New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Bromptonaut replied on 24/10/2022 15:45

Posted on 24/10/2022 15:45

Trying to book a long weekend in mid November. Location anywhere in England witihn (say) two hours of home. 

On the old system I could just put the dates in then scroll through an A-Z list of sites with space. 

New system seems only to list approx 20 sites with names starting with A or B. I cannot see how to page forward for the next set of results. 

It also keeps showing me Blackshaw Moor which would be ideal except it's closed on the dates I'd selected. 

SteveL replied on 24/10/2022 16:06

Posted on 24/10/2022 15:45 by Bromptonaut

Trying to book a long weekend in mid November. Location anywhere in England witihn (say) two hours of home. 

On the old system I could just put the dates in then scroll through an A-Z list of sites with space. 

New system seems only to list approx 20 sites with names starting with A or B. I cannot see how to page forward for the next set of results. 

It also keeps showing me Blackshaw Moor which would be ideal except it's closed on the dates I'd selected. 

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:06

The easiest way, unless they bring back the old version of late availability, is probably using the map. Put in your dates then move / zoom the map to your area of interest. Any sites without all the dates available on some sort of pitch will show as full, those with space on all dates will show a price. Unfortunately you can’t filter by pitch type, so would have to go into each individual site to see what types are available.

RedKite replied on 24/10/2022 16:10

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:10

As I had a few issues with trying the new system I ended up with contacting the contact centre and within ten minutes sites booked for next September and the person who did the bookings said they were having a few issues and that is at Head Office, also I needed to book a CL so looked through the area I wanted and found an ideal one also it had an email listed so emailed them and all booked within an hour and had no issues with checking the CL section and found it quite easy but did not bother with the booking system.

As I have said before OH retired IT had a quick look and not impressed at all and said it is very clunky plus a few words not repeatable.

SteveL replied on 24/10/2022 16:11

Posted on 24/10/2022 13:51 by EmilysDad

C&CC seem to manage .. you're able to book a grass pitch with them rather than a patch of gravel.

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:11

You can of course book a grass pitch now with the CAMC. The discussion was about charges for changing after arrival. Do you know what the policy of the C&CC is re changing after arrival?

DavidKlyne replied on 24/10/2022 16:20

Posted on 24/10/2022 15:26 by Navigateur

Having an excuse to make more and more pitches hard is exactly what the "Club" is looking for. And now having so many members who have a motor caravan is a further excuse. Not at all to my liking as I wish to pitch my caraven at one site for a number of days, so the surroundings and view are of sizeable importance, more important than the pitch surface as I am equiped to cope with most.

I have stayed on "hard" surface pitches that were flooded, so picking a pitch type in advance is no guarantee of anything.

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:20

Long before we talked about booking deposits there was a continued demand from members to be able to book a hardstanding pitch if that was what was required. Being able to book pitch surface was fairly standard across the whole camping business, except in the CMC. Having more hardstandings allows the club to extend its season on many sites, most sites with grass pitches usually close at the end of October and don't reopen until March thus restricting member choice. I have been on hardstanding pitches that hold surface water, not sure I would call it flooding, But even with surface water the pitch is still solid under both foot and wheel so unlikely to cause the issues a flooded grass pitch would. 

David

InaD replied on 24/10/2022 16:54

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:06 by SteveL

The easiest way, unless they bring back the old version of late availability, is probably using the map. Put in your dates then move / zoom the map to your area of interest. Any sites without all the dates available on some sort of pitch will show as full, those with space on all dates will show a price. Unfortunately you can’t filter by pitch type, so would have to go into each individual site to see what types are available.

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:54

Any sites without all the dates available on some sort of pitch will show as full.

I had another go last might at looking for sites on the map.  Not to book, but just to see how things were going.  Input dates for January, and a number of sites showed as FULL. 

In actual fact, none of these sites which were showing as FULL, were full, they were empty!  They are all closed during January undecided Perhaps not a major point, but why show sites which are closed, as FULL?  Wishful thinking maybe surprised

Using Samsung tablet on Android, the map is still clunky and taking a long time to settle when searching for sites and zooming in/out.

I see that today, 6 weeks after launch, 8 "issues" have been fixed and 3 more are in the pipeline.  I can't understand how the system was found to be fit for launch in the first place.

DSB replied on 24/10/2022 17:00

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:20 by DavidKlyne

Long before we talked about booking deposits there was a continued demand from members to be able to book a hardstanding pitch if that was what was required. Being able to book pitch surface was fairly standard across the whole camping business, except in the CMC. Having more hardstandings allows the club to extend its season on many sites, most sites with grass pitches usually close at the end of October and don't reopen until March thus restricting member choice. I have been on hardstanding pitches that hold surface water, not sure I would call it flooding, But even with surface water the pitch is still solid under both foot and wheel so unlikely to cause the issues a flooded grass pitch would. 

David

Posted on 24/10/2022 17:00

I agree entirely David.....

David

Graydjames replied on 24/10/2022 17:20

Posted on 24/10/2022 15:26 by Navigateur

Having an excuse to make more and more pitches hard is exactly what the "Club" is looking for. And now having so many members who have a motor caravan is a further excuse. Not at all to my liking as I wish to pitch my caraven at one site for a number of days, so the surroundings and view are of sizeable importance, more important than the pitch surface as I am equiped to cope with most.

I have stayed on "hard" surface pitches that were flooded, so picking a pitch type in advance is no guarantee of anything.

Posted on 24/10/2022 17:20

I have seen, very occasionally, the odd hard standing that has been flooded but almost always this has been coned off - never, to my recollection in use. Such occasions are usually during the times when sites are less busy and closing one or two hard standings has not presented problems.

In any case, as DK rightly suggests, a flooded hard standing is a totally different kettle of fish to a flooded grass pitch.

I don't quite follow the implication that grass pitches should present better surroundings or views. If by surroundings you are referring only to the surface beneath and around you and you regard grass as preferable, then, in this specific respect, I get that, but otherwise? And better views?

We are all different. I detest being on grass. Apart from the obvious risks with a motorhome, I hate the mess that inevitably works its way into the van when pitched on grass. I've had mud from worm casts or bare patches, grass cuttings and the other detritus that comes with vegetation. Ugh!  

Fortunately, I have never had to pitch on grass (except on my very rare visits to all grass sites), but the ability to be certain of having a hard standing is one of the huge advantages of the new system. I have always been in favour of deposits as well and I like being able to pay the whole cost in full before arrival. 

I imagine the club's quest (if that is what it is) to increase the number of hard standings is a reaction to demand rather than some kind of personalised agenda against grass. They certainly don't need an excuse.

EmilysDad replied on 24/10/2022 17:50

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:11 by SteveL

You can of course book a grass pitch now with the CAMC. The discussion was about charges for changing after arrival. Do you know what the policy of the C&CC is re changing after arrival?

Posted on 24/10/2022 17:50

no idea .... I took what I booked.

You seemed to imply that extra charges at caravan club could see the end of grass 

Takethedogalong replied on 24/10/2022 18:59

Posted on 24/10/2022 15:24 by Hja

But this is of no use if you are looking for a site near county borders. Also you may well need to look under several towns. Using a map of sites that easily identifies possible sites and then allows you to access full details is the way this should operate. Until it does the site is not fit for purpose. Whilst we may need to use work arounds for our own benefit we must not let the club think these are solutions.

Posted on 24/10/2022 18:59

Hja, I entirely agree, hence my use of the word “Partial”. I was just trying to assist someone a bit further. Each of us is getting by in terms of finding CLs the best way we can, ours (mainly because I accidentally threw away the HB) is to use SearchforSites, but the information layout for the CLs isn’t the same.

Agree with your latter sentences as well. It’s not fit for purpose, and not a solution. Only keeping pressure up in a variety of ways, will make sure HQ gets the message. I would love to cancel our Membership, but rather liking the CL network, won’t be going down that road……yet. 

Regarding HS pitches, we were astounded at the state of the HS pitches at FM back in March, as JV hints. These were in use pitches as well, small lakes, joined up by the roads. You needed high wellies to step out of your outfit. Mind, the clue is in the name……..😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook