Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Traficlady replied on 26/09/2018 08:32

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:32

The pet passport is of concern to us. The thing that would stop us going is if they brought back the six months quarantine. 

Otherwise im just going to wait and see. 

Nora

Longtimecaravanner replied on 26/09/2018 08:40

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:40

We always go to France for May and early June and I think next year we will just have a holiday in this country at that time. When things have had time to settle down we will go in September.

As others have said we went before the EU without too much of a problem and those in the tourist industry will still want our money. I for one will be happy for them to have it.

DJG replied on 26/09/2018 09:32

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:32 by Traficlady

The pet passport is of concern to us. The thing that would stop us going is if they brought back the six months quarantine. 

Otherwise im just going to wait and see. 

Nora

Posted on 26/09/2018 09:32

The quarantine was a UK requirement, nothing to do with being in or out of the EU, so it would be the remainers who will impose it!

Just like the need for International Driving Licenses, more rubbish. Yes you might need one, but they are Permits, not Licenses and cost £5.50 from most Post Offices.

The 29th March is the height of the influx of Dutch Daffs and Tulips. as they now won't be coming over, there will be a lot more room for us caravaners on the ferries.

replied on 26/09/2018 15:46

Posted on 26/09/2018 15:46

Moderator Comment - Political comment removed. Please keep this thread focused on the possible affect of travelling within the EU. 

NutsyH replied on 26/09/2018 16:13

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:13

Green Cards for insurance, International Driving licence needed. I remember them well from Pre EU days, and it was no hassle then so why would it be now? Big black and white GB stickers on the back? Some peeps still have those ugly things, but again what's the problem?

Regarding dog passports, that would be a deal breaker for me, but I don't see why there should be a problem unless our useless Politicians cause one. Since when did our French friends ever want a dog passport? It is the Brit end that wants it for re-entry at the moment. Once through the tunnel, in travels all over Europe, my dog has never had to produce her passport, apart from at the vets just before return, until she reaches the tunnel / ferry on the way back. Maybe if she got caught speeding she would need it, but would probably dodge that by blaming me :-)))

Wherenext replied on 26/09/2018 16:37

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:37

remember the panic over the miliumium bug ? ,nothing happened then

Husky, I think the CMC went out and bought the system with it in as they saw it being sold on the cheap.They decided to dump it on the Forum.smile

Oneputt replied on 26/09/2018 16:40

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:40

The 6 month quarantine was a U.K. requirement as parts of continental Europe were rife with rabies 

Bakers2 replied on 26/09/2018 17:17

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:40 by Oneputt

The 6 month quarantine was a U.K. requirement as parts of continental Europe were rife with rabies 

Posted on 26/09/2018 17:17

Hopefully we can stay a rabies free country. If there was a chance of it being an issue it needs to be put back into place asap 😉

Bakers2 replied on 26/09/2018 17:18

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:37 by Wherenext

remember the panic over the miliumium bug ? ,nothing happened then

Husky, I think the CMC went out and bought the system with it in as they saw it being sold on the cheap.They decided to dump it on the Forum.smile

Posted on 26/09/2018 17:18

Many a true word ..............

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook