Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

GTP replied on 08/10/2018 12:19

Posted on 08/10/2018 12:19

Am I travelling to Europe next year ? Of course I am..and have already booked our ferry and site to attend the 75th Anniversary of the 'D' landings..which, according to the 'D' web site..will see some 40 plus Dakotas fly over the beaches, plus parachute drops by UK and US 82nd and 101 Airborne. Apparently a new memorial has been funded, from proceeds of the Libor bank scandal, to be installed somewhere...

Interestingly...from all available photos... I cannot see any GB stickers on any the vehicles that landed at Normandie...

Oneputt replied on 08/10/2018 18:31

Posted on 08/10/2018 18:31

Just back from my trip to Germany and had to negotiate the already hard border into Holland and again to exit Holland then immigration and customs in the UK so hard border would be nothing new😴

replied on 08/10/2018 18:50

Posted on 08/10/2018 18:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tammygirl replied on 08/10/2018 19:33

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:33

David, the last 2 or 3 times we've arrived back at Hull we've been sat for up to an hour waiting to clear customs.

Travelling back this time through Caen, will be interesting to see if there is still problems there.

replied on 08/10/2018 19:51

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:33 by Tammygirl

David, the last 2 or 3 times we've arrived back at Hull we've been sat for up to an hour waiting to clear customs.

Travelling back this time through Caen, will be interesting to see if there is still problems there.

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:51

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 09/10/2018 07:55

Posted on 09/10/2018 07:55

Fortunately I was first off the ferry in Harwich and 10 minutes later I was filling up with diesel at Morrison as I departed the MH that was behind me on the ferry pulled in to the garage. 

rayjsj replied on 09/10/2018 11:18

Posted on 09/10/2018 11:18

For some folk saying that the Millenium bug DID effect them, Some, mainly Goverment contractors like Thomas Delarue, Rolls Royce, ICI  were using some VERY old equipment from the late 50s early 60s, using Punch Card programming and the like,  these couldnt be updated (there were no spares available anyway) being kept alive by cannibalising other old machines.So these we took the decision to stop supporting , citing 'The Millenium Bug' . That was IBM anyway.

replied on 09/10/2018 12:26

Posted on 09/10/2018 12:26

Content has been removed.

Lew Jack replied on 12/10/2018 10:02

Posted on 12/10/2018 10:02

If only Dunclair, the original poster had left out paras 2 & 3 of that original post, perhaps all subsequent posts may have have remained politically neutral. However, there is nothing like a 'good rant' as a means of letting off steam but surely folks, all those political comments have a place elsewhere?

The original post ended by asking, "will our travelling habits change following Brexit?"

I have my own thoughts about whether or not leaving the EU will be good or bad for us Brits and believe me, so too will those who live within the EU. But I do not believe this forum is the correct place to air our political views. Let us keep to the point - will your travel habits change?

My wife and I intend to travel with our caravan to France in May via Hull/Zeebrugge come what may. We will return after a period of 6 or 7 weeks and if I need to have an International Driving Permit, I will get one. The same will apply for any other documentation/permits etc.

I hate queueing with a vengeance but nothing, I repeat, nothing will stop us travelling post Brexit to France.  Kindest regards to all.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook