Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Boff replied on 25/09/2018 11:54

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:07 by GrandpaGraham

What no one seems to take into account is that whilst the Euro is down 15% the FTSE 100 Index is up by 20% or so since the vote. As I spend no more than 6 weeks on the continent each year I am happy to accept that costs may be slightly higher knowing that my pension and investment portfolios have grown by 20% over the same period. I know this is not a caravan linked comment but as they say," where there is a cloud there is a silver lining"

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:54

I think you find it is the pound has gone down not the euro.  The reason why the FTSE 100 has gone up is that a large number of the companies in it are either basically foreign and or make their profits in foreign currencies.  Therefore as the pound goes down their profits when reported in £’s goes up and so does the share price in £’s

eurortraveller replied on 25/09/2018 11:59

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:59

Crossing from a non Eu country to an EU country - have done it lots of times - Switzerland to Italy, Andorra to Spain. It never seemed a problem. 

Oneputt replied on 25/09/2018 12:44

Posted on 25/09/2018 12:44

Your absolutely right Euro, the Swiss only stop you to check you have a vignette, never had a passport check there.

replied on 25/09/2018 13:04

Posted on 25/09/2018 13:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

old ludlovian replied on 25/09/2018 13:18

Posted on 25/09/2018 13:18

I do my m/home insurance through puegeot which doesn't include European cover so when I need it just ring them up pay the extra money green card sent out in less than seven days no problem been doing this for years .also why pay the extra if you don't use in Agilent year 

Metheven replied on 25/09/2018 17:05

Posted on 25/09/2018 17:05

An extra 5 minutes or so at passport control is not going to impact on anyone's holiday.

It will if you are number one hundred in that extra 5 minute per person queue.

Milothedog replied on 25/09/2018 19:32

Posted on 25/09/2018 19:32

What a strange forum this is, I mentioned the word "Brexit" the other other day only to have the post removed. I was told it was removed because it was political tongue-out  And here we are 28 post into one about "Brexit" cool

Better not mention how moderation on here works undecided

Wherenext replied on 25/09/2018 19:39

Posted on 25/09/2018 19:39

Once we have cut through the barbed wire and outrun the Guard Dogs we generally have no problems. In recent years I have only been stopped once, when entering the Czech Republic from Linz in Austria, but nobody bothered when I re-entered Austria at the Eastern end. I remember travelling to Austria before they were in the EU and nobody stopped me when I entered from Germany.

The only thing that will affect us is the price but even then we will probably just go for less time. There's so much to enjoy so won't be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

On a practical level then I'm not worrying about things like International Driving Licence, Green Cards, EHIC etc. until the dust settles. We'll have a UK based Spring/Summer holiday and then a France based Autumn one.

If the worst happens and I find myself unwelcome then I'll find somewhere else to spend my money.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook