, and put together a tour, linking up vacant nights.)

I am struggling to understand your problem WTG. Why not simply alter the dates to match the vacancies shown on the "Full" sites or are you saying you would have ignored that site in the first place as it showed "Full"? If it is the latter then surely it is not all that inconvenient to have a swift look to see what actually might be available if you altered your dates and really wanted to go there?

peedee

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:25

The user and all related content has been deleted

Hja replied on 30/10/2022 11:44

Posted on 30/10/2022 10:43 by

These are the problems I have encountered using the Late Availability function.

1) Do as suggested in the intro and input UK.

No, doesn’t work. A more precise location is required.

(On old website, it was possible to search the whole of the UK.)

Some sites are marked as Full. Click on a Full tab only find site is ‘Full’ for just a few nights during the period. Not helpful at all if one wants to put together a tour and not stay on one site for the whole period as a couple of nights might suffice.

3) Do as a poster suggested up thread and scroll down to list at bottom of page. Ostensibly, this shows sites with vacancies for a certain period.

One site in the area in which I was interested was not listed. Yet, when I visited that site’s page, it did have vacancies but not for the full period outlined at the top of the list. Same problem as point 2 above.

Late Availability is, I conclude, helpful if a member is seeking a stay on a single site, at a specific time. It is not, unlike with the old search, helpful in putting together a tour involving multiple sites, over a flexible period, as the information is either incomplete or inaccurate.

Is this a moan? Is this user error? Is it finding fault for the sake of it? Or is it noting, constructively, a real shortcoming compared with the previous LA function?

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:44

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say it’s fine if you know exactly where and when you wish to go.

This seems to be an underlying problem across all aspects of the site.

So, with CLs search by county/town, if you have an exact destination. that’s fine. But if you are less clear on destination the map is helpful, as it was in the old site, but then if you wish to look at the details of a number of sites, such as exact location, look on satellite view etc it becomes very difficult, because you have to use the magnifying glass to get the details.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/10/2022 11:47

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:11 by peedee

Even you have agreed that there are flaws.

I do accept there are flaws TW but nothing that cannot currently be overcome. One hopes that these will, in the fullness of time, be overcome if members make constructive reports to the Club.

peedee

Posted on 30/10/2022 11:47

Exactly. Thanks for agreeing the flaws/faults lie with the software. It means folk have to go around the houses, as you described to WTG, to achieve what should be so simple. None of the self fixes should be necessary to overcome the inherent failings.

replied on 30/10/2022 12:02

Posted on 30/10/2022 12:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 30/10/2022 12:02

Posted on 30/10/2022 12:02

The point I am making is that the new system does not display all the vacant nights on all sites in an area during the period in which I was interested. It did so on the previous LA search.

I think what you mean is you have to be more specific compared to the old system where, if I recall correctly, you could see a list of sites with availability for upto 8 weeks into the future?

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 30/10/2022 12:15

Posted on 30/10/2022 12:15

I never used a late availability list in my life - or ever felt the need of one - or ever booked a tour stage by stage in advance. I often booked one site or one hotel to start me off,  but then when I felt I had exhausted the charms or the interest of that one place  I just phoned another and asked how about they were placed for the next day. .it worked in 20 countries as well as in the UK. Aren’t mobile phones great .

SteveL replied on 30/10/2022 13:07

Posted on 30/10/2022 13:07

One of the big uses of the late availability would have been to pick up late notice cancelled bookings. From next June, when all bookings will be on the new system, that is far less likely to happen, particularly if looking within the next 3 weeks. Whilst I agree the old late availability was better, the new version is certainly useable. Most will only be looking at one or two sites and in that scenario it doesn’t take significantly longer than before.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook