New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

JVB66 replied on 24/10/2022 10:48

Posted on 24/10/2022 10:06 by DavidKlyne

It's the problem of trying to use the same system for two different types of application. DofB and towing vehicle length would be required for Overseas booking but are completely redundant as far as UK bookings are concerned. As they share the same platform I imagine that it is difficult, or perhaps impossible to have two sets of requirements? The trouble for the UK site bookings is that superfluous information is being asked for which in turn slows down the process. Given that the UK site bookings will have a far greater volume of throughput than Overseas it seems the tail is wagging the dog?

David

Posted on 24/10/2022 10:48

That has been the problem from day one and as posted trying to "Bolt" two different types of booking system together was never going to be successful as was being found out by the clubs IT? department when they tried and are still it seems failing to make the UK bookings user friendly 

One could see it was in trouble with the amount of dates that were passed for implementation and still is in trouble but it seems the IT department were put under pressure from the blue sky thinkers of senior management  to introduce a still not fit for purpose system,

How many IT staff turnover there has been since someone thought it would be a good idea?

DSB replied on 24/10/2022 11:21

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:21

Personally, the new app doesn't suit me too well.... I find it a bit cumbersome.

1.  When I search for a site, I usually look over a wide geographical area.  If I put in a search, say for sites in England UK., it will only list the first 20 sites available, in alphabetical order.

2. Although I can now book a pitch surface type, I can't add pitch type to the filter, therefore, you have to go into the detail of the site to find out if there is a serviced pitch available.. .

[3. Once I have gone 'into the detail' of a site, I can't find a way or returning to my original search results...  I have to start the search again from scratch...] - see edit below....

If I have to go into the detail of each site, and them have to restart the search from scratch, I'm finding the easiest way of booking a serviced pitch is by using the list I did of serviced pitches here (https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/list-of-club-sites-with-full-serviced-pitches/) and check each one individually, close to the geographical area I'm looking at.  If I use the app, I end up by having to restart the search everytime anyway, so may just as well go straight to the site where I know there are serviced pitches and search that way......

David

Edit: Thanks to Steve, I now now how to get back to the original search results.... by using the back button at the top of the screen, within the app, and not the 'phone back button' at the bottom of the screen.  My silly error - point 3 is no longer relevant.....

JVB66 replied on 24/10/2022 11:28

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:21 by DSB

Personally, the new app doesn't suit me too well.... I find it a bit cumbersome.

1.  When I search for a site, I usually look over a wide geographical area.  If I put in a search, say for sites in England UK., it will only list the first 20 sites available, in alphabetical order.

2. Although I can now book a pitch surface type, I can't add pitch type to the filter, therefore, you have to go into the detail of the site to find out if there is a serviced pitch available.. .

3. Once I have gone 'into the detail' of a site, I can't find a way or returning to my original search results...  I have to start the search again from scratch...

If I have to go into the detail of each site, and them have to restart the search from scratch, I'm finding the easiest way of booking a serviced pitch is by using the list I did of serviced pitches here (  ) and check each one individually, close to the geographical area I'm looking at.  If I use the app, I end up by having to restart the search everytime anyway, so may just as well go straight to the site where I know there are serviced pitches....

David

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:28

David you being as ever a diplomat  are as may others finding this diabolical system"not fit for purpose"

brue replied on 24/10/2022 11:32

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:32

There is still a report mechanism in the booking experience section but I think many of these "faults" have already been reported and the updated list of fixes and partial fixes gets longer.

I have been able to book a pitch on the new system but I would not like to attempt multiple bookings and would probably be timed out! 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/booking-experience/

DSB replied on 24/10/2022 11:47

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:28 by JVB66

David you being as ever a diplomat  are as may others finding this diabolical system"not fit for purpose"

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:47

😃😃

The only advantage I can see of the new app is the ability to book hardstandings or grass pitches at the time of booking.  In other aspects, although the old app was nowhere near perfect, it was better than the new one....  just my opinion, of course. 😉

I used to like to be able to search e.g. a radius of × miles from a geographical location...  in list view, it would tell you if there were serviced pitches available for your dates, if you put that in the search as the type of pitch you were looking for.

I will, of course, be passing on my thoughts....

David

DSB replied on 24/10/2022 11:50

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:32 by brue

There is still a report mechanism in the booking experience section but I think many of these "faults" have already been reported and the updated list of fixes and partial fixes gets longer.

I have been able to book a pitch on the new system but I would not like to attempt multiple bookings and would probably be timed out! 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/booking-experience/

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:50

I've not even tried multiple bookings, as yet, Brue.  To be honest, this is not such an issue for me, as it we stay at different sites on a long trip, some of those sites will include non-club sites anyway...

David

Navigateur replied on 24/10/2022 11:51

Posted on 24/10/2022 11:51

Having to choose "hard" or "soft" before arriving at the site to see what things look like is NOT an advantage.  It is a great disincentive to be forced onto a particular pitch type chosen blindly when much nicer pitches of the other variety are lying empty.

Reading loosly some of the above posts, to change pitch type will incur a charge of £27.

Rowena replied on 24/10/2022 12:00

Posted on 24/10/2022 12:00

I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend. It was great to see so many of you at the Club stand during the Motorhome and Caravan Show last week!

We would like to thank you all for your patience with the new booking system. We're continually listening to member feedback and we are now providing regular updates of fixes made and upcoming fixes on our website. 

To read the fixes, learn more about the new system or to watch how to videos, follow the link: Booking Experience

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook