Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

JVB66 replied on 03/01/2021 10:26

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:16 by SteveL

I think the difference is JVB when there we just roll up and 9 times out of 10 a pitch is available. The sites generally have pools and other facilities if that's what one wants. I'm not sure how viable that sort of touring would be here, at those sorts of sites, in May, June and September.

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:26

And unless things have changed a lot since we did "over there" the sites with pools etc are also much bigger than over here,so i would expect some space available 

Hillhead club site would have pitches available out of the main school holiday periods

JVB66 replied on 03/01/2021 10:30

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:20 by

Yes but there are so many "peak periods " here and they spread many days each side on a public holiday.  The one occasion in 20 years we came close to being turned away from a site was Good Friday 2017 however by Easter Sunday the site was emptying out and ACSI rates returned. How long is Easter Here?

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:30

I do not understand why overseas sites have shorter holiday periods?and subsequently less busy, 

I think as you have posted ,the site which you have a reserved pitch iis quite large?

MikeyA replied on 03/01/2021 10:33

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:00 by Takethedogalong

AD, trust me, it is possible to tour spontaneously in UK, even in a pandemic year. Not via exclusively Club Sites, but with the kind of open mind you use overseas regarding a variety of Sites. We did a 5 Site tour last September (case rates were good, everyone hit the road) I booked our second site a couple of nights in front, knowing it would be very busy, then we winged it the rest of the tour, including our first night stop over. Even got a pitch on a real Northumberland plum everyone raves about. Nothing to do with bad weather cancellations either, it was glorious. 😁

I have just checked out availability on four Summer holiday type Sites, two in Cornwall, one in Devon, one on East Coast. Every single one has every single weekend with pitch availability. What  are going fast are the finite number of serviced pitches, but by no means all booked. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:33

We are generally late bookers and start our tour with only the first one or two sites booked, further sites are booked a day or two ahead. However, what we don't do in this country is set off down a narrow country lane hoping that the CS/CL/small site has room for us.  I would be very surprised ttda if you would do the same with your caravan or even campervan. 

The difference abroad is that is exactly what we do.

JVB66 replied on 03/01/2021 10:43

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:33 by MikeyA

We are generally late bookers and start our tour with only the first one or two sites booked, further sites are booked a day or two ahead. However, what we don't do in this country is set off down a narrow country lane hoping that the CS/CL/small site has room for us.  I would be very surprised ttda if you would do the same with your caravan or even campervan. 

The difference abroad is that is exactly what we do.

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:43

As posted by others before , in a much larger country with many more sites (although also for quite a few a short opening season?) then i would expect to do as you seem to?

replied on 03/01/2021 10:56

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:30 by JVB66

I do not understand why overseas sites have shorter holiday periods?and subsequently less busy, 

I think as you have posted ,the site which you have a reserved pitch iis quite large?

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 03/01/2021 11:10

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:10

Mikel, yes we do.πŸ˜‚ The one thing that has never balked us is the width of the road. If it fits, it goes down, even if one of us has to get out and give hand signals. (We do of course pay heed to road width signs.) We got off Dartmoor with around four inch per side of motorhome a couple of years ago. It took us about a couple of extra minutes taking it carefully, but a couple of minutes is nothing having spent two nice weeks exploring somewhere we love. Our favourite CL in Cornwall was down a one car width lane, we spent weeks per year, for 15 years doing this with a caravan. We aren’t the problem, OH can reverse. It’s those we meet other way that can’t that are the problem.

Mind, I agree that in this day and age of the mobile phone and email, if it’s somewhere unknown, down somewhere that looks narrow on the map, I have the common sense to call Site before venturing down the very narrow bit. 

We have taken our MH up Simonside, up Long Mynd, up the narrow NY Moors valleys. It’s what we bought if for, not to simply drive from Site to site via motorways and dual carriageways.

Edge of Caerhays Beach, down on Roseland in Cornwall. An “interesting” drive to get thereπŸ˜‚

replied on 03/01/2021 11:35

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 03/01/2021 11:42

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:26 by JVB66

And unless things have changed a lot since we did "over there" the sites with pools etc are also much bigger than over here,so i would expect some space available 

Hillhead club site would have pitches available out of the main school holiday periods

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:42

I think the question is, "would you feel comfortable just turning up when touring," no phoning ahead, no checking availability, just picking a site and going for it.

For me in the UK the answer is no. I don't dispute that with phone calls and a fair degree of flexibility some sort of ad hoc  touring would be possible. However,  it would remove the pleasure of the spontaneity.

Takethedogalong replied on 03/01/2021 11:48

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:48

It’s a tiny island, with a huge touring community, even more so after this year. It doesn’t get easier admittedly.

Once we get the chance to go overseas, the boring, not very nice part for us will be simply hopping over the Channel. I loathe ferries, it’s a drag down to the Tunnel. We would be going over for a long time to make it worth it. 

JVB66 replied on 03/01/2021 13:59

Posted on 03/01/2021 10:56 by

I don't have a problem  with large  sites or small. One favourite where we do actually  reserve a particular pitch is vast by uk standards i.e 3000 guests  another has 15 pitches and we dont. 

Posted on 03/01/2021 13:59

As my post to Mickeywink

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook