Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

dmiller555 replied on 25/09/2018 08:13

Posted on 25/09/2018 08:13

It is a complete mess that benefits only the wealthy few.

We brought our caravan immediately after the referendum, guessing that the result would lead to increased foreign travel difficulty and cost, even so the devaluation of sterling has already affected our spending.

Isolationism has never worked and I doubt that it can be made to work here in Little Britain either. 

I hope to get a few more years touring out of our van before currency inflation takes it away. 

DavidKlyne replied on 25/09/2018 09:01

Posted on 25/09/2018 09:01

All that Brexit will do in terms of travel is turn the clock back 25/30 years. Once through border checks between the UK and Europe you will be free to travel more or less as you do now. There could be other inconveniences for pet owners and as yet we have no idea what will happen to the EHIC which until that is cleared up could be a big worry for some and no doubt add to insurance costs. Maybe campsites will insist of retaining passports during a stay for non EU nationals? You might need an International Driving Permit. You might not be able to bring as much wine backwink. Whether we tour abroad again very much depends on our health and confidence rather than the affect of Brexit. Personally worrying about going on holiday in Europe is the least of your worries as far as Brexit is concerned!!!

David

brue replied on 25/09/2018 09:28

Posted on 25/09/2018 09:28

The subject has become a bit like the Millenium Bug will anything actually happen or not?  We can only guess till we get nearer the time. I agree with DK's post, it's the least thing on my mind just now. But I hope that those who spend a lot of time travelling abroad will still be able to do so nearly as easily as before, after all they want your money...smile

GrandpaGraham replied on 25/09/2018 10:07

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:07

What no one seems to take into account is that whilst the Euro is down 15% the FTSE 100 Index is up by 20% or so since the vote. As I spend no more than 6 weeks on the continent each year I am happy to accept that costs may be slightly higher knowing that my pension and investment portfolios have grown by 20% over the same period. I know this is not a caravan linked comment but as they say," where there is a cloud there is a silver lining"

replied on 25/09/2018 11:29

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:07 by GrandpaGraham

What no one seems to take into account is that whilst the Euro is down 15% the FTSE 100 Index is up by 20% or so since the vote. As I spend no more than 6 weeks on the continent each year I am happy to accept that costs may be slightly higher knowing that my pension and investment portfolios have grown by 20% over the same period. I know this is not a caravan linked comment but as they say," where there is a cloud there is a silver lining"

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 25/09/2018 11:40

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:40

The whole thing could end up with just being a storm in a teacup with just minor adjustments to the way we do things when we go to Europe. An extra 5 minutes or so at passport control is not going to impact on anyone's holiday. From the Club point of view if the opposite proves to be the case and as a result less members decide to travel abroad with their units that will have an impact on Club income with less insurance and less ferry bookings. That risks the ability of the Clun to continue investing in UK campsites unless it leads to a greater uptake of stays on the UK sites.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 25/09/2018 11:52

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:52

It would have been really useful to have some idea of what we were actually voting for at the time of the vote, but hey ho, it's done and we have to endure/enjoy whatever comes of it now. Having no experience of taking a touring outfit overseas, have nothing to use as a comparison. So we shall just get on with it regardless when the fancy takes us. If taking a tourer proves expensive, we shall consider other options.

If we were 20 years younger, emigration would be on the cards. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook