Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

nelliethehooker replied on 31/12/2020 20:40

Posted on 31/12/2020 20:03 by Wherenext

I don't think Fakenham will be missed that much although every site lost reduces the number of pitches available and might make CLs in the area, of which there are quite a lot, harder to book.

Posted on 31/12/2020 20:40

Some of them were hard enough to get on this year, so could well be much harder in the future.

That's another club site less in East Anglia, after the loss of Mildenhall last year.

Takethedogalong replied on 31/12/2020 21:11

Posted on 31/12/2020 21:11

Fakenham runs its own independent site, so that’s why it might have parted company with the Club. It was always first choice for us over IF and Cromer, we prefer to be more in that area. Never been to Sandringham Site, although I have been to House.

Wherenext replied on 31/12/2020 21:19

Posted on 31/12/2020 21:11 by Takethedogalong

Fakenham runs its own independent site, so that’s why it might have parted company with the Club. It was always first choice for us over IF and Cromer, we prefer to be more in that area. Never been to Sandringham Site, although I have been to House.

Posted on 31/12/2020 21:19

Some decent CLs in and around South Creake Ttda. Same area.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/01/2021 21:10

Posted on 01/01/2021 21:10

Oh yes😁 It’s an area we are very familiar with. Our bolt hole is a CS near Binham. Just us, a field and usually a dozen hares👍 Went past South Creake in October, very nice looking small Sites, should we need more.

Phishing replied on 02/01/2021 21:32

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:16 by Tinwheeler

To a certain extent, I too sympathise with the OP, Freddy, but we all need to realise the ways around a situation are often in our own hands.

You worked out a solution to your issue at St David’s and it's just one example of how being proactive brings the desired result. What I find unpalatable is people not accepting it is their own circumstances or actions which create difficulties and then expecting the club to change its ways in order to accommodate their situation. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case with the OP, btw.

Posted on 02/01/2021 21:32

Yes the ways around are in our own hands, its easy.

You book every weekend on the day they are released. This totally suits the minority of members that do this.

They claim to be the organized ones, just book everything and you get what you want, its the way the club is structured.

You can then take your time and pick and choose or cancel as you wish. This is being organised, some may say selfish but its within the rules.

If you dont do this then you can have whats cancelled, the ones they dont want.

I would suggest:

3 advanced bookings per member, 6 month rolling.

Max 2 cancellations per year and then you pay the full cost.

2 visits to any one site per year.

These people are soooooo organized this should not be a problem, they get three planned trips per year and then take their chances for a cancellation as they they keep recommending this to others so it must work.

They are totally organized so the cancellation cost clause should not be a problem.

PS not a cat in hells chance of this happening. The club will not change until it is too late, and then it will be too late. The commercials platforms are growing exponentially, the CLs are diminishing, the affiliates will align with the commercial platforms and many will do what I do which is use them. Booking anything more than a midweek is virtually impossible to a lot of the membership. 

SteveL replied on 03/01/2021 08:16

Posted on 03/01/2021 08:16

3 advanced bookings per member, 6 month rolling.

For last September we booked in advance / stayed at 8 CAMC sites in just under 4 weeks. This is fairly typical now we have a MH. For next May / June we have 16 sites booked (transferred from this year)  10 of those are CAMC.  If what you suggest was introduced, there would be little point in us remaining members. The club would therefore loose bookings which in a normal year total well over a thousand pounds, to the advantage of others. 

At the times we tour the sites are very rarely full, so that loss would be largely actual, as the spaces would not necessarily be filled by others.

Sounds a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas.🤔

cyberyacht replied on 03/01/2021 09:13

Posted on 03/01/2021 09:13

I'd be surprised if the CAMC system could cope with the complexity of Phishing's suggestion. SteveL has highlighted the problem for those who would plan a fairly complex tour in advance. I would still submit that if there really is a problem with "all" sites being fully booked well in advance, then my suggestion at the beginning of the thread would "level the playing field" (Now where have I heard that phrase wink).

"..a relatively high deposit(50% for 6 days+bookings, 100% for 5days-bookings) be required for bookings for more than say three months in advance with it being non-refundable if less than one months notice being given. That would enable long-term planners to secure their chosen holiday whilst discouraging speculative "weekend squatters".

Could CAMC booking system cope with this. I have my suspicions and this may be the real reason why nothing happens.

Cornersteady replied on 03/01/2021 09:27

Posted on 03/01/2021 09:27

The commercials platforms are growing exponentially,

Really any proof of this? As Hannah Fry would say, over what time frame and what fraction?

As TDA said somewhere the aim of any organisation is to sell it's products as many times as possible. In this case it's pitches. The club, or any anyone selling, doesn't care who it is or how many times a person buys it.

I would easily use up your suggested 3 bookings in one two weeks away, two stay overs - going and coming and one main holiday so how could I get three planned trips per year? I don't think you have thought this out?

Sorry you get going on about the club failing (for a long time) but the reality is that people can't get pitches. Hardly failing?

I think as been said people just want to change the club to get what they cannot get hat they want.

eurortraveller replied on 03/01/2021 09:35

Posted on 03/01/2021 09:35

My sort of touring....I set off in a morning without a booking but with a firm plan in mind, but I get tired or get lost so I stop somewhere else.

Next day the sun is out, so I decide to stay where I am and go for lunch.  By the third day I get to the site I was aiming for,  but for one reason or another find I don't like it very much, so instead of staying for a week I move on after a couple of days. 

I wish you all the best of luck in persuading the Club to change its booking system to suit your needs , but I never could see them accommodating my sort of touring,  so I bowed out of Club sites altogether. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook