Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

NutsyH replied on 26/09/2018 17:28

Posted on 26/09/2018 17:17 by Bakers2

Hopefully we can stay a rabies free country. If there was a chance of it being an issue it needs to be put back into place asap 😉

Posted on 26/09/2018 17:28

Uninformed comments don't help. To get a passport, a dog has to be microchipped for identification purposes AND have an up to date Rabies inoculation. Without that, the quarantine rules still apply.

replied on 26/09/2018 18:40

Posted on 26/09/2018 07:59 by huskydog

That's typical,just as I get my passport,I looks like Europe won't let me in !!wink

buy seriously , do people really think that we will be stopped from traveling across Europe? ,they (Europe) need us to spend our money as much as we need them 

remember the panic over the miliumium bug ? ,nothing happened then 

Posted on 26/09/2018 18:40

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

huskydog replied on 26/09/2018 18:43

Posted on 26/09/2018 18:40 by
  • HD  It was no panic other than ill informed rubbish in the media, there was a very real threat  that major computer systems  systems were going to fail without significant alterations being made to them.  It was a long and expensive process  to ensure it did not happen to any noticeable degree. However some systems became obsolete overnight including the human resource system I was responsible for due to the way dates were calculated and entirely new systems had to be purchased.
  • Overall it was a rare triumph in an industry better known for its failures

Posted on 26/09/2018 18:43

I stand corrected cool

JollyKernow replied on 26/09/2018 19:43

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:30 by brue

It could be getting back here that will be the problem....who knows, lets hope all will be ok. wink

Posted on 26/09/2018 19:43

Ha, If they don't let us back in there'll be many sites next year without wardens!!winkyell

JK

Traficlady replied on 27/09/2018 07:16

Posted on 26/09/2018 09:32 by DJG

The quarantine was a UK requirement, nothing to do with being in or out of the EU, so it would be the remainers who will impose it!

Just like the need for International Driving Licenses, more rubbish. Yes you might need one, but they are Permits, not Licenses and cost £5.50 from most Post Offices.

The 29th March is the height of the influx of Dutch Daffs and Tulips. as they now won't be coming over, there will be a lot more room for us caravaners on the ferries.

Posted on 27/09/2018 07:16

The pet passport is a UK requirement too, only required for coming back into this country.

Nora

Kennine replied on 27/09/2018 10:25

Posted on 27/09/2018 10:25

We were all able to travel and tour Europe long before the advent of the EU. We were able to buy property and live in Europe long before the EU was formed . Nothing much will change with Brexit, we will still have to change our currency from sterling to the euro, still have to learn some of the language of the country/s we wish to tour, we will still have to go through customs at either end. we might possibly see an end to bucket airlines like Ryanair ( no bad thing IMHO ), Ferries will still run as normal. Despite what the doom mongers are predicting, life for the UK citizen will carry on as usual.  smile

smile

David2115 replied on 27/09/2018 17:30

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:07 by GrandpaGraham

What no one seems to take into account is that whilst the Euro is down 15% the FTSE 100 Index is up by 20% or so since the vote. As I spend no more than 6 weeks on the continent each year I am happy to accept that costs may be slightly higher knowing that my pension and investment portfolios have grown by 20% over the same period. I know this is not a caravan linked comment but as they say," where there is a cloud there is a silver lining"

Posted on 27/09/2018 17:30

Pound v euro and pound v dollar is better than it was in 2008. By some margin. World markets affect the rate. 

David2115 replied on 27/09/2018 17:33

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:11 by Metheven

No one thinks we will be stopped from travelling, my small concern is Brexit end of March 2019 and we always set off mid April. It is this short transition period that that sets me thinking have I the time to have in place all that is required. It means my forward planning is curtailed a little because its all up in the air, which would be fine if we were setting off late summer 2019.

Posted on 27/09/2018 17:33

Won’t you just drive to passport control like you do now and go through customs , like you do now. I can’t see why it would be any different. 

redface replied on 28/09/2018 20:25

Posted on 28/09/2018 20:25

"It was no panic other than ill informed rubbish in the media,"

So nothing has changed then! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook