Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Dunclair replied on 23/10/2018 21:49

Posted on 23/10/2018 21:49

So, with less than six months to go to brexit day, it seems that we know no more about what our future European touring might be like now than we did a couple of years ago. Without in any way being political, this is an appalling state of affairs

For ourselves, I am planning a trip to the South East of France in May, an area that Jenny has visited, but I have not. The planning of routes, ACSI sites etc is part of the holiday for me, so I will have some of the enjoyment, but the doubtfulness of our being able to actually do it more than takes the shine off.

replied on 24/10/2018 08:31

Posted on 23/10/2018 21:49 by Dunclair

So, with less than six months to go to brexit day, it seems that we know no more about what our future European touring might be like now than we did a couple of years ago. Without in any way being political, this is an appalling state of affairs

For ourselves, I am planning a trip to the South East of France in May, an area that Jenny has visited, but I have not. The planning of routes, ACSI sites etc is part of the holiday for me, so I will have some of the enjoyment, but the doubtfulness of our being able to actually do it more than takes the shine off.

Posted on 24/10/2018 08:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 24/10/2018 08:45

Posted on 24/10/2018 08:45

Same old fright story being circulated, there is at least a 2 year transition period so book away to your hearts content

replied on 24/10/2018 08:59

Posted on 24/10/2018 08:59

replied on 24/10/2018 09:00

Posted on 24/10/2018 08:45 by Oneputt

Same old fright story being circulated, there is at least a 2 year transition period so book away to your hearts content

Posted on 24/10/2018 09:00

eurortraveller replied on 24/10/2018 09:15

Posted on 24/10/2018 09:15

Dunclair, your last sentence puzzles me. Do you think that all foreign travel outside the UK is going to be banned, forbidden and prohibited in future ? 

ValDa replied on 24/10/2018 09:45

Posted on 24/10/2018 09:45

Whilst it might be appalling, surely in the scheme of things it's not worth worrying about, and did anyone honestly (regardless of how they voted) really expect the EU would just say 'Fine, go ahead, leave, tell us the terms you want and we'll sign the paperwork............'. 

Just book, take out insurance, and go ahead.  I don't think there is any doubt at all that we 'won't be able to actually do it'.  Whilst we might have a bit more paperwork, and a few more hoops to jump through, is it honestly going to be a major problem?

EmilysDad replied on 24/10/2018 09:48

Posted on 24/10/2018 09:48

Why was my post removed? It wasn't defamatory or political! 

Moderator Comment

You replied to a post where that poster had commented on how people had voted in the referendum. That comment was Deleted User but remained in the quoted text of your post so there was no choice but to delete. Your reply also made a comment about how people voted. This discussion is about how travelling in the EU might change after Brexit. It should not be used to comment on how or why people voted because that encourages the thread to go off topic into an area not allowed under the T&C's. May I also remind you not to question moderating decisions on the open forum which is also against the T&C's, you should contact the Community Manager if you have a question about moderation.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook