Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Oneputt replied on 25/09/2018 20:09

Posted on 25/09/2018 20:09

Ehic card is valid in the EEA and covers the 27 EU countries plus Iceland, Norway etc etc. It is highly likely to remain in one form or another

nelliethehooker replied on 25/09/2018 21:23

Posted on 25/09/2018 21:23

Won't bother us, and I think many thousands like us, in the slightest. There are more than enough places in this country (UK) for us to visit, as we are finding new places every time we go away.

ValDa replied on 25/09/2018 21:44

Posted on 25/09/2018 21:44

Our first 'camping' travel in Europe,was with a 'motorhome' (Bedford Adventura, with double bed over the cab and another in the rear of the van, shower and toilet!!!!) was in 1976 when we visited Czechoslovakia to meet up with pen friends.  We had to exchange a guaranteed amount of money, visit a police station every day during our visit, and couldn't bring any of our money back out again, so gave it to our penfriends when we left.  We had an absolutely great time then.  It was different - it may be different again in 2019 - but we'll get by! 

They won't ban us entirely - they need the income!  Stop worrying

lornalou1 replied on 25/09/2018 22:53

Posted on 25/09/2018 22:53

Moderator Comment - Political comment removed. Please keep this thread focused on the possible affect of travelling within the EU.

KjellNN replied on 26/09/2018 00:10

Posted on 26/09/2018 00:10

Having tried to persuade friends and family in Norway to vote to join the EU, they are actually in it in all but the legal formalities, I am unhappy that it seems we are leaving, but optomistic that we will either get a deal or a new vote.

Whatever happens, we will still travel aboad if we wish, we did it before EU membership, cannot see it being more difficult in the future.

replied on 26/09/2018 07:47

Posted on 25/09/2018 21:23 by nelliethehooker

Won't bother us, and I think many thousands like us, in the slightest. There are more than enough places in this country (UK) for us to visit, as we are finding new places every time we go away.

Posted on 26/09/2018 07:47

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

huskydog replied on 26/09/2018 07:59

Posted on 26/09/2018 07:59

That's typical,just as I get my passport,I looks like Europe won't let me in !!wink

buy seriously , do people really think that we will be stopped from traveling across Europe? ,they (Europe) need us to spend our money as much as we need them 

remember the panic over the miliumium bug ? ,nothing happened then 

Metheven replied on 26/09/2018 08:11

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:11

No one thinks we will be stopped from travelling, my small concern is Brexit end of March 2019 and we always set off mid April. It is this short transition period that that sets me thinking have I the time to have in place all that is required. It means my forward planning is curtailed a little because its all up in the air, which would be fine if we were setting off late summer 2019.

brue replied on 26/09/2018 08:30

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:30

It could be getting back here that will be the problem....who knows, lets hope all will be ok. wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook