Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

replied on 14/10/2018 20:05

Posted on 14/10/2018 20:05

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 14/10/2018 20:38

Posted on 14/10/2018 20:38

nothing booked but expect to 'do' the Iberian from January and then Italy/Croatia from May (not Theresawink)

will just go with whatever flow is present st the time...

David, will probanly be chatting about that one.....

Bandits replied on 15/10/2018 20:48

Posted on 15/10/2018 20:48

In the 70s I worked as a continental coach driver. I did a tour which took me through 7 countries-Uk to Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany Switzerland, Austria Italy & return. I was never stopped for long at any border and on the odd occasion I was the guards would get on the coach and just ask everyone to hold up their passports (53 passengers & me) and then say Bon Voyage/Welcome to XXX etc and off we went. There was no EHIC, No ES111, no Freedom of movement, no Euro or anything else. We had to have insurance and if anything happened we used it (I had passengers taken ill/hospitalised/died and still didn't encounter any problems.)

On returning to the UK  all the passengers (All British) had to get off the coach & walk through Passport control/Customs with their duty free to be let into the UK. This was the only place I ever got held up.

So the moral of the story after Brexit:

Will Europe still want Tourism-Yes

Will Germany still want us to buy Mercedes & BMWs-Yes

Will France/Italy Spain etc still want us to buy wine-yes

Will Europeans still want to visit Uk-Yes

The list goes on!

I suggest you allow a bit more time at getting back into the UK, Take out Red Pennant Insurance and accept you may not be able to bring as much booze back but nothing much else will change after 29th March. On a positive-Spirits would be cheaper on the return of Duty Free!

It may even get a rally on the pound after the deal is done-which it will be, this is all bravado & brinkmanship but I'll lay 10-1 the Industrialists will exert enough pressure on the politicians and a deal will be done in the end and all the scaremongering will prove groundless.

I'll still be going abroad with the van and don't envisage any problems with Interplod or anyone else for that matter

Mike

replied on 15/10/2018 22:18

Posted on 15/10/2018 20:48 by Bandits

In the 70s I worked as a continental coach driver. I did a tour which took me through 7 countries-Uk to Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany Switzerland, Austria Italy & return. I was never stopped for long at any border and on the odd occasion I was the guards would get on the coach and just ask everyone to hold up their passports (53 passengers & me) and then say Bon Voyage/Welcome to XXX etc and off we went. There was no EHIC, No ES111, no Freedom of movement, no Euro or anything else. We had to have insurance and if anything happened we used it (I had passengers taken ill/hospitalised/died and still didn't encounter any problems.)

On returning to the UK  all the passengers (All British) had to get off the coach & walk through Passport control/Customs with their duty free to be let into the UK. This was the only place I ever got held up.

So the moral of the story after Brexit:

Will Europe still want Tourism-Yes

Will Germany still want us to buy Mercedes & BMWs-Yes

Will France/Italy Spain etc still want us to buy wine-yes

Will Europeans still want to visit Uk-Yes

The list goes on!

I suggest you allow a bit more time at getting back into the UK, Take out Red Pennant Insurance and accept you may not be able to bring as much booze back but nothing much else will change after 29th March. On a positive-Spirits would be cheaper on the return of Duty Free!

It may even get a rally on the pound after the deal is done-which it will be, this is all bravado & brinkmanship but I'll lay 10-1 the Industrialists will exert enough pressure on the politicians and a deal will be done in the end and all the scaremongering will prove groundless.

I'll still be going abroad with the van and don't envisage any problems with Interplod or anyone else for that matter

Mike

Posted on 15/10/2018 22:18

ValDa replied on 15/10/2018 22:25

Posted on 15/10/2018 22:25

I like your post Bandits!  

In 1976 we drove a hired motorhome (Bedford Adventura), shared with two friends, to Czechoslovakia, which was, in those days, behind the Iron Curtain.  Once there we met and stayed with my penfriend.  Yes, we did have to stop at borders, yes, we did have to exchange currency, yes we had 'quiet conversations' in their flat, with the radio playing to prevent any listening in, but it absolutely did not stop us having a fantastic holiday  We found a welcome everywhere we went, and I've no doubt that whatever happens with Brexit we Brits will continue to holiday in Europe, and they will continue to welcome us!

Oneputt replied on 16/10/2018 07:07

Posted on 15/10/2018 22:18 by
  1. The world has changed, see how long you will need to get into Germany from Austria at the Salzburg crossing  (both Schengen) or from Croatia into Slovenia at a busy time (3 mile queue 1st of September) and that's between two EU countries.  Don't think it's going to be the 70s again with a few less fags because there are entirely  new issues now.

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:07

Wasn’t the German/Austrian delays about terrorism. 15 minute delay at the French/Swiss border to buy vignettes, not a passport in sight.

About 14 thousand EU registered trucks pass daily through non EU Switzerland on a daily basis

Going to start next April’s trip over there in the next few weeks

replied on 16/10/2018 07:12

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:12

Content has been removed.

mickysf replied on 16/10/2018 07:23

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:23

The problem could be that having left, or even during talks of leaving, why would/should it be made relatively easy for us by the other member states. Afterall if we are a member of a 'club' and leave you shouldn't expect to continue to reap the benefits of that 'club' or expect the remaining members to spend 'their' time and money helping us. Yes, life may go on and we will take those holidays but it might just be a tad more difficult to do so in several ways and most probably more costly.frown

replied on 16/10/2018 07:32

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:07 by Oneputt

Wasn’t the German/Austrian delays about terrorism. 15 minute delay at the French/Swiss border to buy vignettes, not a passport in sight.

About 14 thousand EU registered trucks pass daily through non EU Switzerland on a daily basis

Going to start next April’s trip over there in the next few weeks

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:32

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook