New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

replied on 20/10/2022 10:45

Posted on 19/10/2022 22:16 by DavidKlyne

Brue

I suspect it's because they seem to be using Google as the base for the search facility. Whilst they are going to filter out the USA, but not Europe, according to one comment by the Club  I wonder  that is the extent of the possible filtering? Not very satisfactory I appreciate.

David

Posted on 20/10/2022 10:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Mikenbike replied on 20/10/2022 12:17

Posted on 20/10/2022 12:17

Any system which has been lifted up and then bolted clumsily onto a global search facility, when the vast majority of stays booked are in the UK, is pretty much doomed to failure, UNLESS careful steps have been taken to filter by country right at the start of one's search. 

It goes without saying that such a filter should feature prominently and should actually work. 

DavidKlyne replied on 20/10/2022 12:46

Posted on 20/10/2022 10:45 by

I doubt they are using Google as there is another hiccup in the system.  You can't, or at least on my system, it does not recognise cut and pasted location.  One is required to actually type in the info. 

Also if they can't filter the location area then why have different tabs for Overseas and UK?

Posted on 20/10/2022 12:46

I was going by a reply to one of the reviews on Trustpilot, which said:-

Reply from Caravan and Motorhome Club (previously The Caravan Club)

2 days ago
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I am sorry you have found the new system to be disappointing. In the background some updates have been made on which Google service we use which have already made improvements over the last few days on the accuracy of search, and the final stage is to remove results coming back from the US and Canada.This final fix should be done by the end of this week, in the meantime please be assured that results coming back for the USA is a temporary issue and it will be Europe only. We do appreciate your patience during this time, we do understand that some of the obstacles have been frustrating~Jamie

It looks as if you are still going to get European place names crop up in the search so I imagine the selection of either UK Sites or European Sites by tab might not solve the problem? This is such a basic problem it should have been sorted well before any member tried to use it?

SteveL replied on 20/10/2022 12:55

Posted on 20/10/2022 08:24 by cyberyacht

Given the length of time it takes to find out the cost per night to stay on a club site, I wonder how many will just visit a commercial website where the information is available in a couple of clicks. Life is too short to waste time trying to find out how much a stay on a CAMC site is.

Posted on 20/10/2022 12:55

It’s actually fairly quick CY.

Type in site you are interested in.

Press Search

Press check availability.

Indicate how many are staying and pitch type

The total price per night is shown on the calendar and can be quickly scrolled forward. Or you can put in dates.

Just checked took all of 30seconds.

JVB66 replied on 20/10/2022 13:49

Posted on 20/10/2022 12:46 by DavidKlyne

2 days ago
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I am sorry you have found the new system to be disappointing. In the background some updates have been made on which Google service we use which have already made improvements over the last few days on the accuracy of search, and the final stage is to remove results coming back from the US and Canada.This final fix should be done by the end of this week, in the meantime please be assured that results coming back for the USA is a temporary issue and it will be Europe only. We do appreciate your patience during this time, we do understand that some of the obstacles have been frustrating~Jamie

It looks as if you are still going to get European place names crop up in the search so I imagine the selection of either UK Sites or European Sites by tab might not solve the problem? This is such a basic problem it should have been sorted well before any member tried to use it?

Posted on 20/10/2022 13:49

The it seems , expensive ammendments to what was supposed to be a better system than the previous user friendly system,  just go to show that trying to use the overseas booking system by just "bolting on?"the UK sites was not as good an idea as the EGH club blue sky thinkers first thoughtundecided

InaD replied on 20/10/2022 13:52

Posted on 20/10/2022 13:52

First time of checking on Android smartphone (Nokia). Not impressed. This was a dummy booking. Input site name and dates. Then clicked on Check Availability. At the top of the next page, it says :  Scroll down to view campsite availability by pitch type.

I didn't scroll down straight away, as underneath that it asks for car/unit details etc, and it let me complete those details. I then scrolled down and found 2 nights were not available. 

Why doesn't it state straight away, at the top of the page, there is no availability? Instead it will let you complete all details before finding out. Ok, I now know that, but in my mind that's hardly user friendly. I've booked CLs online whose systems are far more sophisticated and tell you straight off wheter they have availability as soon as you put dates in.

The other thing is that the site and dates I input was for the same site and dates I've already booked (on old system, one of 2 sites I'd booked). But although I was logged in, it didn't tell me I already had a booking for those dates. I'm sure that the old system did, as soon as you put dates in. I'd once got dates mixed up, where I input an arrival date before departure date on previous site and the message came up straight away. Presumably at some point it would have told me I'd already got a booking for those dates but I suspect only after completing all details 🙄

So, still not impressed I'm afraid 😟

JVB66 replied on 20/10/2022 15:33

Posted on 20/10/2022 15:33

I have been trying to amend a booking. For Dec this year but because it is such  convoluted way of doing it ,  I went via the clubs telephone number and found out by talking to the lovely lady with a Scots accent who was based amongst others in GLASGOW surprised

One of the items missing from my bookings was my mobile number which the lady could not understand as it is available as always been on my bookings wink

JVB66 replied on 20/10/2022 16:16

Posted on 20/10/2022 08:24 by cyberyacht

Given the length of time it takes to find out the cost per night to stay on a club site, I wonder how many will just visit a commercial website where the information is available in a couple of clicks. Life is too short to waste time trying to find out how much a stay on a CAMC site is.

Posted on 20/10/2022 16:16

I have tried and failed to amend a club booking for this Dec and while attempting and failing to do so noticed that the pitch prices  were different and as the grass pitches are closed at that time of year noted the price was for a grass pitchundecidedwhich then had altered by two pound more for a hardstanding pitch when I tried again? so used the booking number ? See earlier post

brue replied on 20/10/2022 16:27

Posted on 20/10/2022 12:46 by DavidKlyne

2 days ago

Posted on 20/10/2022 16:27

Yes, I've been following this "development" but can't understand the strange mixture of places that come up, some with complete addresses others with just a place name. I'm half expecting to find the Rovers in Coronation St when I look up Weatherfield! 

Just can't understand why it was signed off as functional, what was the testing all about? Oh well when "all the saints come marching in" it will be fun, St Moritz to St Mawes....wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook