Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

ValDa replied on 28/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 28/09/2018 20:25 by redface

"It was no panic other than ill informed rubbish in the media,"

So nothing has changed then! 

Posted on 28/09/2018 22:07

I worked in the NHS at the time of the 'Millenium Bug', running a computer based 'access to all medical records' system (long before the debacle which was NPFiT) - and had to be in work from 9.00 pm on 31/12/1999 until 9.00 am on 01/01/2000.  Believe me if you worked in IT  it wasn't a 'Media threat' but the possibility of an actual meltdown.  Fortunately our in-house designed software involved only a few lines of  new 'code' to make sure systems worked - and they did............... so a few hours after midnight,  when everyone could still get access, we were all allowed to go off shift.

But to be fair, Brexit is a much bigger issue - and needs bigger brains to sort out a solution!

Philnffc replied on 28/09/2018 22:38

Posted on 28/09/2018 22:38

Hi

Most people on here know we live in Spain and I see a lot of comments saying nothing as changed and nothing will change but for most ex-pats and this is not a moan but at the moment I'm 150 down on my pension since Brexit and the average seems to be about 225 for most ex-pats I speak too. Before anyone  makes the comment of market fluctuations which I agree dose happen occasionally but this was self inflicted.

Anyway enjoy your weekend while we make do with our measly  pension.

Phil

P.S Banks here say they may not recognise British Debit/Credit cards after Brexit, no mention in the MSM back in the UK. lol

iansoady replied on 29/09/2018 10:11

Posted on 29/09/2018 10:11

What Val says is absolutely true. One of my colleagues was part of the team co-ordinating the process across the NHS from the centre and I saw just how much effort went into it. Every single system and device had to be checked: some needed to be scrapped as they couldn't be modified (supplier gone out of business etc), some could be updated, some were OK.

He took early retirement soon after as the effort and responsibility ground him down so much.

As regards Brexit, it's not brains that are needed just a recognition that it's the most self destructive thing this country has ever engaged in.

IanTG replied on 29/09/2018 10:52

Posted on 29/09/2018 10:52

Whilst I am not (at this point in time) either for or against Brexit, surely all people can judge on is the journey towards Brexit. The actual effects of Brexit will not be apparent for some time, years I would say.

thats no different to when we joined EU - many of the so called positive or negative aspects only emerged years afterwards.

exactly the same for its effect on travelers heading forEurope - the concrete fact is - there are no facts! They will only emerge later. 

Why expend energy worrying?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/09/2018 19:59

Posted on 28/09/2018 22:38 by Philnffc

Hi

Most people on here know we live in Spain and I see a lot of comments saying nothing as changed and nothing will change but for most ex-pats and this is not a moan but at the moment I'm 150 down on my pension since Brexit and the average seems to be about 225 for most ex-pats I speak too. Before anyone  makes the comment of market fluctuations which I agree dose happen occasionally but this was self inflicted.

Anyway enjoy your weekend while we make do with our measly  pension.

Phil

P.S Banks here say they may not recognise British Debit/Credit cards after Brexit, no mention in the MSM back in the UK. lol

Posted on 29/09/2018 19:59

I thought the cards carried the weight & guarantees from Visa/Amex/MasterCard etc, they are international not purely British🤔

DJG replied on 30/09/2018 10:07

Posted on 30/09/2018 10:07

More good news!!

As so many people are worried about going abroad this Spring it will mean less queues at the ports and more choice in campsites popular with Brits. Also there might be  price reductions, as so many less, will be travelling on the ferries/tunnel.

Here's hoping.

LeTouriste replied on 02/10/2018 14:52

Posted on 02/10/2018 14:52

We are still planning our annual trip to France, and hope to do so again in 2019.  But I do fear some backlash from the tit-for-tat behaviour on both sides. Theresa May, in supposedly trying to get a deal with the EU, could have already started problems by the decision to change the UK passports back to blue.  It smacks of schoolyard stupidity, is totally unnecessary, and is a first step to further bureaucratic trivia.

Severe customs allowances are almost certain to return - the bullying do-gooders with nothing better to do than lobby the government with arguments "for our better welfare" will see to that!

I have always hoped that Brexit would collapse before March 2019, but news broadcasts seem the indicate exit regardless.

Camping holidays in the UK are already flooded by demand at peak periods, and those staying in the UK can expect both private campsites and the Clubs to take advantage of that demand in the form of artificial price increases.  Our current caravan is in its 7th year and we have already decided that it will not be replaced with a newer one - its eventual demise will coincide with our departure from caravanning.

paul56 replied on 06/10/2018 16:21

Posted on 06/10/2018 16:21

We were lucky enough to spent 3 weeks in France in June (using rented gites/hotels) and another 3 weeks in September using the caravan and I was staggered (especially in the September holiday) at just how many GB plates we saw. All I can gather from this is that no-one seems unduly worried at the mo - or they are getting their fix before its too late! As for me, not worrying and will see how it goes. I suspect our EU friends would miss the vast amount of euros that must be generated if things were made difficult and more people did holiday at home.

GVD replied on 06/10/2018 17:36

Posted on 06/10/2018 17:36

Quote...I suspect our EU friends would miss the vast amount of euros that must be generated if things were made difficult and more people did holiday at home.

Totally agree with above. We spent 8 weeks in France, in various areas, using municipal sites to "singing and dancing sites", and the amount of British we saw, might as well stayed at home cool

have already booked ferry for next year..looking forward. 

C Williams replied on 07/10/2018 17:50

Posted on 06/10/2018 16:21 by paul56

We were lucky enough to spent 3 weeks in France in June (using rented gites/hotels) and another 3 weeks in September using the caravan and I was staggered (especially in the September holiday) at just how many GB plates we saw. All I can gather from this is that no-one seems unduly worried at the mo - or they are getting their fix before its too late! As for me, not worrying and will see how it goes. I suspect our EU friends would miss the vast amount of euros that must be generated if things were made difficult and more people did holiday at home.

Posted on 07/10/2018 17:50

As one of the many GB plates you may have seen, I can assure you we'll be back next year. I think by nature caravanners/m'homers are more intrepid than the average traveller. We have to be prepared for all sorts of hiccups and cope with most of them with a smile (if sometimes a rueful smile). We'll all manage one way or another, determined to continue to enjoy all that's different (not always better!), over there. 😛

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook